Introducing 'Templates' for Evernote Read more... ×
Notebook Limit Increase Read more... ×
jbignert

firefox Web Clipper 6 for Firefox - beta

Idea

Hi all,

We have a release candidate version for the new Firefox Web Clipper that we'd like to invite a few select people to start testing.

It is a complete re-write and doesn't share any code with the previous version so we expect some turbulence in the beginning. 

When you report issues please post your OS, Firefox versions, URL where an issue can be observed and as much details as necessary for us to reproduce the problem. 

Not expected to work in this version:

- Sharing 

Get the latest build here: 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

And feel free to post both design & performance feedback as well as straight up bugs. 

• Like 1

Installed successfully and seems to be very similar to the Safari plugin which I was hoping to get for Firefox.  The old Firefox plugin would occasionally close down when adding multiple tags.  This beta is much more user friendly.

I initally installed the beta 6.0 for Firefox. Couldn't clip a page or screen shot

Re-installed and the web clipper appears to be fully functional.

Inital impression is this is much better than the old version.  The clip quality is superior.

Thx folks,

We looked into the irrational behavior just after installation and have fixed a couple of bugs so thanks for your support. We'll push out new version about once a week and I'll post updates on this thread. Appreciate your feedback.

thx mcluff - we're all about nitpicking, appreciate the report and will see to a fix for it. 

• Like 1

Couldn't get a screen shot of it but when signing in with 2-factor authentication the message alerting me that the 6 digit code had been sent to my phone didn't display the phone number. It showed:

"... message sent to $phone$..."

Thanks Tote,

Yeah we have that as a bug and will certainly fix it. Appreciate your report.

I like the look and feel of the clipper a lot!!  I have run into two problems so far.

1.  When I first tried to log in on the clipper I got a "No Internet Connection" message which was not correct. I did a second restart of Firefox and had no problem. This is just regular login with Username and Password.

2.  This clip has some issues. Note link: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/38b8ca3d-913e-4098-a975-23189fccffaa/9736291a16a7eba350d8423d0a6c6d86.

Steps were:

1. Website: http://rootsnursery.com/wp-content/uploads/starting-seeds-indoors.jpg
  2. Opened Clipper. It showed that it was clipping the whole page.
  3. Used Minus Sign at top of clipper. It showed that it was clipping the white area.
  4. Added a note to test the note function.
  5. You can see the odd result.

Also checked to see if I could right click on the image to save the image to Evernote but it looks like there is no right functionality yet with this clipper installed.

Wish List for the new clipper (which of course I have no idea if either of these are feasible!)

On the Clip list I wish it also had these two options:

1. Image
  2. PDF

PDFs often seem hard to clip. I frequently have to use the print dialog to save the pdf to Evernote.

Don't mean to be spamming the list but here are two more failed clips.

Steps:

1. Searched for a pdf: http://wasatchgardens.org/files/resource/attachment/Beginning%20Organic%20Gardening%20Resources_1.pdf
  2. Opened clipper. Clipper frame shows that it has just the pdf selected. Article is selected in the sidebar.
  3. Note clipped: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/620a9062-5e72-4e7e-9896-294e6ee3a760/2245944685329c74e8ee9d05695257f3
  4. Second try with full page selected: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/25bfb2b8-42ed-4d11-97ae-96b7ec16b675/af0ad6e9779933c32512cfc6f55dd261

Now I am going to go plant my garden!!

HTH,

Viv Ilo

for me it feels a bit weird to be on the editing area choosing a tag for example and the arrow keys being assigned to control the clipping area. not sure if this is under study, but wanted to bring the feedback.
Nice work, seems solid

@Igoose

Yeah this is not done yet but will be. Arrow keys will be mapped to navigate the autocomplete dropdown. 

@Viv illo veith

Image clips = is in the works but not completely done yet, thanks for noticing.

PDF clips = in the works as well

Thx for sending over the Clip quality links we will add them to our testplan.  

• Like 1

<Sigh> Much better layout and it worked first time for me - but I seem now to have lost the option to save a clip to the desktop client rather than the web client.  Any chance that will come back?  It's a bit pivotal for me in that when I clip bookings and meeting details I don't want to have to sync before I can edit the note.  It's not (usually) a long wait,  but if I'm setting up several meetings I have to sync several times to process each note in turn.  It adds up.

• Like 2

For me:

First of all, great work, nice to be in the same chrom* level.

I ran into multiple "No internet connectriobn" most of the time when running the ff plugin from my linux machine at work behind a webproxy. Maybe this is the reason but it's quite anoying, browsing the web and the clipper saying that you're not connected...

As gaz, i'm missing the option to customize the simplified view with my own css, remember the old 4 big buttons to change the clipper rendering ;-)

Also, can stack can be collapsible in the notebook selector?

Just my 2 cent. Any update planned that we need to apply?

Cheers

Edited by cybermarmotte

Thx Cyber,

1) Yes we are troubleshooting the 'No internet connection' error and working on a fix.

2) We're not planning to enable several themes or custom CSS for Simplified article for the first release, may come later.

3) Collapsing stacks is not supported yet, may come later.

Latest build is from June 9 (same note as in the OP), I'll post here whenever I have a new build with a noteworthy improvement.

Thx for the feedback.  

I've now rolled back to the production version - long story,  but the reason I returned to Firefox (from Chrome) recently was that I really need to have quick access to note links when processing various clips.  I far prefer the current Chrome and the new Firefox layout,  but the ability to save to my local database is a must,  so I don't have to sync first - which can take a little time.  What really brought it home was the recent outage when I couldn't sync at all,  and everything came to a screaming halt.  I really,  really need that native clipping - so back to basics for me!

I'm sorry. Only me after install addons opens tabs on _ttp://www.cinemablend.com/games/Monochroma-Review-Beautiful-Nearly-Broken-64332.html?

Nightly 33a1 on Windows 7 x86

HI Apollo,

Yepp that's a known mistake, we we're debugging against that page and it accidentally was left there. It will be removed. 

Excluding that - how does it work for you?

Excluding that - how does it work for you?

Good, but when restarting/opening the browser is freezing (which was not the case with 5.9). But this is likely due to the low capacity of the laptop.

Hmm... haven't seen that in our testing. What specs does your machine have? And what FF version do you run?

Im not really sure if it's updating automatically, it just asked my login info again (and it seems you've updated the note on the first post of this thread).
1) Is the beta being updated constantly? if so, what periodicity and how can we track that?
2)  I'm quite sure we should update manually, can you confirm?
Thanks

Hi,

Really liking it so far, a great improvemennt over the previous version. 

Small issue i have noticed, in Firefox 30, if i add the icon to the Menu drop down then it still show the small icon and this looks very out of place. 

Also second the need for local clipping. 

Otherwise, excellent work

David

@igoose

1) The beta needs to be re-installed manually at this time, thx for noticing. I added that info to the OP. 

2) As above

@dguillame

Thx, will look into the size of the icon in the Menu drop down. If possible can you post or PM a screenshot to me so that I'm sure we fix the correct instance... would be very appreciated. 

Clipping to local is in development. 

@dguillame

Thx, will look into the size of the icon in the Menu drop down. If possible can you post or PM a screenshot to me so that I'm sure we fix the correct instance... would be very appreciated. 

Clipping to local is in development.

jbignert I have snet you the screenshots

the initial area selected for the " article" clipping is focused on the title only (or a really small header area), on Chrome or Safari it gets a bigger chunk (usually the whole article)

• Like 1

@igoose

What URL does this happen on? I've seen it certain pages (which is somewhat expected since the algorithm for finding the article may fail occasionally) Or does it happen on all article pages for you?

When clipping a page that contains a PDF document, after selecting save (Full page), everything looks like it's working but the page does not clip and you get a "EDAMUserException" error in a box and the only option is to click "OK"

@igoose

What URL does this happen on? I've seen it certain pages (which is somewhat expected since the algorithm for finding the article may fail occasionally) Or does it happen on all article pages for you?

unfortunatelly happens in most cases

examples

http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-once-tried-to-kill-a-journalist-because-of-t-1594678986?utm_source=digg&utm_medium=email

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/the-big-ideas-behind-androids-awesome-new-design-language/

@Igoose

Thanks for the added details. I tested against the latest FF Clipper build (June 26) and article detection was spot on. 

It may be that you have earlier beta version so I've updated the link in the OP with the latest build. If possible please confirm that this build performs better also for you. You will have to do a uninstall - reinstall.... 

When clipping a page that contains a PDF document, after selecting save (Full page), everything looks like it's working but the page does not clip and you get a "EDAMUserException" error in a box and the only option is to click "OK"

I downloaded the latest beta version as suggested, the error is no longer present but it still does not properly save PDF files (of course I could just download, save them and attach them to a evernote doc instead).  When attempting to clip the pdf file (e.g. Adobe Lightroom doc at the following URL: http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/lightroom_reference.pdf) it seems to work but when reviewing the clipped document in Evernote only a small shell of the actual PDF exists and 90% of the actual content seems to be missing (majority of the 200+ pages are blank).

@Igoose

Thanks for the added details. I tested against the latest FF Clipper build (June 26) and article detection was spot on. 

It may be that you have earlier beta version so I've updated the link in the OP with the latest build. If possible please confirm that this build performs better also for you. You will have to do a uninstall - reinstall.... 

that did it, thanks. Maybe you could post a small note here (new post) as updates happen so the users that are subscribed get a heads up (also when major changes happen you could also include them on it). I don't want to create more work for you but could really help us beta test.

Just noticed something, when editing the Fx toolbar the clipper icon changes to a larger text button, something small but not sure if you were aware

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

(Fx = Firefox... being kinda of a nerd/jerk here but that's the correct acronym. not that anyone cares :P )

• Like 2

Moved this topic to the Web Clipper forum to make it public and added latest beta build dated July 2. 

I just added the evernote link on the OP to my notes, I'm expecting Evernote to warn me whenever you update the file, would  that work or are you changing the shared note every time?

(My end goal here is simply be using the last available beta everytime, since there's no auto-update)

I am using Firefox 31 RC2 on Win 8 x64

Installed and reinstalled the web cliper and it does show in my addons but I can't use it since I can't get the icon to show anywhere.
In my custimaze menu there is nothing about web cliper and nowhere among icnons in the Firefox UI. Please help. What am I doing wrong?

Clipping is not working at all (endless hourglassing) - Firefox 31, OS X 10.9.4

Latest beta.  Removed, resinstalled, restarted, no difference.

Common guys it took you ten thousand years of silence about development, and now you asking us to test it but you are still not providing any feedback as to how to use it. Information please.

Firefox 31 broke some things that we're testing fixes for right now. More info and a new build coming soon.

• Like 1

Firefox 31 broke some things that we're testing fixes for right now. More info and a new build coming soon.

Thank you. Please post an update here so we know that it's available to test. And please if it's not too much trouble check with Firefox 32 beta, it's already in beta stage. Usually stable and just minor updates but still please check. Thank you.

Posted an updated build dated July 24. Same link as in OP. 

Known regressions:

Article detection = not working
Simplified article = not working
Bookmark = not working

Hmm... haven't seen that in our testing. What specs does your machine have? And what FF version do you run?

I'm sorry to be so long

APU ­- AMD C-50 (2×1 GGz), Radeon HD 6250, 2 Gb memory. FF version 33 or 34 (Nightly)

Installation, open the page clipper, freezing FF and memory leak in FF.
Current version works for me as bad as before.

Glad to see this extension is coming along. Testing the beta now.

Will you be adding support for clipping Gmail emails like in the Chrome version? Or is this something that's only possible in the Chrome browser?

Gmail clipping is planned but not for the first GA release. I don't have an ETA for it at the moment. 

• Like 2

@Toronto, if you can post the URL that would be great for us to test against. 

Thx, We can reproduce the problem. (the default title includes 'illegal' characters / markup). Have logged a bug for it.

Appreciate the report.  

Hi all,

We pushed a new beta version that includes:

- Native clipping on Mac & Windows

- Selection clipping

- Various bug fixes including title bug and more.

Please reinstall from the original post or here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s13/sh/2549631c-cebf-4b21-9518-95a2081bbc15/0c8e2fd9221398e819b141a600acf7dc

And let me know your feedback.

Thanks.  What's the Ver# of this Beta?

Great update, thanks a bunch, here my feedback:

• I can't edit notebook or tags while in the clipper when I choose Native option to save, I'm quite sure Chrome doesn't behave that way (and I like to edit notebook and tags prior to saving! :) )
  • had an issue w this article, http://blogs.estadao.com.br/que-mario/uma-viagem-no-tempo-com-controles-de-videogames/ error was
    RangeError: arguments array passed to Function.prototype.apply is too large
     ( article is a list of images) - ver 5 was able to handle
  • this is a great great great update, native saving and selective clipping were things I was really missing, great to see it back. We also have screenshot and annotations (that I don't remember being there). The only last killer feature I miss is in google search results but I was able to work around it, just keep both betaa 6 and 5.9 running. I don't see any conflicts between them so far (just hide the old icon on the bar) and it's been great. I recommend to anyone.

@igoose

Notebook selection and tag selection will not be available for native clipping setting in the first release. 

Thx MisterPetkus,

We've confirmed the problem on that site. Hope we can fix that before release. 

Appreciate the report. 

I noticed an unusual high CPU usage for Firefox even while it is showing no tabs (only about:blank) with Web Clipper 6 installed. I switched back to 5.9.1 and the CPU usage is back to normal.

The CPU was constantly around 8-12% on a MacBook Air with i5 Ivy Bridge CPU.

Since updating to the latest beta, the Evernote blog has been opening as a new tab every time I open the Firefox browser. It's a little annoying! Otherwise things are working pretty well.

• Like 1

Since updating to the latest beta, the Evernote blog has been opening as a new tab every time I open the Firefox browser. It's a little annoying! Otherwise things are working pretty well.

exact same issue here

Having the same problem as Krunoslav earlier in the post - the beta version (6.0 alpha 16 from the note updated August 21) is showing up in my addon manager but no sign of it anywhere else in Firefox (version 31.0). No context menu entry, no toolbar icon, no icon in my customize menu.  It did give me a notification that the extension was installed successfully but did not require a Firefox restart.  I've uninstalled the extension, reinstalled, restarted Firefox in between, made sure both Firefox and everything Evernote related (Windows app, etc) were closed in the task manager.

Having the same problem as Krunoslav earlier in the post - the beta version (6.0 alpha 16 from the note updated August 21) is showing up in my addon manager but no sign of it anywhere else in Firefox (version 31.0). No context menu entry, no toolbar icon, no icon in my customize menu.  It did give me a notification that the extension was installed successfully but did not require a Firefox restart.  I've uninstalled the extension, reinstalled, restarted Firefox in between, made sure both Firefox and everything Evernote related (Windows app, etc) were closed in the task manager.

After much disabling and re-enabling extensions, I've found the conflict - apparently the Web Clipper and Download Manager (S3) don't like each other.  I can live without that, though, and the Web Clipper looks great, though I haven't tried it much yet.

After much disabling and re-enabling extensions, I've found the conflict - apparently the Web Clipper and Download Manager (S3) don't like each other.  I can live without that, though, and the Web Clipper looks great, though I haven't tried it much yet.

Yes you are right, Loramir. That was the problem, good job on finding the source. I don't want to lose the Download Manager (S3), though. I would appropriate the Evernote team resolve that conflict.

That being said, and now that I finally got to try it out. It is a bit of a let down. Many of the features, are still missing to make it as the one in Chrome. Especially the smart filing. Otherwise it's pretty much like Clearly.

• Like 1

Krunoslav, I switched to this as a replacement for Download Manager (S3) - seems to work fine with the Web Clipper and does basically the same stuff as Download Manager (S3).

Having tried out the Web Clipper a few times, I found an issue with selection clipping (which I think is supposed to work in this release?).  If I select text and then use the context menu to clip the selection, it works fine and sends it to my default notebook.  If I use the toolbar button and tell it to clip the selection, it creates a note with the correct title but with no text, only a .acgi file attached to it.  I tried opening that file in Notepad just for curiosity, and it appears to contain the HTML code of the entire page I was clipping from.  I tried this on several different sites with the same result.  Clipping as an article or simplified article seems to work fine, so for right now I have to clip the whole article and go in and manually delete the bits I don't want.

Another thing - I miss the way the Chrome extension would give you a link to your note after it finished clipping. This one doesn't seem to (yet, anyway), so to check on whether the clip worked correctly or add a tag I forgot, I have to keep Evernote open and keep refreshing it every time I clip something.

Thx Loramir,

We'll take a look at the conflict with DM and see if we can resolve it on our side. 

I can reproduce the selection clipping problem described and that is certainly a regression from previous version that we will fix.

Links to the note and related notes will be implemented before release so it's a work in progress.

Appreciate the report. 

Krunoslav, I switched to this as a replacement for Download Manager (S3) - seems to work fine with the Web Clipper and does basically the same stuff as Download Manager (S3).

Having tried out the Web Clipper a few times, I found an issue with selection clipping (which I think is supposed to work in this release?).  If I select text and then use the context menu to clip the selection, it works fine and sends it to my default notebook.  If I use the toolbar button and tell it to clip the selection, it creates a note with the correct title but with no text, only a .acgi file attached to it.  I tried opening that file in Notepad just for curiosity, and it appears to contain the HTML code of the entire page I was clipping from.  I tried this on several different sites with the same result.  Clipping as an article or simplified article seems to work fine, so for right now I have to clip the whole article and go in and manually delete the bits I don't want.

Another thing - I miss the way the Chrome extension would give you a link to your note after it finished clipping. This one doesn't seem to (yet, anyway), so to check on whether the clip worked correctly or add a tag I forgot, I have to keep Evernote open and keep refreshing it every time I clip something.

Thanks, I remember trying hat one over the S3, but it had a bug and one of the finished downloads remain forever. I will either try it again or wait for the final release of Web Clipper where I hope the Evernote can fix the compatibility issues. Thanks once again.

All in all, I'm liking alpha 16 from Aug 20.  Has lots of potential!

Don't know if it's a bug, or an odd website, but here is a wordpress.com page that won't clip with this version.  It does clip in Chrome.

http://helentronica.wordpress.com/2014/09/04/quantum-mechanics-with-the-python/

I get the following error popup.  Well, I tried to paste image here, but forum won't let me.  Message says "Error: Error: Cannot read length of binary data"  (Yes, the word error is repeated, and there is no end punctuation.  At the very least, the double "Error:" suggests something unexpected is happening.

Hope this helps development.

Hi Jim,

Thx for reporting the issue you ran into. We've tried to reproduce the problem but cannot trigger it so I'm reaching out for some more details from you. 

OS version?

Firefox version?

What type of clip are you trying to make when the error happens?

More detailed steps on what you do and when the error shows up?

If you want to create a screendump please add it to an Evernote note and share that note via URL with us here.

Well now that's interesting.  First the straightforward answers.

Clip type:  Article (accepted the default selection, and clicked "save"

Firefox version:  Here's where it's interesting.

I noticed the problem on Firefox Portable 32.0 (from portableapps.com).  I disabled all my other extensions and tested, and still have the problem.

Went to full installed Firefox, which was at 30.0, and the article clipped just fine.  Let it update Firefox to 31.0, and it also clips fine.  Firefox won't update past this version for some reason.  I'm wondering if the full install version is on the "extended release" cycle...

So there you have it.  There are 2 variables--Firefox version, and portable vs. full install.  (For the record, I've never had problems with Evernote running on the portable Firefox.)

Thanks for working on this.

A couple more data points

* that article clips just fine with Firefox ESR Portable, v. 31.1.0.

* A fresh unzip of Firefox Portable 32.0 gives the same error reported above, so I haven't corrupted it with something in my history.

Semi-Offtopic: If you are wondering why the Web Clipper for Chrome and for Firefox drifted apart so far from each other, this recent blog post might be interesting: http://omniref.com/blog/blog/2014/09/08/writing-extensions-for-firefox-is-barely-worth-the-trouble/

If development is no fun for the developer, using the end result might also be no fun for the end user. :(

I don't think that is the reason. It's the policy of Evernote that annoys everyone. There is overwhelming number of evidence here on blog and forum about it. You can look for it yourself. Loyal and eager users, including paying premium ones like myself  requesting information about development and all they hear is echo. No response from Evernote. This was true for evernote on Windows vs. MAC and it's features for very long time. It was true for Android vs. iOS as well and other platforms. People are frustrated for that and not that one is harder to make or talks longer than the other. But for a company that is supposed to be cross platform and that compatibility being it's one of main features - they certainly have a strange policy of favoring one platform over the other. Apparently, the CEO Phil Libin is a MAC and iOS user so that a lot of times get more attention. Or how about the well known case when people were complaining about lack of response from Evernote team on many features that were available on one platform but not on the other platform and no response of any kind as to when and where they will be available. And than a prominent bloger wrote about the same things, it picked up press and all of a sudden we see personal response from Phil about their plans and how they should do a better job. No, the hypocrisy is not related to development difficulty on Chrome vs. Evernote. It's a conscious policy of the company, can but doesn't.

I can't remember how long people were asking about Firefox web cliper here on forums and zero response for a very, very long time. It wasn't a response, hey we are having trouble do to difficulty on Firefox platform but we are working on it and we expect to have beta ready by this or that time. No it was zero response. That is the part that frustrates people.

P.S.

"If development is no fun for the developer, using the end result might also be no fun for the end user." :(

A company the size of Evernote, that can try to sell me hand made wallet and thermo bottle with in app advertisement, but can't make a Firefox extension or find someone to do it, I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe as legitimate reason.

That being said, I hope their iron out the bugs and release the same functionality for Firefox as they did for Chrome. Otherwise I don't think I can feel great about their policy. People want to know that the company cares for its users as much as the users care for the company, when we see genuine efforts we can't forget all kinds of faults.

• Like 1

"It's the policy of Evernote that annoys everyone. There is overwhelming number of evidence here on blog and forum about it."  Err,  if you're referring to the fact that Evernote don't respond to requests directly and (almost) never announce new releases before the event,  that's always been the case since long before I joined this forum and is the kind of comment that's often made in routine responses (see my signature).  Evernote do march to their own tune,  but then so do all the major software houses.  The reason why the clippers work differently in different browsers,  is basically that they're different browsers - it's not practical to make them behave identically.  

The reason why the clippers work differently in different browsers,  is basically that they're different browsers - it's not practical to make them behave identically.  

I'm not sure how you would know this unless you are an Evernote web clipper developer.

I've seen lots of browser extensions/addins that have been developed, with the same features, for multiple browsers.

And, in fact, isn't that exactly what Evernote is doing now, developing a FF clipper that has the same features as the Chrome clipper?

The issue here that so many are complaining about is that development of the FF clipper has greatly lagged that of the Chrome clipper.  It does appear that there might be one technical reason:  Chrome provides a better development environment for addins.

I can say this:  The Chrome clipper is great, and is so much better that I have switched my default browser to Chrome.

I get torn between Firefox and Chrome because the Chrome clipper is great,  but it saves clips to the server,  which then have to sync back to my local database before I can get a note link. Firefox has a lot of the same functions,  but it saves directly to my HD database so I can sync and get a link more quickly.  As you should be pretty much aware,  I'm not an Evernote Developer,  but I do talk to one or two of them,  and without using big technical words that I wouldn't understand,  the information I got suggested things worked that way because Evernote had to work within the limitations of the environment they were manipulating.  Also I kind of guess that if it were easy,  they would have done it already.

Thank you for working on this - the beta client looks fantastic and the new features are extremely helpful - being able to edit elements of the clip directly in the clipper is a real time-saver.

Issue: I've just downloaded and it seems as though there is no longer the ability to clip directly on a clipped youtube video image and be connected directly to that video.  Let's say you have a blogpost with an embedded video, or if you're on YT itself, the page will clip properly but previously you could click the image grab that represented the video in EN and be directed to that video.  It would be useful to have this back.

Well, just tried alpha 20, and I still have the problem clipping the previously linked wordpress page, using Portable Firefox 32.0 as before. I expect you already know that, though.  It's obvious you've been working on it, as now instead of the Evernote blog opening with Firefox, the problem page opens.  Hope others don't mind a dose of scientific Python programming!

(firenote-Sept-10\resources\firenote\lib\ui.js line 129 was left uncommented by devs, prompting the tab to open.)

• Like 1

Mike,

That page is one I linked to a few posts up, because it causes problems with my Firefox (Portable) 32.0.  (The previous alpha version opened the evernote blog.) 

I dug into the code, and found a block of links labeled "use cases".  Obviously, the developers are using them to test functionality.  The line with my link in it is uncommented in the latest Sep 10 version.  It is kind of annoying, but it's the price of trying a pre-release version.  I'm sure that will be fixed in the final release.

While it's open, can you try to clip it in Article mode?  The Sep 10 version has problems with FF Portable 32.0, but works in 31.1.

Jim, I assumed that (the site you mentioned) and tried clipping. Clipping the article works for me (FF v 33 beta 2). I'm clippimg to the local client btw.

Yes we test reported problematic sites aggressively so that's why they sometimes are opening on launch. That will certainly be removed for a release ready version, I realize it's somewhat annoying. 

Yes we test reported problematic sites aggressively so that's why they sometimes are opening on launch. That will certainly be removed for a release ready version, I realize it's somewhat annoying. 

Why do you embed the problematic sites in the source code?  Couldn't you just have a browser bookmark list of problem web sites?

Jim, I assumed that (the site you mentioned) and tried clipping. Clipping the article works for me (FF v 33 beta 2). I'm clippimg to the local client btw.

Thanks for that info.  I'll have to try to get  the 33 beta, and also try clipping locally.

No worries.  I actually got a good chuckle from it, and at least know you're working on the problem!

Thanks again.

Why do you embed the problematic sites in the source code?  Couldn't you just have a browser bookmark list of problem web sites?

Actually, I think it's great that it's in the code.  It gives them a readily accessible list of sites known to be problematic, so when a new clipper version is ready for release, they can quickly check those sites to make sure the difficult sites are still handled properly.  With multiple developers, one could miss a particular site if they were using bookmarks.

Remember, these are pre-release versions (at this point still alpha according to firefox), which means they are known not to be ready for prime time.

Actually, I think it's great that it's in the code.  It gives them a readily accessible list of sites known to be problematic, so when a new clipper version is ready for release, they can quickly check those sites to make sure the difficult sites are still handled properly.  With multiple developers, one could miss a particular site if they were using bookmarks.

Remember, these are pre-release versions (at this point still alpha according to firefox), which means they are known not to be ready for prime time.

I see no advantage and lots of disadvantages.  If you want to add/remove a site, it requires very significant effort to change the code, debug it, test it, create a new build for distribution.  With a simple URL list of problem sites, like in a shared Evernote Note, it would be quick and easy, and allow for comments.

IMO, Alpha versions should NEVER be released to the public.

OK, another piece of information.  The link below gives me the same error I mentioned previously, using the same Firefox & OS versions.

http://www.digitalphotomentor.com/the-difference-between-reflective-and-incident-metering-and-how-they-work/

I'm not an HTML/web programming expert, but I can see that both sites seem to be Wordpress based.  Maybe a dev will be able to find the specific, common link between them.

HTH

I'm having an issue with logging into my account using the latest (first occurred in a previous version, alpha.4 from memory, but continued when I updated to alpha.21.1) web clipper add-on.

I only noticed this after firefox updated to version ~32.0.3.

I'm not having the same issue with the full release web clipper...

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm having an issue with logging into my account using the latest (first occurred in a previous version, alpha.4 from memory, but continued when I updated to alpha.21.1) web clipper add-on.

What kind of an issue?

What kind of an issue?

Haha... Yeah, could help if I put that in.

The issue is that even though I'm connected to the internet, and am able to send/receive data, I cannot log on, and get the message "No internet connection" in the log in pop-up.

Have a look around the forums for similar problems - lots of small things may affect this; restart the system,  empty the trash notebook,  check whether you can see web pages in IE (it shares the same connection route).  Worst case,  uninstall and reinstall Evernote (backup your database,  but don't remove it..)..

I am using alpha 21.1 but there seems to be an issue with thumbnail pictures not showing up in snippet view, both in desktop and web.

Firefox version is 32.0.3.

I have tried different sites.

No issue with full release clipper for Firefox or when clipping in Chrome.

Is this a known problem or is there some way I can fix it myself?

6.0.25 Alpha of Oct. 8th

First: Thank you so much for the good workd (and especially for eleminating the gray background of saved "without formating" notes!)!

One thing:

On the Google search pages the big black box at the right side is far too dominant/distracting for the eyes. Make it smaller, lightgray or whatever, please.

Quick question for the devs - how will we know when the clipper has been moved from beta?

As it stands, on the Firefox extension page, it shows the production clipper has greyed-out since it's disabled.

Just curious...

@MisterPetkus

Not sure I understand. I'll post here once we move to production (soon hopefully). After the new version is released the current 5.9.1 will update to version 6 and the beta should be removed.

If you actively disabled the current production clipper while running the beta version you should be able to enable it again at any time. 

If you are using Firefox nightly / beta builds then current production version should be compatible up to Firefox version 36 (at the moment).