Springpad User Stiff Learning Curve

Hi,

I have always used both Springpad and Evernote.... It seemed springpad did a lot of things better/easier, so I split my allegiance between the two. Now that Springpad is leaving I converted everything to Evernote but for the life of me can not figure out a couple of things.

The first is I always saved my bookmarks in Springpad ... when they converted I see the underlined url... but when I click it nothing happens.  I even tried to create new bookmarks and they don't seem to work either.  What am I missing??? I was using latest firefox  switched to chrome did not have any effect.  I am running windows 7 , malware popup blocker antivirus.

Also... I use to use Springpad for my Grocery List.  I have tried for 10 days to figure out how to show / hide checked items on my shopping list. Finally gave up and switched to Google Keep for those lists.  I still would like to know how to see or not see checked items if anyone knows how.  

Thanks,

Debbie  :)

• Level 5*

Hi.  You are aware that Evernote is not Springpad?  There's a bit of a learning curve until you can use Evernote most effectively...  In the meantime..

1. Evernote should save bookmarks.  If it doesn't you ain't doing it right.
  2. Evernote doesn't hide checked items.  It's not possible at the present time.

On the links, when they were imported is it possible that the link was repeated as the note title? If so, you won't be able to click that. Instead you'll need to click the link in the note body. I don't know if this is the case, but it does strike me as a possible importing problem.

For grocery lists, I use a grocery app. It is so much nicer to add items and have them automatically put in the aisle of the store where they belong. Maybe springpad did this, but Evernote doesn't. There are lots of good solid grocery shopping apps out there. I'd get one. 

On the difference or learning curve, I had the reverse reaction back when the two were often compared to each other. I set up both and tried handling the same material through them, but found Evernote just tons easier to use. And the special things Springpad did, weren't done how I wanted them (for instance, for a board on a trip notebook, I wanted to spread the map of the city out over the whole board and then put notes on top of it located where they were on the map, that's how I would do it in real life), and there was also the issue which concerned me enormously, of the fact that Springpad didn't really clip information, instead it presented information to me from the original source. As an older internet user, I knew exactly what that meant for long term saving: when the site the information goes away or just changes, then the information I want is gone and maybe gone forever (despite what people say not all information put on the internet stays out there forever). 

So what I want to encourage you to do is the give Evernote some time, maybe buy a guide to it. Or at least watch the videos on using it. AND read this forum for a while, just zoom on things that sound interesting and read to learn. And if the old podcasts are still around, consider listening to the last ten or so. All those things will gently bring you up to speed and give you a sense of the power of Evernote. 

Thanks Candice and Gadzumped for your help..  

Gadzumped.. I can see the hyperlinks and they are underlined the problem is when I click on them ... it does not do anything.  I have even tried to add new ones and they don't work either.  I am thinking something is stopping them from opening?

Candice, I will definitely keep trying to solve my problems with evernote.  Thanks for the Grocery App Tip.

Debbie

• Level 5*

OK - are the links you're clicking on in the title or the body of the note?  That was Candid's point - any links in a title won't work,  but they probably will recover if you copy and paste them into the body of the note.

If it's links in the main body of the note that are misbehaving,  try copying and pasting them into any blank space below in the same note.  It might 'wake up' the link system.  If that fails,  try copying a link from your browser into a note.  Does that still work?

Short term the links will still work if you copy and paste the address into your browser address bar,  but it would be nice to find out why they're on strike...

The links are up above the title it says Created:---- Updated ----- and then the link 

Below is the Title and the body of the note.  

I did an experiment ... went directly to the evernote website and logged on ... instead of going thru the computer link and all the links work. I might try to reinstall the software on my computer?  If necessary when I need a link I guess I could log on to the website.

Thanks for your Help,

Debbie 

• Level 5*

Ahh - if the links are above the title,  they're in the space reserved for the source of the note - if your note is a copy of a web page,  that link should take you back to the original page.  And it should work from your desktop note (as long as the computer is connected to the internet) in the same way it appears to be working from Evernote Web.  I'm still hazy about why there would be a difference,  but if you click the drop down arrow to the right of the link you'll have an option to edit / clear / view the link.  Don't choose 'clear' or your link will go away - but have a look at 'edit' and try copying and repasting the link in the same place.  Maybe it just needs waking up...

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app sounds a possibly good idea - I'd wait and see what Support say first though..

:)

Archived