Evernote extension: serious UX flaws and fixes

MountainMike

Idea

I consider the current functionality of Evernote atrocious, given its length of development, user base and resources available to it.

There are major issues that interfere with usability and have me cursing the developers every single day I use it.

1. The extension itself lags and interrupts tagging - my tags are sometimes broken into 3 pieces as I type because the extension interrupts the process multiple times. Consistent issue, unacceptable. UX fail.
  2. The broken tags (partial words) that result from UX issue#1 often lack the ability to delete (the small "x" does not appear) until I click over to the "tags" field and back to the individual tags. UX flaw.
  3. The extension should perform string matching instantly from the local database; instead, it lags. UX flaw.
  4. The extension should deliver "recently used tags" and "most used tags" options to facilitate clickable tagging. Obvious feature lacking. UX deficiency.
  5. The extension should clip near-instantly to local storage and synchronize in the background, not clip directly to the internet. I am left waiting dozens of seconds often, and sometimes the sync fails entirely and I must retry. UX fail.

One further suggestion for the desktop client - just to get this complaint and suggestion complete: tags which are manually typed in should have an automatic type associated with them for easy searching. Similarly, all notes from web clipper should have a universal type applied.

Those clipper issues I think are really indicative of lack of effort or diligence on Evernote's part. You've been at this years, you've built up a customer base of millions; and these features have been obvious every step of the way. Your software leads by sheer inertia and momentum, not by excellence. Please correct these specific deficiencies, and your software will be tremendously more user-friendly and useful.

Looking forward to the improvements, and the Evernote staff response.

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*

Which OS are you running on? This can help to diagnose any performance problems you're referring to.

At a guess, the web clipper and the local client databases are kept isolated from each other by intent, possibly because of OS rules. Evernote staffer jbignert, who patrols these halls, may correct me on this, though.

Edit: ah, I see that you've seen his answer on this already, elsewhere in the forum.

One further suggestion for the desktop client - just to get this complaint and suggestion complete: tags which are manually typed in should have an automatic type associated with them for easy searching.

Not sure what you mean by "automatic type". Tags are typeless (e.g. no intrinsic semantic content), but maybe I misunderstand what you're trying to say. As this is a suggestion for the Evernote clients as a while, you're probably better off posting this separately in the General Evernote Discussion forum or the Evernote client forum.

Archived