How can I change the font size in the evernote client for iOS?

No, unfortunately, you cannot.  I truly wish I could advise you otherwise!

The only thing you can do in regards to Fonts on the iPad, is the option to "Simplify Formatting".  But that is not really editing a Font, in the terms we are accustom to in other text editors.

• 11 months later...

I have a free account for Evernote. For some years now. That's right, I haven't paid for a subscription yet. There's a reason for that. Now, I pretty much only use EN to clip webpages using my PC and MacBook. I have tried using EN for note taking when I'm out and about, but, using my iPad makes this all but impossible as the only font available is just too small for more than a few minutes at a time. Looking at the forums here for the first time tonight shows me that I'm not alone, nor have I been for some years now.

Seems that EN is not a writer's tool if they like the mobility of the iPad. Pity. It has so many good things going for it. OneNote for iPad is making rapid strides lately... They only have to improve their web clipper, and enable resizing of text boxes, and I'm ready to adopt it.

I'll pile on here.. not being able to adjust the font size is what has kept me from becoming a premium user. Much of Evernote is great - like web clipping. But note taking just doesn't work for me on IOS because of the small font. Evernote doesn't even support Dynamic Type - it ignores the IOS settings for font size. And as has been pointed out, it has been this way for years, so it apparently  this isn't seen as an issue.

In contrast, there are any number of really good note taking apps on IOS. Check out Letterspace or UpWord, for instance. Either of these free apps is way better for taking notes than Evernote.

I was trying to figure out how to increase the font size and didn't see any option. What was interesting is that when I did a cut/paste the size of the font, when pasted, is smaller.

Someone said why is this a big deal? I wouldn't say it s a big deal, but as a user when I transfer the information it would be nice to keep the same formatting. I'm just going to suggest that maybe my needs are different from yours. From everything I have read Evernote is the most popular note taking app. And to go premium w/a monthly fee I need it to meet certain expectations.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I believe that the inability to change (increase) text size in the iOS application discriminates against those users (like myself) with poor eyesight.

It also make it much less useful as a mobile application.

• 1 month later...

Is it still true you can't change font size with the Evernote client for iPad?

I was trying to see how productive I could be on my iPad and immediately ran into this problem (I'm a premium user). I was editing a note with some large font sizes, originally created on my Mac.

But the new lines were getting added in a smaller font!

I was going to use this note for presentation, so the text needs to be large. But I could not find any way of doing that. Is that really true?!

Thanks,

doug

On 28 December 2015 at 0:26 PM, douglerner said:

Is it still true you can't change font size with the Evernote client for iPad?

I was trying to see how productive I could be on my iPad and immediately ran into this problem (I'm a premium user). I was editing a note with some large font sizes, originally created on my Mac.

But the new lines were getting added in a smaller font!

I was going to use this note for presentation, so the text needs to be large. But I could not find any way of doing that. Is that really true?!

Thanks,

doug

Correct, it is still not possible to change font sizes on Evernote iOS (regardless of whether you are a Free/Premium user).

• 1 month later...

It does seem like a strange thing not to implement. I will continue to use Evernote for "all my scraps of miscellaneous data" because it syncs between devices. But I notice even search doesn't always work well.

The presentation mode in Evernote premium isn't worth it because when you are in presentation mode you also lose the font sizes!!! I couldn't believe it!

So for presentations and note taking, something else is needed I think.

doug

I'll add my request to this thread. I've only been using this app for 3 days and the inability to bump up default font (or increase it via a keyboard shortcut) is almost a reason to stop using it. When I'm in a meeting taking notes, the last time I want to work at is reading what I'm writing because the text is so small. (I'm on an iPad pro with high resolution).

Not having a standard feature is a silly reason to discourage new users from keeping this tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Adding my voice to the list of concerned users. I just became a premium user, but I would have held off of purchasing a years' worth of Pro if I had known that something as simple as changing font size through the app was impossible. What a dealbreaker! Between that and the limited options for printing notes, I'm unsure how useful Evernote will be to me. I wanted to be able to print addresses for online sales, which requires the simplest of formatting options. Please add this seemingly obvious feature!

I'd like to add a me too to this, but also the possibility to change font too. There are times I want to differentiate different people's views or comments in a block of text, and the most obvious visually is to change the font for each writer. Certainly size change has to be a must soon, doesn't it? I've been a premium user for years and would like to see a bit more development now. There was a good spate of it a while back, but it seems to have gone a bit cold on the big features. 

• 2 weeks later...

Come on Evernote this is crazy!

it reduces the functionality of the App by 80%

i am a huge fan - an Evernote evangelist even and a Premium User of course but this leaves me seriously inconvenienced and embarrassed that my colleagues just laugh at the crappy UX!

typing this on my iPhone 6 Plus it's just not convenient for note taking and calling up agendas in meetings etc

suprisex not to see a response from Evernote on here? Isn't that a little rude?

This is such a simple and fundamental feature that many users cannot live without, and it's a no-brainer to add it there into any text editor application. Come on Evernote. You know that this is easily done and you know many people want it. What are you waiting for?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Evernote: Do you read these threads? I was going to start using your product again but there is almost no control over font sizes, for example I can't change the headline or title of a note to be a unique font or larger or bolder. And the menus and list views are TINY on a retina screen and legible to my 40+ year old eyes. Let me know when you add some basic font sizing features, and for now I will stick with your competitor's apps.

• 1 month later...

This is truly bizarre and a potential deal breaker for me. It doesn't even look like the paid options do it. There is no way I will upgrade to premium if such a basic feature as being able to edit the font is missing, and I think I might start looking around at other options.

Not only are my eyes a little weak, my fingers are a little fat.  I do a lot of editing and need to be able to move the cursor quickly, and I find myself struggling quite a bit more with the tiny text size.  I love all the other features, it seemed a no brainer when I test drove it on my PC, but when I found you can't even get a small/large text size default or anything at all on mobile. I hate to throw more time at reviewing other apps, because I doubt they can match everything EN does, but I guess I'll have to.

On 5/10/2016 at 10:04 AM, Getafix said:

This is truly bizarre and a potential deal breaker for me. It doesn't even look like the paid options do it. There is no way I will upgrade to premium if such a basic feature as being able to edit the font is missing, and I think I might start looking around at other options.

Agreed.  

I would echo Charles request:

On 5/30/2014 at 11:19 PM, Charles Henderson said:

I use Evernote on my I Pad but I installed an upgrade and can't change the font any more, and I need to change the font from to time. Can that be done?

On my iPhone I have two problems -- the size of the text and the light green color which I sometimes find nearly illegible, If the light green was in bold it would be much easier to read.  Being able to enlarge the point size would be even better. Otherwise, I am very pleased with EN so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Still no response from Evernote. I am a Premium user and have used Evernote for years. Have tweeted them to no avail. Absolute blind indifference to customers 

that is a dangerous place to be for any business 

'But I guess you only have to look at the business to see how they are falling behind. No one could accuse them of being close to their customers. Just scroll up!

Being use it from free to premium subscription user right now.

The simple question to change font in iOS, answer is no.

After a while get use to it, Evenote have lot of feature make you no need to think, like font, just use it. I think for most of long time user is used to it, and over time, it is actually more productive.

Offcourse if compare with some other app who are listen to user, they will make it possible as per user requirement, maybe Evenote have now no brother for that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The work-around for this - until they create a perma-fix - is to create a 'note' template in your MacBook Evernote - or Evernote Online - and create sample sentences, each with varying font sizes.  When you go to make a note in IOS version, simply copy a word from a sentence in the Font Size Template with the preferred font size - and paste it into a new note.  Then, highlight that new word and begin typing.  Your whole note should take on the size/ format of the font in the word you copied over from your template.

Text 72
Text 64
Text 48
Text 36
Text 24
Text 18
Text 14
Text 12
Text 10
Text8
  • 4 weeks later...

After several years, is nobody from Evernote going to address this, at least in this forum?

That is a good workaround, @EverTed. It's a shame that we have to do this tough. I looked up this forum topic because I'm listening to a podcast for work, and taking important notes in Evernote on my iphone. 

Having to look up this feature, then to find that it doesn't exist, is a waste of all of our time. And as many other users have suggested, this seems like a basic feature that has been requested for YEARS. 

So instead, my note now has a bullet item that is 4 or 5 times the size of every other one, just because I copied and pasted a long line of text from a website. Now I have to remember, when I'm back at my office, to open up Evernote, remember to find this note that needs fixing, and scroll down 20 or 30 lines to find what needs fixing. In an otherwise busy work day, I dont always remember to fix such things  

I suppose another workaround would be to open my iPhone's Mail app, paste the offending text into it, do the formatting there, then copy and paste it back into Evernote. So problem "solved"! Just need an Apple product to fix an Evernote product. [Don't worry, I'm not an Apple apologist]

I've used Evernote Premium for several years now, and have generally been happy with things, FYI. My only other gripe is how poorly the shared notes have synced - in the few instances that I tried to collaborate with a colleague on the same note. 

I found another feature that can help : you can use your fingers to zoom in your note. Apparently, there are 2 zoom levels.

This can help those who are uncomfortable with the small default font.

However, this isn't enough, because it's not helping the formatting of your notes. As I said, it's just a zoom.

• 2 weeks later...

@EverTed Thanks for the tip.

I stopped using Evernote for a while because of the font size problem, but I found I needed the syncing features and returned. I'm a premium user now and I had hoped this problem had been resolved. Unfortunately no such luck.

Please Evernote, do something for us who already PAID for a good note taking app. I have no real problem with Evernote on my Android phone or my Mac, but the iPad is... A nightmare. I can't see.

@FX Cormontagne The zoom is a possibility, but you have to have the iPad accesibility On. Hopefully it solves the problem for old notes. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a Plus user. My eyes are 46 years old. The inability to increase the font size makes studying notes on my mobile devices literally impossible. This is the main reason why I would abandon Evernote. I like to study when I'm out and about, waiting for a train, in a café/bar, etc. I can't with Evernote.

Does no one at Evernote have anything other than 20/20 vision ;-) ?

On the same note, kudos to the Evernote dev team for finally adding really good text zoom to Evernote for Mac. It makes it a lot easier to work in now.

Can't the dev team port the zoom from the Desktop version to the iOS version?

Thanks, Pat

Hey @Bamby - they are still making lots of updates. For example: https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2016/09/12/evernote-7-17-whats-new-ios-10/

The issue is, the app lacks really more obvious core features like the ability to increase font size (you can pinch zoom but this is useless for reading articles) and Find & Replace (you can only find in text - Desktop versions too).

I think there is possibly a focus on "Wow" features at the expense of more essential features. Hopefully the Evernote team is listening and will respond eventually.

• Level 5*
59 minutes ago, Patrick Gilmour said:

The inability to increase the font size makes studying notes on my mobile devices literally impossible

I encourage you to use the feedback forum for feature requests

You might want to go to the post below and up-vote (voting buttons are in the upper left corner)

Evernote don't listen - if they bother to read this or look at Twitter then they are plain rude. Honestly this is such a basic oversight  

Come on Evernote at least have the good grace to tell us you are technically not able or something?

or just say "whilst you mugs keep paying we will ignore you"

is it really that hard to speak to your customers?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, namshur said:

Evernote don't listen 

My impression is that Evernote does listen
and decided      Not At This Time; there are higher priority items to be worked on

I still use Evernote for holding scraps of miscellaneous data that I need to be able to sync and  find -  though search has its own quirks.

But I've stopped using Evernote for things that require formatting, such as class lectures. Instead I have been using OneNote lately, which is better for that. 

I also don't use Evernote anymore to create notes on my iPhone as the font is too small to be useful. 

Dropbox has some new features that make note taking good. 

Google docs is also a solution. 

Evernote is great for clipping stuff and great for photos of notes but ironically rubbish for taking notes on the phone!

8 hours ago, DTLow said:

My impression is that Evernote does listen

And they said.    Not At This Time; there are higher priority items to be worked on

When and where was this? Some point in the last 5 years or so? I have even tried tweeting them and no response. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, namshur said:

When and where was this? Some point in the last 5 years or so? I have even tried tweeting them and no response. 

The message below from Evernote is specific to a platform wide feedback forum.  Specific platform feedback forums have been in existence for a while.  I feel Evernote is listening to our suggestions, even though they don't respond to every port or twitter

I found a way to use the Web version of Evernote on an iPad:

- install Mozilla FireFox from the AppStore

- connect to your evernote account

- open the option pane of the browser, and choose 'Show Desktop Version'

Not only you can zoom in your notes like on any web page, but teh rich-text editor lets you change the font size.

I only miss one thing: encrypting text in my notes....

2 hours ago, FX Cormontagne said:

I found a way to use the Web version of Evernote on an iPad:

- install Mozilla FireFox from the AppStore

- connect to your evernote account

- open the option pane of the browser, and choose 'Show Desktop Version'

Not only you can zoom in your notes like on any web page, but teh rich-text editor lets you change the font size.

I only miss one thing: encrypting text in my notes....

Good idea. Is it clunky to use though?

• 1 month later...

I am a long-time Evernote user and a subscribe at the Plus level. I would definitely upgrade to a Premium subscription, but the lack of response on this simple, incredibly important feature prevents me from doing so. I hate to abandon Evernote for its organizing, tagging and web-clipping capabilities make it an awesome tool for me. Sadly, I've reached the point where MSFT's Note is worthy of consideration.

Please, Evernote, reclaim your leadership position (and your customer's attachment to your product) by supporting text resizing and font choice on iOS. Frankly, I'd be worried about Apple producing a solution just to prevent ceding this space to MSFT. That would squash Evernote....irreparabley, I fear.

I second Tom Hammer.

I seriously can't use my iPad or iPhone for reading my own notes in Evernote – the fonts are just too small for my eyesight.

As I mentioned before, the ability to zoom font sizes on the Mac (PC too, I assume) version is great. Seems like a small thing but it is such an improvement.

Evernote will lose their lead - it's a shame. Such a good App and have got many people in my companies using it. the reality is the UI is dated and the the UX still 'OK' but not blistering. When they stop listening like this for such a simple thing then they are losing it.

The UI design needs a refresh and the green colour an update but really really have they not worked out we have all gone to mobile and this tiny tiny text in the old fashioned Font ant size 494 or whatever it is  . . .

Come on Evernote get Real stop trying to sell us bags and tee shirts and drag your core business into this century

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, namshur said:

Evernote will lose their lead - it's a shame. Such a good App and have got many people in my companies using it. the reality is the UI is dated and the the UX still 'OK' but not blistering. When they stop listening like this for such a simple thing then they are losing it...

This is actually the help forum.  If you want to give some constructive feedback, you should add your vote to requests like the one below.  We need the votes to reflect our priority for this request

>>Come on Evernote get Real stop trying to sell us bags and tee shirts and drag your core business into this century

I wasn't aware Evernote was selling bags and tee shirts.  There was a Market project a while back, but that's long gone

• 2 weeks later...

I will also lend my support to changing font size in iOS as a feature request. It's so surprising that this has not been implemented already since OneNote, Apple Notes, and many other apps support this on iOS.

Clearly the Evernote iOS client has no trouble "displaying" different font sizes. Any size adjustments made in either the Evernote desktop client or the web client show up just fine when viewed in iOS. 

It seems like poor prioritization when developers continue to work on adding more and more new features, but overlook a such core function like font display - which should be a keystone element for any good notes application.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, algomusic said:

Please EN add the ability to change font sizes in notes and to set the default font size.

You're posting in the help forum.
You request would have more value in the feedback forum.
Either create a new topic, or add your vote to an existing request.  Voting buttons are in the upper left corner of the discussion.

A request for fonts in IOS was posted at

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, namshur said:

It won't matter where you post it Evernote aren't listening or don't care 

Don't let the facts get in the way of your ranting

Evernote has provided this site for discussion and has provided a forums for feedback complete with a voting mechanism for users to indicate support for feature requests

Do you work for Evernote?

i don't see any comments explanations or interventions here from Evernote. Just a paying customer wanting functionality that matters with little time to find obscure methods of interacting with Evernote  tweets get attention  

Ranting? Really? Requesting improvements Ranting?

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, namshur said:

Do you work for Evernote?

No, just a user like yourself
Evernote employees are clearly indicated in the left column under their username

>>i don't see any comments explanations or interventions here from Evernote.
 These are user discussion forums
Evernote employess do pop in occasionally.

>>Requesting improvements Ranting?
This is a "help" forum.  As I pointed out, there are forums to post improvement requests and provide feedback

Regardless, you did not post an improvement request; your post said " It won't matter where you post it Evernote aren't listening or don't care "

9 hours ago, BrianSt said:

I will also lend my support to changing font size in iOS as a feature request. It's so surprising that this has not been implemented already since OneNote, Apple Notes, and many other apps support this on iOS.

I agree that EN should support font size changes on iOS. 

Apple notes however does not support font size changes.  They do offer some basic paragraph formatting options (headers and billeted lists) but you cannot change font size.  I am doubtful whether "many other" note taking apps support font size changes.  For example, Drafts doesn't, and the much lauded newcomer Bear doesn't. I know Noteability does and it's likely that OneNote does but haven't used recently. 

If someone wanted a larger font size purely for better legibility (understandable) why not create a template note on the Windows/Mac version with some placeholder text at the desired font size.  Add that note as a Shortcut.  Then whenever you are creating a new note on iOS just duplicate that template and write over the placeholder text which should have the desired font size. 

It's not a full solution but it alleviates one problem that users are facing. Here is a link to such a note which includes two different font size options: Template

• 3 months later...

I've been requesting font increase capability for at least 4 years to no avail.  I send help request tickets but they just say they'll refer the issue to their IT folks.  I'm going on their twitter help feed now and I'm going to start asking daily.  If everyone else does too maybe they will finally address it. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mynon said:

I'm going on their twitter help feed now and I'm going to start asking daily.

There is a difference between submitting a feature request and being a pest

There are many factors for Evernote to prioritize requests, and they are under no obligation to implement specific features

I urge users to indicate their support for this request by going to the discussion below and using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

2 hours ago, mynon said:

I've been requesting font increase capability for at least 4 years to no avail.  I send help request tickets but they just say they'll refer the issue to their IT folks.  I'm going on their twitter help feed now and I'm going to start asking daily.  If everyone else does too maybe they will finally address it. 

Are the options for small / medium / large sized text in app version 8 of no use?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dan Wilson said:

Are the options for small / medium / large sized text in app version 8 of no use?

Of no use.  They just changes the size of the image should one exist in the note.  Text is the same size no matter what.

29 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Of no use.  They just changes the size of the image should one exist in the note.  Text is the same size no matter what.

I think that the control I mentioned and the one that you have tried are different things.  I just made a screencast of how to use the one I am talking about.  When I use that the text size changes on all my devices (iOS and macOS) and on the web app. 

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Dan Wilson said:

I think that the control I mentioned and the one that you have tried are different things.  I just made a screencast of how to use the one I am talking about.  When I use that the text size changes on all my devices (iOS and macOS) and on the web app. 

Correct, two different items.  What you have highlighted in the video is on a note by note basis, I think.  Not sure if the OP was seeking a default text size that would be adjustable.  Something slightly different as well.

Also, very nice video.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, webdes_Julian said:

Am I going mad, or did you used to be able to change font size? I can't do it any more. I'm sure I used to. If it is true that it is something that has deliberately been disabled then Evernote can wave goodbye to my subscription.

The latest release v8 added a small/medium/large font size selectorIMG_1537.thumb.PNG.7f1b8cb3113b793b24063aa123ec5da7.PNG.7d499cee3f583beebd222d260a49bac9.PNG

6 hours ago, webdes_Julian said:

Am I going mad, or did you used to be able to change font size? I can't do it any more. I'm sure I used to. If it is true that it is something that has deliberately been disabled then Evernote can wave goodbye to my subscription.

You might be going mad ;)

Ou used to be able to choose from some pre-defined paragraph(?) styles: Title, Paragraph, Blockquote and maybe one other. That was a long time ago though. Before v.7.0. Since then there were no font size options.  iOS apps would show and copy paste different font sizes correctly from desktop apps, but you couldn't introduce them into a note natively from iOS.  

As @DTLow pointed out font size options have been added in the latest App Store version. 

Archived