Showing full documents (excel, pdf, etc) in evernote notes?

Hello EN community!

So I attached my first spreadsheet to a note today (yay!).

Do you think it'd be even better if the document would show up natively in the note itself, so that we don't have to open it up in the external application? What do you think? It's not too big a deal for me, but it just seems like it would enhance the user experience.

SahilC, generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with doing that.  However, with Excel for example, you will lose the functionality of Excel's features.  The data becomes "flat", if you will.  You could still make edits in cells, but any formula functions would not interact with your additional information input in cells.

You may also find it difficult to copy/paste PDF files into a Note.  Not all of the content will paste, nor paste in the format of the pdf.

Word documents contents would copy/paste fairly well, but you may lose some of the formatting as well.  Text documents should copy/paste fairly well, since EN is a basic text editor.

So, overall, you may find that attaching those type of documents to a Note would be your best option.  But I like the way you are thinking!

SahilC, generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with doing that.  However, with Excel for example, you will lose the functionality of Excel's features.  The data becomes "flat", if you will.  You could still make edits in cells, but any formula functions would not interact with your additional information input in cells.

You may also find it difficult to copy/paste PDF files into a Note.  Not all of the content will paste, nor paste in the format of the pdf.

Word documents contents would copy/paste fairly well, but you may lose some of the formatting as well.  Text documents should copy/paste fairly well, since EN is a basic text editor.

So, overall, you may find that attaching those type of documents to a Note would be your best option.  But I like the way you are thinking!

Oh yeah, I didn't even think of that disadvantage. My bad!

Here is an example of copy/paste of a Table from a Word document directly into a Note, as you mentioned above.  All of the cells in the table can be edited/filled in as Form, and the Note can be used as a Template for additional Notes.  This works very well for my use case.

Yeah, that works really well! The specific use case I was thinking of, though, was a spreadsheet for Expenses, for example. At the end of the month on the spreadsheet, you can add up all the values to get a final amount. But like you said, in translating a spreadsheet from excel to EN, we'd lose that calculation feature :(

Archived