jbignert

firefox Web Clipper 6 for Firefox - beta

Idea

Hi all,

We have a release candidate version for the new Firefox Web Clipper that we'd like to invite a few select people to start testing.

It is a complete re-write and doesn't share any code with the previous version so we expect some turbulence in the beginning. 

When you report issues please post your OS, Firefox versions, URL where an issue can be observed and as much details as necessary for us to reproduce the problem. 

Not expected to work in this version:

- Sharing 

Get the latest build here: 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

And feel free to post both design & performance feedback as well as straight up bugs. 

• Like 1

244 replies to this idea

Installed successfully and seems to be very similar to the Safari plugin which I was hoping to get for Firefox.  The old Firefox plugin would occasionally close down when adding multiple tags.  This beta is much more user friendly.

I initally installed the beta 6.0 for Firefox. Couldn't clip a page or screen shot

Re-installed and the web clipper appears to be fully functional.

Inital impression is this is much better than the old version.  The clip quality is superior.

Thx folks,

We looked into the irrational behavior just after installation and have fixed a couple of bugs so thanks for your support. We'll push out new version about once a week and I'll post updates on this thread. Appreciate your feedback.

Couldn't get a screen shot of it but when signing in with 2-factor authentication the message alerting me that the 6 digit code had been sent to my phone didn't display the phone number. It showed:

"... message sent to $phone$..."

I like the look and feel of the clipper a lot!!  I have run into two problems so far.

1.  When I first tried to log in on the clipper I got a "No Internet Connection" message which was not correct. I did a second restart of Firefox and had no problem. This is just regular login with Username and Password.

2.  This clip has some issues. Note link: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/38b8ca3d-913e-4098-a975-23189fccffaa/9736291a16a7eba350d8423d0a6c6d86.

Steps were:

1. Website: http://rootsnursery.com/wp-content/uploads/starting-seeds-indoors.jpg
  2. Opened Clipper. It showed that it was clipping the whole page.
  3. Used Minus Sign at top of clipper. It showed that it was clipping the white area.
  4. Added a note to test the note function.
  5. You can see the odd result.

Also checked to see if I could right click on the image to save the image to Evernote but it looks like there is no right functionality yet with this clipper installed.

Wish List for the new clipper (which of course I have no idea if either of these are feasible!)

On the Clip list I wish it also had these two options:

1. Image
  2. PDF

PDFs often seem hard to clip. I frequently have to use the print dialog to save the pdf to Evernote.

Don't mean to be spamming the list but here are two more failed clips.

Steps:

1. Searched for a pdf: http://wasatchgardens.org/files/resource/attachment/Beginning%20Organic%20Gardening%20Resources_1.pdf
  2. Opened clipper. Clipper frame shows that it has just the pdf selected. Article is selected in the sidebar.
  3. Note clipped: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/620a9062-5e72-4e7e-9896-294e6ee3a760/2245944685329c74e8ee9d05695257f3
  4. Second try with full page selected: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s30/sh/25bfb2b8-42ed-4d11-97ae-96b7ec16b675/af0ad6e9779933c32512cfc6f55dd261

Now I am going to go plant my garden!!

HTH,

Viv Ilo

for me it feels a bit weird to be on the editing area choosing a tag for example and the arrow keys being assigned to control the clipping area. not sure if this is under study, but wanted to bring the feedback.
Nice work, seems solid

@Igoose

Yeah this is not done yet but will be. Arrow keys will be mapped to navigate the autocomplete dropdown. 

@Viv illo veith

Image clips = is in the works but not completely done yet, thanks for noticing.

PDF clips = in the works as well

Thx for sending over the Clip quality links we will add them to our testplan.  

• Like 1

<Sigh> Much better layout and it worked first time for me - but I seem now to have lost the option to save a clip to the desktop client rather than the web client.  Any chance that will come back?  It's a bit pivotal for me in that when I clip bookings and meeting details I don't want to have to sync before I can edit the note.  It's not (usually) a long wait,  but if I'm setting up several meetings I have to sync several times to process each note in turn.  It adds up.

• Like 2

For me:

First of all, great work, nice to be in the same chrom* level.

I ran into multiple "No internet connectriobn" most of the time when running the ff plugin from my linux machine at work behind a webproxy. Maybe this is the reason but it's quite anoying, browsing the web and the clipper saying that you're not connected...

As gaz, i'm missing the option to customize the simplified view with my own css, remember the old 4 big buttons to change the clipper rendering ;-)

Also, can stack can be collapsible in the notebook selector?

Just my 2 cent. Any update planned that we need to apply?

Cheers

Edited by cybermarmotte

Thx Cyber,

1) Yes we are troubleshooting the 'No internet connection' error and working on a fix.

2) We're not planning to enable several themes or custom CSS for Simplified article for the first release, may come later.

3) Collapsing stacks is not supported yet, may come later.

Latest build is from June 9 (same note as in the OP), I'll post here whenever I have a new build with a noteworthy improvement.

Thx for the feedback.  

I've now rolled back to the production version - long story,  but the reason I returned to Firefox (from Chrome) recently was that I really need to have quick access to note links when processing various clips.  I far prefer the current Chrome and the new Firefox layout,  but the ability to save to my local database is a must,  so I don't have to sync first - which can take a little time.  What really brought it home was the recent outage when I couldn't sync at all,  and everything came to a screaming halt.  I really,  really need that native clipping - so back to basics for me!

I'm sorry. Only me after install addons opens tabs on _ttp://www.cinemablend.com/games/Monochroma-Review-Beautiful-Nearly-Broken-64332.html?

Nightly 33a1 on Windows 7 x86

HI Apollo,

Yepp that's a known mistake, we we're debugging against that page and it accidentally was left there. It will be removed. 

Excluding that - how does it work for you?

Excluding that - how does it work for you?

Good, but when restarting/opening the browser is freezing (which was not the case with 5.9). But this is likely due to the low capacity of the laptop.

Im not really sure if it's updating automatically, it just asked my login info again (and it seems you've updated the note on the first post of this thread).
1) Is the beta being updated constantly? if so, what periodicity and how can we track that?
2)  I'm quite sure we should update manually, can you confirm?
Thanks

Hi,

Really liking it so far, a great improvemennt over the previous version. 

Small issue i have noticed, in Firefox 30, if i add the icon to the Menu drop down then it still show the small icon and this looks very out of place. 

Also second the need for local clipping. 

Otherwise, excellent work

David

@igoose

1) The beta needs to be re-installed manually at this time, thx for noticing. I added that info to the OP. 

2) As above

@dguillame

Thx, will look into the size of the icon in the Menu drop down. If possible can you post or PM a screenshot to me so that I'm sure we fix the correct instance... would be very appreciated. 

Clipping to local is in development.