Recover missing log data from archived .exb files?

I am trying to recover a few months of missing log data from last year. Our Evernote data is archived everyday to a server. The archives seem to consist of .exb files, one of which is over 250MB in size. I can't seem to open the .exb files with Evernote. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

I am trying to recover a few months of missing log data from last year. Our Evernote data is archived everyday to a server. The archives seem to consist of .exb files, one of which is over 250MB in size. I can't seem to open the .exb files with Evernote. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

When you say "log data", are you talking about notes in Evernote or Evernote log files?  If you're talking about notes in a different exb file, you would:

1. Fully exit EN, making sure there are no elephants in the task bar.
  2. Temporarily rename the live exb file. 
  3. Disconnect from the internet
  4. Copy (not paste/move) the desired exb file to the same location as the live file & make sure it's named your-login-name.exb
  5. Invoke Evernote.  This will have you using the old exb file.  Since you disconnected from the internet, it will not sync any changes down.  IE, if it contains notes that were subsequently deleted or modified, if you are connected to the internet, those changes would be sync'd & you'd end up where you were before starting this.
  6. Select the notes you want to move to the live database & export them to enex file.  (Please search the board on the tips for doing this so you are able to retain tag & notebook info.)
  7. Fully exit Evernote again.
  8. Delete the exb file you created in step 4 above. 
  9. Copy (don't paste/move) the file created in step 2 above to your-login-name.exb
  10. Invoke Evernote & import the enex file(s) created in step 6 above.
  11. If everything looks good, connect to the internet.

I say to copy files, rather than paste/move b/c if something gets muffed up along the way, you still have your original live file and your original archived file.

EDIT:  When I say paste, I mean don't CUT/paste.  You would COPY/paste rather than CUT/paste in order to retain the original file.  So you do still have to paste.  Sorry for any confusion... ;)

• 3 years later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, MaltaKano said:

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping to revive in order to ask: does recovery of an EXB file also allow you to recover any local notes and notebooks? 

Yes for recovery; the .exb file contains local notebook/note data.  It will also trigger sync activity to bring the sync'd data up-to-date with the servers

You can also use a .enex file export/import to recover local notebooks, but it creates new notes instead of restoring the old notes.  Also, the notebook information is dropped

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MaltaKano said:

Hi everyone

I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping to revive in order to ask: does recovery of an EXB file also allow you to recover any local notes and notebooks? 

Thank you

Alexia

It does, but you want to be sure to back up your existing .EXB and disconnect from the internet so as not to have a sync.  Then you can load the .EXB and export whatever notes you want.  Then restore your current EXB and import the notes.

Archived