...Thesis - bibliography - integration with Zotero

Hi

i am new to Evernote

i am writing my graduate thesis and was wondering if Evernote can generate APA citations or can it be integrated with a product like Zotero

also - has anyone used Evernote for managing the data for their thesis?

any suggestions?

many thanks

-Ethan

• Level 5*

Hi.  AFAIK Evernote can't generate APA citations,  neither can it be 'integrated' with anything.  It's great for saving and finding information,  and as a basis for various working processes including (I would imagine) drafting a thesis.  But what you see is pretty much what you get...

I keep my reading notes in Evernote and I use Zotero to create a full bibliographic reference that I use as the first line of the note and use the author-date-title portion of that for the note name.

The easiest way I have found is to select the desired reference in Zotero, select "create bibliographic reference from selection" (or whatever the exact wording is), choose your style, select "clipboard" as the destination, and then you can just paste that reference into Evernote. 

So, this way, all of my notes are nice and easily searchable in Evernote, full APA reference at the top of the note if I need to do a quick copy/paste of it into somewhere else. But Zotero and Evernote do not communicate directly and both serve very different purposes in my workflow. 

I also keep some data in Evernote, but because of ethical concerns (Around confidentiality), I am careful about what I put in Evernote (i'm sure it is perfectly safe, but still... this is other people's data on the line after all!). 

Thank you

i was wondering if you have seen EasyBib Notebook

it has a cool interface

it lets you organize your notes as if you are using notecards and can view them accordingly

very cool

will Evernote allow me to do the same?

i haven't found a single review of it

just wondering

thank you

-Ethan

• 4 months later...

I keep my reading notes in Evernote and I use Zotero to create a full bibliographic reference that I use as the first line of the note and use the author-date-title portion of that for the note name.

The easiest way I have found is to select the desired reference in Zotero, select "create bibliographic reference from selection" (or whatever the exact wording is), choose your style, select "clipboard" as the destination, and then you can just paste that reference into Evernote. 

So, this way, all of my notes are nice and easily searchable in Evernote, full APA reference at the top of the note if I need to do a quick copy/paste of it into somewhere else. But Zotero and Evernote do not communicate directly and both serve very different purposes in my workflow. 

I also keep some data in Evernote, but because of ethical concerns (Around confidentiality), I am careful about what I put in Evernote (i'm sure it is perfectly safe, but still... this is other people's data on the line after all!). 

Thanks for this!!! I used to have a blank word doc open and insert a full citation from the word script menu then cut and paste - never thought of this thanks for making y life easier

DC

Hi

i am new to Evernote

i am writing my graduate thesis and was wondering if Evernote can generate APA citations or can it be integrated with a product like Zotero

also - has anyone used Evernote for managing the data for their thesis?

any suggestions?

many thanks

-Ethan

Hi, Yes I am doing just this for an MA. I use Evernote to collect data and to store my notes especially my book notes but I find its txt handling very clunky (no proper tabs etc) so now I keep all my notes in Word and attach the Word file to an Evernote note and always edit from the Evernote copy. I use Zotero for my citations and for my bibliography.

I then "share" the Evernote note to generate a url that I paste into the Zotero item notes so that I can get to it either from Zotero or Evernote.

Its a public share but only people who have the url can access it. Not ideal as if you ever give up using Evernote I think you would lose the links. You also need to export your Evernote notes to your local machine as they are of course all held on the cloud and attachments are copied not pointed to so your "original" is not updated.

Hope this helps

Archived