Title Deletes Itself

ursula

Idea

Don't know if this is a bug, but it sure is annoying.

Whenever I create a new note on my Mac, as I am typing in the title, it suddenly highlights what I've typed and deletes it as I strike the next key. 

I thought I saw something about this in the forum a while back, but a search did not turn up any similar problem. If anyone can point me to a solution, i would be most grateful as this is happening every time I name a note. 

25 replies to this idea

My titles get deleted on version 6.0 (451092 App Store) on my Mac running OS X 10.10.1. It also has happened on my iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.1.1.

This behavior happens randomly when I am just trying to open a note inside a notebook. Not only will the note not display, but my title gets deleted. I am not trying to edit anything, just trying to open the note.

I am not very happy about this. I hope this gets fixed. I am a Premium subscriber.

Who wants to try and memorize the title of each note (so you can type it back when whenever Evernote app decides it will allow you into the note)?

I just found this thread after googling this, it certainly is confusing.  It jumps to the wrong note when I hit the enter key to go down a line after typing the title. Thanks for the idea about not sorting by title, I'll remember that and hopefully that will work. Also the idea about not ticking 'show notes in groups'. Not sure I wanna try the beta just yet. 

By the way, seeing as this is my first post, I just swapped from OneNote, which meant redoing 300 notes, but it was well worth it for the sort function, and also for tagging. 

Hi RMartin,

I just tried you steps and was able to replicate the problem In Evernote 5.5.2 (402634 Direct) for Mac.  It is similar to an issue we already have support tickets submitted for but it is different, You should probably submit a ticket for it.  

I can record a video if you need one.

Thanks JimKn - I've submitted a ticket for this. 

I can say I have the exact same problem with notetitles getting selected and overwritten. But It is a very erratic behaviour and not really connected with anything mentioned here (empty notebook, create note with tags etc). There is no way to see why and when this is happening. But it happens. And it's disturbing when I'm in a flow of working.

Do you have "Show Notes in Groups" was checked and use the snippet view? If so maybe your problem is the one I have documented here:

https://discussion.e...ng-title-aargh/

Reported to Evernote March 20014.

To reproduce:

1) I make a new notebook called test

2) click new note button, enter title "Test", then some misc text in the note area (no problem here, expected behavior)

3) click new note button, enter title "King", the note moves above Test in the note list, I then enter some misc text in the note area. (no problem here, expected behavior)

4) click new note button, enter title "Queen" (since this starts with a Q instead of a K there is no problem), this note moves below "King" but above test, I then enter some misc text in the note area. (no problem here, expected behavior)

5) click new note button, enter title "Knight", the note moves below "King" and above "Queen" but the focus jumps to the "King" note. This is where the problem is.

since "Knight" starts with a K after I type the title Evernote jumps out of the new note titled "Knight" and jumps to the note titled "King".

If this is the problem you are having you can just uncheck "Show Notes in Groups" until they fix it.  Two of us have tickes in on the issue I describe.  My ticket from March 26 2014 Ticket #426858.  FirePanther’s ticket from August 2014 Ticket #681069.  I have had no problems since I unchecked the groups option and have no problem waiting for them to fix that.

I can say I have the exact same problem with notetitles getting selected and overwritten. But It is a very erratic behaviour and not really connected with anything mentioned here (empty notebook, create note with tags etc). There is no way to see why and when this is happening. But it happens. And it's disturbing when I'm in a flow of working.

Hi RMartin,

I just tried you steps and was able to replicate the problem In Evernote 5.5.2 (402634 Direct) for Mac.  It is similar to an issue we already have support tickets submitted for but it is different, You should probably submit a ticket for it.  

I can record a video if you need one.

This happens to me multiple times a day but I could never figure out what triggered the bug. I finally have; it happens if you pause while typing the title of a new note going into an otherwise empty notebook.

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem in Evernote Mac 5.5.1:

• Start with an empty notebook (My Inbox notebook is frequently empty so I often create a new note there when it's empty)
  • Click File->New Note or the "New Note in..." button 
  • Start typing the note's title and pause typing for a few seconds
  • The part you've typed will highlight and get typed over if you continue typing

I often put dates in my note titles, so when I pause typing to look away to reference my calendar or something, my note title gets obliterated and then I swear.

An obvious workaround would be to always keep a dummy note in any usually empty notebooks, but it would be great if this could be fixed.

It happens pretty often but not systematically. I'm using Evernote 5.5.2 on Mac OSX 10.9.4. I usually create a new note by pressing Cmd+N and then I start typing the note title and it happens that my title is half cut because I overwrite it.

You can find a screen capture here : http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/84583785/file.html

It happens 50% of the times when I'm viewing my notes within a tag and then create a new note. 

• Level 5

After the Search, I was editing the Title of one of the Notes.  As soon as I changed/removed the Title word that I had searched for, Evernote immediately removed the Note from the results list, and set focus on the Title of the next Note.  It did all this while I was typing -- at no point had I pressed TAB nor ENTER.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've reported the issue internally.

• Level 5*

I just had a similar thing happen.  I had a Search filter on a particular word in Note Title

After the Search, I was editing the Title of one of the Notes.  As soon as I changed/removed the Title word that I had searched for, Evernote immediately removed the Note from the results list, and set focus on the Title of the next Note.  It did all this while I was typing -- at no point had I pressed TAB nor ENTER.

So while I was typing all of a sudden another Note is put in focus, the Title auto-selected, and the next character I typed replaces the entire Title on the WRONG Note.

Evernote Team:  It seems to be that Evernote should follow UI standards that have been in place for decades.  NO changes or actions should happen while the user is in the middle of entering text in a field.  So, you should wait until the user presses either TAB or ENTER before processing changes to the Title (or any other) field.  And BTW, if the user presses ESC, then the Title should be restored to that prior to the user start of changes.

• Level 5*

Don't know if this is a bug, but it sure is annoying.

Whenever I create a new note on my Mac, as I am typing in the title, it suddenly highlights what I've typed and deletes it as I strike the next key. 

I thought I saw something about this in the forum a while back, but a search did not turn up any similar problem. If anyone can point me to a solution, i would be most grateful as this is happening every time I name a note. 

Here is another possible reason this can happen, IF you are typing directly on the laptop KB.  If your palm (or any part of your hand) accidentally touches the touch pad in the right way, it can cause the app (any app, not just EN) to think you have just selected the entire line.

• Level 5

Well, not really.  With the Sort set as Title, it is doing exactly what we set it to do.  Change that first letter, and Off we go to the races!

That is not expected behaviour. If you change the title of a note while sorting by title, the position of the note in the list should change, but the selection should remain the same.

I can't reproduce this issue with 5.5.1, and I'm stumped as to why the two of you can. What version of Mac OS are you on? What view is your note list in? Anything else you can think of that might help me reproduce this?

Yes, thank you! - I followed your suggestion, changed the sort order, and it no longer deletes the title or highlights it. 

This does seem like peculiar behavior, however. 

What version of Evernote are you using?

I am using 5.5.1 and I noticed when I am editing a Note Title things change quickly on me and I figured out what it is.  If I have the Sort set to sort by Title, AS I type the first letter of the new Title, EN will very quickly move the Note accordingly.  If I don't pay attention to this, a DIFFERENT Note will populate my window.  THUS, the Title of this different Note is automatically highlighted, so if I continue to type, I will delete the Title of the newly appearing Note and overwrite it's title.

So, I learned to type my Titles by highlighting the title text, deleting it, and adding the new Title slowly and smoothly, being careful to watch if EN moves the note on me before I am finished typing the title.

This may be what is going on in your case.  To keep this from happening all together, change the Sort to anything other than by Title.

Did that make sense?

Archived