Evernote notebook encryption alternative

This applies to all OS versions, but, at present, for me, the issue is for a Mac and Android phone and tablet.

I'm am aware that Evernote cannot encrypt a whole notebook for various reasons of lost functionality. I dont really accept these reasons. Its like saying "a car would be easier to start, share with unlimited people, if only we didnt have those key thingies". Anyway, I accept that I have not been able to find a way to do it with my limited skill level. Please dont anyone mention the encrypted text - it does not meet my needs in anyway.

I am currently a premium customer until 11 February 2015. I have cancelled my rolling subscription and wont resubscribe if Evernote are not going to allow some way of a client side encrypted notebook; I filled the feedback form with the following "I need encrypted notebooks".

1. Is there a way that I can encrypt my notebooks, notebook at a time, on a Mac and use them on an Android?

2. What are the best Evernote alternatives, out of Beta (Turtl looks promising but carries a Beta warning) that people are thinking of using to secure their data, when their current premium subscription runs out?

It's a real pity because I've really come to rely on Evernote, with multiple OS access seems to future proof it against changing hardware by users.

Pommy

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can you explain a little further why you need your notebooks encrypted?  There are products out there that can encrypt part or all of your devices - my Galaxy S3 phone has encryption built in.  Some information is too sensitive to go online - I have local notebooks (limited to the desktop) and some doesn't even go anywhere near electronic storage.  All available solutions do require some investment of time and some require subscriptions.  I don't know of any multifunction / multi-platform "note-taking" apps with the features of EN that also includes local or online encryption for free,  and you accept that if a notebook is encrypted,  with a key that only you can know it can't be indexed for search.  Which is kind've like solving your hypothetical car share problem by designing a keyless car - and then taking the wheels off.

• Level 5*

1. Is there a way that I can encrypt my notebooks, notebook at a time, on a Mac and use them on an Android?

There is no way to do this. Notebook databases are not shared across any devices (even separates devices that use the same operating system); each device maintains its own copies of your notebooks that are populated by downloading notes from the Evernote server, which knows nothing of how notes are stored on your local device. And the databases on different devices may have different formats and/or storage requirements, so sharing via e.g., Dropbox is almost certainly a no-go (you Android device probably wouldn't know what to do with a Mac version database if it could get hold of one, and vice-versa)

A simple schematic:

[[Device 1: note database]] <== note sync ==> [[Evernote server: note database]] <== note sync ==> [[Device 1: note database]] 

Only notes are synced, databases are not.

Hi.  Can you explain a little further why you need your notebooks encrypted?  There are products out there that can encrypt part or all of your devices - my Galaxy S3 phone has encryption built in.  Some information is too sensitive to go online - I have local notebooks (limited to the desktop) and some doesn't even go anywhere near electronic storage.  All available solutions do require some investment of time and some require subscriptions.  I don't know of any multifunction / multi-platform "note-taking" apps with the features of EN that also includes local or online encryption for free,  and you accept that if a notebook is encrypted,  with a key that only you can know it can't be indexed for search.  Which is kind've like solving your hypothetical car share problem by designing a keyless car - and then taking the wheels off.

I want anything with my name and address encrypted. The search function is an add on that would be nice but not necessary for such data. It is my choice to want to do that with anything that I would put online and I believe that with recent data breaches, including Evernote 2013, a choice by the end user would be a solution. With respect to the wheels off analogy, I suppose that I would like to be able to put the wheels on myself and drive off!

There is no way to do this. Notebook databases are not shared across any devices (even separates devices that use the same operating system); each device maintains its own copies of your notebooks that are populated by downloading notes from the Evernote server, which knows nothing of how notes are stored on your local device. And the databases on different devices may have different formats and/or storage requirements, so sharing via e.g., Dropbox is almost certainly a no-go (you Android device probably wouldn't know what to do with a Mac version database if it could get hold of one, and vice-versa)

A simple schematic:

[[Device 1: note database]] <== note sync ==> [[Evernote server: note database]] <== note sync ==> [[Device 1: note database]] 

Thanks for the straight answer.

What are the alternatives that people are aware off or using.

• 2 weeks later...

I want anything with my name and address encrypted. The search function is an add on that would be nice but not necessary for such data. It is my choice to want to do that with anything that I would put online and I believe that with recent data breaches, including Evernote 2013, a choice by the end user would be a solution. With respect to the wheels off analogy, I suppose that I would like to be able to put the wheels on myself and drive off!

A simple schematic:

Thanks for the straight answer.

What are the alternatives that people are aware off or using.

You could look at buying a Transporter device for storing sensitive documents outside of the cloud. I heard about it on the Mac Power user podcast episode about Evernote. When they got to the subject of financial/sensitive information, one person on the show trusted the TFA, the other said they used Transported for storage and retrieval of sensitive information. I've never tried it , but you can start your search for more secure solution there -> http://www.filetransporter.com  Personally, I'm satisfied with TFA. 

• Level 5*

Hi. Encrypted notebooks have been requested but we do not know when or even if they will be made available. In the meantime, there are a few nice solutions:

1) Local notebooks + remote login for computer access. Not so great if you travel a lot without Internet access or have sketchy connections, but perfect if you have a stable, trustworthy connection.

2) Sensitive materials in other apps like VoodooPad or DevonThink that have encryption and/or local sync through your wifi network. You'll take a hit in terms of functionality (iOS, in particular, is a slog with both apps), but they have their strong points, and I have been pleased with both of them. One of the huge weaknesses, especially if you have Android or Windows devices, is that they are limited to the Appleverse. 

3) MacMiniColo. This is similar to #1, but basically your own computer in the cloud. The same problem as #1 if you are working offline, but this way you  know it is always accessible anytime.

As far as I know, there is nothing that allows for cross-platform notetaking with encryption. What about OneNote? Well, it is kind of anemic on iOS and the Mac, but, more importantly, Microsoft has the keys to the encryption, and (in my opinion) they don't value the security / privacy of their customers enough. From my perspective, this is a great opportunity for Evernote, but there is no way to know how they feel about it. 

• 1 month later...

I have been using B-Folders (in Google Play) for quite some time.  It does peer-to-peer synchronization.   It marketed as a "password briefcase" but its far more flexible than that.  THe entire database is encrypted and password protected.  It syncs between Android devices (any number) and Windows (any number).  

I have now switched to Evernote for my non-sensitive notes for three reasons:

1. The synchronization (in B-Folders) is manual - so I had to manually remember to sync between two Android and three Windows devices.  Too much to remember especially when I was using PC, tablet and phone throughout the day.

2. B-Folders is only for simple text notes - no attachments.  This was OK for most of my note taking ... but not being able to include sketches, pics, pdf's etc was getting a more of a problem.

3. B-Folders has no ability to link notes.

I now run both in parallel - B-Folders for sensitive stuff ... which doesn't change too often, hence the sync issue isn't so much of a problem; and Evernote for everything else!

• 1 month later...

As many of you have said, local encryption can be properly taken care of through fully/partially encrypted disks, for example, and I have completed migrated to using SEDs (self-encrypting drives). With more and more mobile devices supporting full-device encryption and, thus, slowly becoming acceptable devices for enterprise class mobile computing, I am getting less worried about that platform as well. This way nobody can access my data if they manage to get their hands on my physical devices.

What I have not been able to find, or what I am "most worried about", is the lacking full encryption of my data on the Evernote hosted server. It is extremely unacceptable that secure data is stored on a cloud device that is providing encryption. Evernote only specifies that they now use AES 128 for their "text-in-note encryption" and SSL for data-in-transit. As long as the Evernote hosted DB is not encrypted with a passphrase of our choosing we all run the risk of personal data exposure. In case of a data breach in the Evernote cloud we are all prone to personal data disclosures ... and the more people use Evernote (and it's a great tool) the more malicious agressors will find it lucrative to attack this host.

I would really like to see a roadmap from the Evernote Security Architecture team about how they are planning to tackle this hurdle in the future.

Or maybe I am missing the FAQ or support doc that they are already doing this ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Evernote, whilst an excellent tool, frustrates greatly due to its lack of encryption of Notebooks, plus overall encryption.

I keep going to place material on Evernote, then think "ooops, that is too risky."

Then I have to seek an alternative, which is unresolved.

Where do I place my passport and credit card details that sync to my phone, are easily accessible like Evernote?

I use Lastpass and am exploring if it can store an encrypted copy of the face page of my passport.

Evernote seem to be dragging their feet badly on developing encryption in their product, which is a great pity, as there surely is a leakage of clients away from Evernote.

Seahound

• Level 5*

Lastpass != Evernote. Evernote does things that Lastpass doesn't.

Evernote *could* do full notebook encryption. They chose not to, awhile back. Maybe they'll change their mind in the future, maybe not.

Yep. Either they don't see a business case that justifies spending the time and money necessary to add that feature , they don't think it that feature fits their vision for the product, perhaps they want to but it isn't technically feasible without rewriting the entire app, they don't want to...who knows? It's their product so it's their decision .

From the end user perspective, you can send them feedback explaining why you think encrypted notebooks are a good idea. beyond that, you are stuck looking for another product or finding another way of securing your name and address.

good luck.

To keep the discussion running: I would be more than happy to have an encrypted Notebook, which would be provided to me with zero cool features (server search, ocr, etc) just plain sync across devices.

This would allow me to store much more than I do now.

Dear EN team, please consider this one more voice pro full notebook encryption.

As an Evernote user since 2008Evernotes' strength is simply putting anything I wish to keep in a Gmail, then sending it to EvernoteLater it can be placed in a Notebook. A simple 

efficient method of storage.

Syncing across my PC, tablet and smartphone is also aEvernote strength

But Evernotes’ inability to encrypt images and notebooks has become a major weakness in this era of extensive hacking and identify theft.

Putting anything remotely personal in Evernote is asking for it.

Placing personal information on Lastpass takes several steps more than Evernote, but oh, a small price to pay for top security supported by dual authentication. 

The only material I now put on Evernote is that which would bore a hacker witless.

Evernote was once an excellent product, but has not kept up with the times, that sees hordes of government and private hackers round the globe. Such screams out that Evernote notebook 

encryption is fundamental. 

It just needs Lastpass to enable input into one’s vault by email, and I will be another who has left Evernote.

Seahound

Much of my material in my Evernote is not security worthy: recipes, my children's artwork, debate club files, etc.

But for things like the passport file mentioned above, I use an encryption program on my computer before putting them in Evernote.

I believe this makes them unsearchable, but a good note title fixes that.

• 2 months later...

Yep. Either they don't see a business case that justifies spending the time and money necessary to add that feature , they don't think it that feature fits their vision for the product, perhaps they want to but it isn't technically feasible without rewriting the entire app, they don't want to...who knows? It's their product so it's their decision .

What I don't get is how Evernote has focused on so much business function -- sharing of documents, chat, etc -- but little on what really matters to businesses: Keeping their data safe. My business expressly forbids the use of Evernote for exactly that reason. It's why I use if for personal items that have little privacy or security risk. But if there's any risk at all, I put the information where it can't be easily accessed. This really needs to be rethought and re-prioritized.

• 2 weeks later...

I too would like to see Evernote get encrypted notebooks on its radar.

To those who say it can't be done.  It really isn't theoretically impossible.  But I do concede it would be a ton of work on Evernote's part. We're talking a whole new application architecture to do it right.   A level of work that they haven't yet figured out a way to market it in a way that would pay back for its development.  

I think Steve Z is on to something with the business angle.  And as a many year pro user, I would pay premium for that kind of upgrade.  It would set evernote miles apart.  But the cloud app game is young.  And every body is still feeling their way around.

I do know this... If Evernote EVER got hacked like Sony, and all my stuff was stolen, lawyers would be called.

Oh, on another related note...

ONENOTE has encrypted sections.  They've decided it was too important to leave out.  Now they do have these disclaimers:

1. You might not be able to view password protected sections on all devices.

2. Audio and Video recordings aren't protected

3. To search password protected sessions you need to unlock them first.

So they went with a limited implementation model that provides something over nothing.   For me, these 3 caveats would be perfectly acceptable in Evernote encrypted notebooks.

Hmmm... Onenote eh?   hmmmm....

Archived