Managing the monthly 60 Mb allocation limits on free accounts

when I export the contents of one free account onto another free account in order to consolidate, does it lower the  monthly limit in any of the 2 free accounts (as in lowering the remaining free space on the 60 Mb limit by the same amount of data transfered)?

• Level 5

No, Evernote only measures their cap with uploads. Removing data has no impact on the cap.

Due to scalability problems with my 30,000 notes, I ended up buying two premium accounts temporarily.

No, Evernote only measures their cap with uploads. Removing data has no impact on the cap.

Due to scalability problems with my 30,000 notes, I ended up buying two premium accounts temporarily.

So importing into a free account is not considered "upload" towards monthly cap?

• Level 5

So importing into a free account is not considered "upload" towards monthly cap?

No that is not correct. Evernote only measures their cap with uploads whether it is a free account or a premium account. The benefit of the premium account is the huge increase in the cap.

"Get 1GB of monthly upload capacity and an increased max note size of 100MB"

• Level 5*

I think there may be some confusion about terminology here. If you import notes into a synced notebook in another account, all of it will be synced to the servers and counted against the new account's upload limit. The import would be accomplished by first exporting (probably in .enex format) the notes from the first account and then importing them into the second.

A notebook shared from account 1 to account 2, though, has no effect on upload amounts since the content has already been uploaded -- nothing new is being uploaded from account 2 because it is simply accessing the existing data. It is owned by the 1st account, so any modifications or edits to notes in that notebook will count against the upload limit of the 1st account, even if you are logged into the second one when you make them.

Theoretically, as some users have probably figured out, you could create 10 accounts, share their notebooks with an 11th one, and the 11th one would essentially have 600MB of upload allowance per month (60MB per notebook -- each free account can share one notebook with full modifications privileges). This is clunky, of course, and I think a little dishonest (an attempt to circumvent Evernote's revenue model), but it would work and it demonstrates the point that upload allowances are attached to the owners of notebooks.

Here is some more information about account limits:

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

I think there may be some confusion about terminology here. If you import notes into a synced notebook in another account, all of it will be synced to the servers and counted against the new account's upload limit. The import would be accomplished by first exporting (probably in .enex format) the notes from the first account and then importing them into the second.

A notebook shared from account 1 to account 2, though, has no effect on upload amounts since the content has already been uploaded -- nothing new is being uploaded from account 2 because it is simply accessing the existing data. It is owned by the 1st account, so any modifications or edits to notes in that notebook will count against the upload limit of the 1st account, even if you are logged into the second one when you make them.

Theoretically, as some users have probably figured out, you could create 10 accounts, share their notebooks with an 11th one, and the 11th one would essentially have 600MB of upload allowance per month (60MB per notebook -- each free account can share one notebook with full modifications privileges). This is clunky, of course, and I think a little dishonest (an attempt to circumvent Evernote's revenue model), but it would work and it demonstrates the point that upload allowances are attached to the owners of notebooks.

Great contribution GrumpyMonkey, very didactic and educational. Thank you.

Regarding your opinion that having control on more than one Evernote free account "is a little dishonest"

I strongly disagree with you.

• Level 5*

Great contribution GrumpyMonkey, very didactic and educational. Thank you.

Regarding your opinion that having control on more than one Evernote free account "is a little dishonest"

I strongly disagree with you.

Hi. Glad I could help. As someone who has multiple Evernote accounts, including free ones, I'd like to point out that I did not mean to imply that having more than one free account was dishonest. I did, however, say that having a lot of them (I gave the number 11) expressly for the purpose of circumventing the upload limit by chaining them together in the way I described seems dishonest to me. The difference would be intent. I have at least two accounts, for example, that I use for testing the beta apps. That seems like a relatively benign use case. I am sure there are countless others, including JB's example above, that are perfectly understandable.

Can I ask how you manage different accounts of evernote from one machine? I've often thought about separating personal and work notes into 2 accounts, but as you can only have one instance of evernote running, it seems impractical?

Can I ask how you manage different accounts of evernote from one machine? I've often thought about separating personal and work notes into 2 accounts, but as you can only have one instance of evernote running, it seems impractical?

I use the Windows desktop with one account & the web app (same computer) on another account.

• Level 5

Yes, it is impractical for many uses. In my case, I have some very specific clearly defined topics that go to my secondary account. The current stuff goes to my primary account.  

Of course the preferred option would be for Evernote to address the scalability issue. That would allow me and others to keep everything in one account.

Other people can manage different accounts using the sharing process, which on the surface, seemed to work fine at first. But after running into some hiccups, I decided to go for full separation - two accounts on the same computer (and same Windows directory) which I log onto individually at different times - 2 passwords, 2 email addresses, 2 user IDs.

I use the Windows desktop with one account & the web app (same computer) on another account.

Oh, OK. I never liked the web interface, so thats not an option for me. 

Oh, OK. I never liked the web interface, so thats not an option for me.

If you haven't tried it lately, you should. It's still not as robust as the desktop client. But it's a lot better than it used to be & normally works pretty well for my daily use.

• Level 5

One additional comment on two separate accounts on the same computer.

I swap back and forth with >File >Switch to "my alternate account"

There is also a shortcut:  Ctl + Alt + A

IMO, the account switching is only helpful if you aren't regularly using both accounts. It's easy to use one account & then switch to another. But if you're regularly using both accounts throughout the day, it's easier to use a combo of the desktop/web client instead of constantly switching back & forth.

• Level 5*

It may be feasible for some workflows to manage separate accounts by sharing notebooks back and forth. I do this between work (free) and home (premium); I work at home one day per week, and this arrangement works fine for me with the work account sharing one notebook as editable (you get one of these in a free account) and a couple of others as non-editable. On the rare occasion that I need more than that, I can usually solve things by using the web interface.

It may be feasible for some workflows to manage separate accounts by sharing notebooks back and forth. I do this between work (free) and home (premium); I work at home one day per week, and this arrangement works fine for me with the work account sharing one notebook as editable (you get one of these in a free account) and a couple of others as non-editable. On the rare occasion that I need more than that, I can usually solve things by using the web interface.

This option used to work well for me in some situations (transferring notes from one account to another), until the "ghost notes" bug was introduced.  If anyone elects to go this route and you're using the Windows desktop, be aware there is currently a bug in the Windows desktop client where it retains "ghost notes", if the owner of the notebook shared to you, moves the notes out of a notebook that is shared to you.. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58882-notes-in-shared-notebook-doesnt-get-deleted-on-client/

• Level 5*

This option used to work well for me in some situations (transferring notes from one account to another), until the "ghost notes" bug was introduced.  If anyone elects to go this route and you're using the Windows desktop, be aware there is currently a bug in the Windows desktop client where it retains "ghost notes", if the owner of the notebook shared to you, moves the notes out of a notebook that is shared to you.. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58882-notes-in-shared-notebook-doesnt-get-deleted-on-client/

Yeah, that's modulo Evernote working correctly, of course. Good catch.

Archived