Migrating from Springpad

First, let me say that I am incredibly disappointed that Springpad will no longer be functional. I actually switched from Evernote (when I had a blackberry) to Springpad because of the variety of features that Springpad offered. But, now I am being forced to switch back. 

One of the features I used regularly within Springpad was the ability to capture a book's title/information by simply scanning a barcode. The reality is that this worked on any product. I am an avid reader and loved visiting the bookstore and scanning a book I wanted to read for future use. 

With that being said, what is the best way of doing this with Evernote, since scanning the barcode is NOT an option with this app? Taking a photo of the book cover doesn't appeal to me either. 

Thanks in Advance, 

A Sad Springpad Lover

Using a browser on a Mac Or Windows machine, you could clip the information from the book's page on Amazon or similar. It would be a bit more of an effort on a mobile device. If you sent/pasted the link to a webpage about the book into Evernote then opened the link through Evernote, you can then save the webpage back to Evernote fairly nicely.

You might also check in the Evernote Market to see if there are any apps to facilitate this process.

Best of luck.

Yeah, that option sucks. When I am at a bookstore, I am not playing with my phone for 15 minutes to save a file. Instead, I am looking over books that I would like to read. So, with Springpad, I would simply scan the barcode, let it find the information, and then save the information. No searching for the information on Amazon, etc. 

15 minutes?!? More like two. Personally, I take pictures of the cover, sometimes the back and look things up later. I realize you've stated that that is yet another option that doesn't appeal to you. However, if Springpad is gone and you wish to keep capturing such information, you'll probably have to accept some inferior workaround as Evernote doesn't currently have such a feature.

Depending on the type of phone you have, there may well be apps that will do what Springpad did with book barcodes. Some of them might even have a way of exporting the resultant information to Evernote.

Best of luck.

Yes, you are correct. I am actually looking into other options at this time. I was coming here to see if anyone knew of any apps that had an export option or similar to Evernote, hence my "With that being said, what is the best way of doing this with Evernote, since scanning the barcode is NOT an option with this app?" portion of my post. 

Even 2 minutes is a bit ridiculous when using Springpad took less than 30 seconds. 

You actually didn't mention apps in your original post, merely asked for suggestions on ways to get the information into Evernote. Apparently, I've nothing useful to offer you. Good luck with your search.

• Level 5*

I use an Android app (Book Catalogue) which scans barcodes and 'looks up' the book details on Amazon / Goodreads / LibraryThing - it doesn't directly interface with Evernote,  but it works fine for me...

I use the Amazon app to scan book UPCs. I then tend to use Wish Lists to funnel books into categories that work for me.

However I think if you want a lot of sorting of book lists, I'd go with an app like gazumped suggests.

• Level 5*

I really doubt that Evernote will ever build this type of functionality themselves, but you never know a third party developer might think it is worthwhile.

Yeah, that option sucks. When I am at a bookstore, I am not playing with my phone for 15 minutes to save a file.

Not to save a file, but to save a buck. How about you support the bookstore and buy the book.

Nobody "forced" you to come back to Evernote. I don't get your attitude and sense of entitlement.

Yeah, that option sucks. When I am at a bookstore, I am not playing with my phone for 15 minutes to save a file.

Not to save a file, but to save a buck. How about you support the bookstore and buy the book.

Nobody "forced" you to come back to Evernote. I don't get your attitude and sense of entitlement.

Shannonkish is a new user here. How about we try to make them feel welcome? Just think about how you would feel if it had been Evernote that had gone under and you'd had to consider migrating to something else.

Best of luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello Springpad nostalgics !

I've created an app to solve this : Barcodes for Evernote.

You can download it on Google Play for free : https://play.google....odesforevernote

As of today, it's only available on Android. However, if you want an iPhone version, please upvote this issue :

https://bitbucket.or...rnote/issues/1/

Cheers !

Nathan - Desaxed Studios

Okay tool

Maybe I fix a new Evernote account and start cataloging my books...

• Level 5*

I use a separate app - Book Catalogue (Android,  not sure about iOS) - but the Barcodes tool does a good job - thanks! 

Feature request though;  thumbnail of the cover art required please  - lists of books are easier to scan down if you can go by the pictures rather than the titles...

Archived