Feature Request: filter includes child tags when selecting parent

Hi,

I know it's as designed that selecting a parent tag doesn't include notes that only have a child tag applied to it. However, I would really like this feature. I don't mind if it's a setting that should be set in the preferences or something like that, but it would make some things really a lot easier.

Thanks,

Tom

• Level 5*

Tom, I think this would be hugely powerful!

I suggested just such a feature a few years ago.

The UI could be as simple as adding a plus symbol ("+") to the Parent Tag in the Search expression for tags:

tag:business+

• Level 5*

I know it's as designed that selecting a parent tag doesn't include notes that only have a child tag applied to it. However, I would really like this feature. I don't mind if it's a setting that should be set in the preferences or something like that, but it would make some things really a lot easier.

A not uncommon topic / request. Type something like 'search parent tag' or 'search child tag' in the search box at the top right of this page, and you should find a fair amount of forum discussion. The first one that I found is this: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/15173-shouldnt-selecting-a-parent-tag-search-child-tags/, which encapsulates some of the thinking around this, including an Evernote employee's take on it, plus some approaches / ideas for implementing, e.g. augmenting the search language, special mouse-clicking (Shift+click?) on a tag in the tag tree and workarounds.

• 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, trenchantly said:

This, again, seems to be something you can do on one platform (Windows) but on no others. 

I don't know how useful this is but I can easily script child tag selection 
using the AppleScript layer that comes with Evernote on the Mac platform

For example; I produce selection lists, for example Note-Types using child tags592c31d261a37_ScreenShot2017-05-29at7_35_18AM.png.181bc0f1645a8c3f580fab1d5dad1a50.png

Also, I use a naming convention that facilitates retrieving child tags
For example     tag:!Type*

Archived