norm3

How to Email to Evernote account but add headers

I sometimes forward an email to my evernote account to create a Note but I also sometimes find it more efficient to bcc an email to my evernote.

However, if I bcc I end up having an email created Note in Evernote that does not have any headers and really on a glance does not even look like an email.

Is there a simple way to make a bcc email created Note look like a forwarded email with headers?

Thank you for any tips.

• Like 1

Your first sentence is a little confusing to me, but I will try to answer your last question.

Whenever you send an email into Evernote, it creates a Note with a Title that is the title of the email.  You can edit the title of the email with whatever you want.  That could be one Header.

You can also type another Header or whatever else you want, at the top of the email.

Is this what you are asking for?

I probably confused everyone. Sorry.

And to answer your question: No.

I'll try again....

If I forward an email, it arrives as an Evernote Note just like it would if it was in my email client. Subject is: Fwd: xxxxxx and in the body of the Note is the forwarded email complete with when forwarded and then in quotes the full email with its header on top. Identical to what I'd see in my email client.

It would be nice to have the Note be without the quotes but it is OK for my purposes. It works well enough as the base for a Note in Evernote that I'm creating.

However, if I bcc an email. I again get as a Note what I would as an email in my email client.... The subject and the body of the email. But I'd like more. I would like to have the header so I would know to whom and when the email is sent. That is missing since the headers of incoming emails to Evernote are not included.

My workaround today is to send an email, not bcc and then forwarded that sent email to Evernote. That is OK but not very efficient and the extra step is one more opportunity for me to forget to send that email to Evernote. ;)

I hope this is clearer.

Thanks for any ideas or a better workaround or just confirmation that what I'm doing is the only option.

Thank you.

• Like 4

Maybe you can do an automation within your mailing client.

I'd think IFTTT might be able to help with this,  or as @SebR suggests a rule within your mail could help.  To take it one stage further you can set up 'sub' emails in some web clients like Gmail,  so could maybe create something like a norm3.archive@gmail address which would allow you to openly CC a copy email and then use Gmail rules to forward that to your Evernote address.  Maybe.

• Like 1

I have this same frustration. I'd like to be able to bcc to my Evernote (for example contracts, key comminiques that need to be documented) and for the note that shows up in Evernote to have the "to" "from" "sent" (time & date) info attached to that note. Without that, you effectively have to send two different emails. The first to the intended recipient, then the next one a forward of that sent email to Evernote.

This is more about documentation for me.

• Like 5

I have this same frustration. I'd like to be able to bcc to my Evernote (for example contracts, key comminiques that need to be documented) and for the note that shows up in Evernote to have the "to" "from" "sent" (time & date) info attached to that note. Without that, you effectively have to send two different emails. The first to the intended recipient, then the next one a forward of that sent email to Evernote.

This is more about documentation for me.

We would definetly like to have this as an option.  Would be very very helpful to us.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that I did something like this using the Zapier service, a couple of years ago. The trigger was an incoming email to my GMail account from a certain company (you could use any search filter, I believe), and the action was to create a new note in Evernote.. I was able to add header information by specifying GMail fields in the Content area

I'm pretty sure that I did something like this using the Zapier service, a couple of years ago. The trigger was an incoming email to my GMail account from a certain company (you could use any search filter, I believe), and the action was to create a new note in Evernote.. I was able to add header information by specifying GMail fields in the Content area

I just figured a complex work around.

By testing for my notebook @Tidd Orders - in outllook, I then forwarded it to my evernote email address.  By using the forward it put in the headers.  Not as nice as doing it directly but it does work.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

• Like 1

By testing for my notebook @Tidd Orders - in outllook, I then forwarded it to my evernote email address.  By using the forward it put in the headers.  Not as nice as doing it directly but it does work.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

That works great for INBOUND email, but not for outbound email where you BCC your Evernote account.

As the OP requested, we need an option for Evernote to put the email header info (To, From, cc, bcc, date sent) in the body of the Evernote Note.

If have tried many other solutions, including IFTTT, Outlook rules, Outlook macros, and none worked.  I'm referring to Outlook 2011 Mac.  Outlook Win might work differently.

• Like 1

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

That works great for INBOUND email, but not for outbound email where you BCC your Evernote account.

As the OP requested, we need an option for Evernote to put the email header info (To, From, cc, bcc, date sent) in the body of the Evernote Note.

If have tried many other solutions, including IFTTT, Outlook rules, Outlook macros, and none worked.  I'm referring to Outlook 2011 Mac.  Outlook Win might work differently.

When I send an email out, I send a copy to another email address I have, and we then forward that one to evernote, and it works fine.  I already had the other email going out, so it was just a matter of forwarding the email upon receipt.

When I send an email out, I send a copy to another email address I have, and we then forward that one to evernote, and it works fine.  I already had the other email going out, so it was just a matter of forwarding the email upon receipt.

I think that is a good workaround for outbound mail, but I have been unable to get either GMail or YahooMail to auto-forward and include the normal headers that are included with a manual forward.  Both of these providers seem to "redirect" rather than auto-foward.  

Maybe I'm missing something, some setup in those email providers.  Any suggestions?  Or do you use another email provider?

I think that is a good workaround for outbound mail, but I have been unable to get either GMail or YahooMail to auto-forward and include the normal headers that are included with a manual forward.  Both of these providers seem to "redirect" rather than auto-foward.  

Maybe I'm missing something, some setup in those email providers.  Any suggestions?  Or do you use another email provider?

Sorry, I use Outlook for ours.  I did find this for forwarding gmail though.

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How-To-Forward-Gmail-Email-Using-Filters.htm

Good luck!

I had the same problem.  I was even getting a confirmation note in my default notebook but no copy of my email.  I went out to the web version and looked up my address.  It was not the same as the address they sent me in the note about how to send emails.  When I used the address I got from the web version it worked.

Sorry, I use Outlook for ours.  I did find this for forwarding gmail though.

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/How-To-Forward-Gmail-Email-Using-Filters.htm

Good luck!

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't seem to make this work.

I setup a new account at Outlook.com, and created a Rule to forward mail from my normal email address to my Evernote account address.  When I send an email with the Outlook.com address in the BCC, it does foward to my Evernote account, but it does NOT include the email header info you get when you do a manual forward.

Outlook.com, like all the other email providers I have tried. are redirecting the email rather than actually forwarding it.

What am I missing?

• Like 1

We have had a lot of great discussion, and a few workarounds that work for some, in this thread.

But the main issue as posted by the Original Poster (OP) remains an issue for many of us.

Evernote, please put this request on your to do list.  It would really be a big help  to many of us.

Thanks.

From OP:

I sometimes forward an email to my evernote account to create a Note but I also sometimes find it more efficient to bcc an email to my evernote.

However, if I bcc I end up having an email created Note in Evernote that does not have any headers and really on a glance does not even look like an email.

Is there a simple way to make a bcc email created Note look like a forwarded email with headers?

Thank you for any tips.

• Like 3

Was a solution ever found? I have always had the same issue too and the BCC to a different email account which then forwards to evernote does not work

4 hours ago, Alessandra said:

Was a solution ever found? I have always had the same issue too and the BCC to a different email account which then forwards to evernote does not work

Personally, I don't use the email feature to create notes in EN

I have this function scripted on my Mac to create a note exactly as I want it (documented Here)

My requirements include

1. title formatted
  2. tags
  3. pdf attachment
  4. eml attachment
  5. link to  original note

Thank you for your response but unfortunately it does not help me. I like to BCC my evernote account when I write emails to third parties. Simply forwarding the sent email after it appears in the sent folder does the trick but it involves an extra step which I wanted to avoid.

Hence, please, does any one have an answer to my question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alessandra said:

Thank you for your response but unfortunately it does not help me. I like to BCC my evernote account when I write emails to third parties. Simply forwarding the sent email after it appears in the sent folder does the trick but it involves an extra step which I wanted to avoid.

Hence, please, does any one have an answer to my question.

Hi.  What email system are you using?  Can you set up a 'rule' in your own mailbox that any emails BCC'd to you are then forwarded to Evernote?

Unless I am very much mistaken BCC settings are addressed in the own mail client (possibly restricted by provider). 

4 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  What email system are you using?  Can you set up a 'rule' in your own mailbox that any emails BCC'd to you are then forwarded to Evernote?

Yes I have set up a forwarding rule. The problem is that the forwarded email becomes a note with the email subject line as its title. Howeve I lose the email headers (the date and time of the mail, who sent it and to whom). It is these headers I am interested in I already have the rule set up for the autoforwarding

Hmmn.  Don't know whether the effort is worthwhile,  but it's pretty easy to get a Gmail address,  and IFTTT will snatch incoming Gmails from specific addresses (like your main address) and create a new note from the content - I use that for receipts from some online purchases,  but if you routinely BCC'd to a Gmail address?

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Don't know whether the effort is worthwhile,  but it's pretty easy to get a Gmail address,  and IFTTT will snatch incoming Gmails from specific addresses (like your main address) and create a new note from the content - I use that for receipts from some online purchases,  but if you routinely BCC'd to a Gmail address?

I went down that path a couple of years back and in the end a bcc does not include the email header info, whereas a forward does.  A bcc to another account and then a rule to forward to EN still loses the original header info.  If memory is accurate, I think that's what happened and I gave up and went back to just having the second step of forwarding vs a bcc.  Now if there's a way to do this and I missed it, I would like to know.  

6 hours ago, csihilling said:

I went down that path a couple of years back and in the end a bcc does not include the email header info, whereas a forward does.  A bcc to another account and then a rule to forward to EN still loses the original header info.  If memory is accurate, I think that's what happened and I gave up and went back to just having the second step of forwarding vs a bcc.  Now if there's a way to do this and I missed it, I would like to know.  

I can confirm that that still does not work. There are several of us who would like this function. Any way we can petition for its implementation? I pay good money every year for evernote.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alessandra said:

I pay good money every year for evernote.

It's a valid point,  but you pay for the existing service that Evernote provides - bugs, 'features' and all:  you didn't sign up on the understanding they'd implement your every suggestion ahead of the 1,000's of others out there.

When you say 'headers',  I assume you're meaning the From: and To: portion of the email that we all see,  not the technical routing information that's also referred to as a header...  (from http://whatismyipaddress.com/email-header)

To really understand what an email header is, you must see one. Here is an example of a full email header*:

Return-Path: <example_from@dc.edu>
X-SpamCatcher-Score: 1 [X]
Received: from [136.167.40.119] (HELO dc.edu)
    by fe3.dc.edu (CommuniGate Pro SMTP 4.1.8)
    with ESMTP-TLS id 61258719 for example_to@mail.dc.edu; Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:40:10 -0400
Message-ID: <4129F3CA.2020509@dc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2005 11:40:36 -0400
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.1) Gecko/20020823 Netscape/7.0
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Jon Smith <example_to@mail.dc.edu>
Subject: Business Development Meeting
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

* email headers should always be read from bottom to top.

Fortunately, most of this information is hidden inside the email with only the most relevant or mandatory headers appearing to the user. Those headers that we most often see and recognize are bolded in the above example

I'd say the 'from/ to' formatting is an essential part of the email - hopefully Evernote will get around to improving email clipping with that in mind soon...

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's a valid point,  but you pay for the existing service that Evernote provides - bugs, 'features' and all:  you didn't sign up on the understanding they'd implement your every suggestion ahead of the 1,000's of others out there.

When you say 'headers',  I assume you're meaning the From: and To: portion of the email that we all see,  not the technical routing information that's also referred to as a header...  (from http://whatismyipaddress.com/email-header)

I'd say the 'from/ to' formatting is an essential part of the email - hopefully Evernote will get around to improving email clipping with that in mind soon...

Thank you. I do not for a moment suggest they should prioritise my needs over those of others. But this thread was started in 2014 by someone else asking for the same thing, it includes further contributions by other users also asking for the same thing. So clearly I am not alone.

Yes by headers I mean

To

CC

From

Date

• Like 4

Just thought I might add to my much earlier response.

We put into the subject line @orders email which is one of my notebooks

Then we use a rule in outlook, that automatically forwards any email sent with this in the subject line.

We then get all the information from the email into the note.  We then, copy or merge or move the note where it needs to be.

You could do this with any notebook in your account and set separate rules for different notebooks if necessary.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TIddly27 said:

Yes,  that sounds like the system I was using...  as far as I recall,  it copied all the standard header stuff.

1 hour ago, TIddly27 said:

Just thought I might add to my much earlier response.

Then we use a rule in outlook, that automatically forwards any email sent with this in the subject line.

We then get all the information from the email into the note.  We then, copy or merge or move the note where it needs to be.

You could do this with any notebook in your account and set separate rules for different notebooks if necessary.

Hope this helps someone.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

Thank you so much but unfortunately it won't help me. I cannot put extraneous stuff like that in the subject line when I email third parties. I have no problem emailing my mail to evernote, the problem only occurs when I try to bcc my evernote account and no amount of setting rules seems to work if I am to preserve the following info

TO

CC

FROM

DATE

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Alessandra said:

Thank you so much but unfortunately it won't help me. I cannot put extraneous stuff like that in the subject line when I email third parties. I have no problem emailing my mail to evernote, the problem only occurs when I try to bcc my evernote account and no amount of setting rules seems to work if I am to preserve the following info

TO

CC

FROM

DATE

You could also put the @notebook name in your signature, and use that signature when you want to send email to evernote.  Create rule that looks for this in the body.

Hope this helps.l

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

7 minutes ago, TIddly27 said:

You could also put the @notebook name in your signature

I was wondering how to automate the @notebook/#tag feature, but AFAIK having these values in the signature has no effect

35 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I was wondering how to automate the @notebook/#tag feature, but AFAIK having these values in the signature has no effect

I believe that is correct.  It will place it in the default notebook and you will have to move it, but it would contain the things you need.

Rick

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I've tried both BCC and FW, and often get only the body and not the TO, DATE, and so on.

It's important for some of these that I be able to say "I emailed you on {date} at {time} and did not get a response." Not having the date and all the TOs makes the "email into Evernote" useless for this sort of verification work.

I will look at setting up yet another email address, and auto-forwarding that into Evernote -- but this certainly seems like a basic feature that should be included in the email-in capability.

• Like 2

I can't believe this is still a problem FOUR years later. Evernote is supposed to be our filing cabinet where we can store all critical information to have available at our fingertips. Can we at least find out why it is a problem and why it can't be implemented? 

• Like 3

Make that 5 years later. Sigh ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGooch said:

Make that 5 years later. Sigh ...

It's probably on a list somewhere.  If only there were a votable feature request so we could gauge how much support there was for this tweak. 

Meantime to make an email look like a forwarded email with full headers,  BCC it to your own (or a secondary) email address and set up a rule that emails received 'from' your main email address are auto-forwarded in their turn to Evernote.

There's also the new Gmail add-in which I haven't really had the chance to look into yet...

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's probably on a list somewhere.  If only there were a votable feature request so we could gauge how much support there was for this tweak. 

Meantime to make an email look like a forwarded email with full headers,  BCC it to your own (or a secondary) email address and set up a rule that emails received 'from' your main email address are auto-forwarded in their turn to Evernote.

There's also the new Gmail add-in which I haven't really had the chance to look into yet...

Don't know email clients well enough, doesn't stop me from wondering if the email client "flushes" the header data when sending to the cc or bcc address.  That, and anytime I have tried to forward via another account to EN it doesn't help.  I don't get the header info.  Could be just me.  Anyhoo, I'm used to forwarding the occasional email from the sent folder to EN.

The first idea  I thought of was trying  out the  Evernote mail clipper within Microsoft Outlook 

(I am sure it was still there recently but now it's gone. Maybe not yet compatible with Office 2019)

Anybody still with Office 2016 or before could try clipping the original mail message. It might just be the answer for some. 

FWIW -- I found a setting in my email app (Airmail) to "include headers" whenever forwarding. So, I send the email, then for the ones I care about, I forward them from my SENT folder. It's an extra step, but it's very complete. The forwarded email has all the info I need.