Evernote on Mac does not sync

Can you give us more details?

Are you getting an error message?

Are you seeing only some, or none of your Evernote content?

Are you absolutely sure you are logged into the same Evernote account? (this happens more often than you'd think!) 

• Like 1

My evernote account on my iMac is not syncing with my macbook.

What are the reasons that this would happen?

BTW -- I am getting REALLY sick of cloud apps that breakdown and do not work. I mean, why in the heck do I have this problem? Why should I spend time figuring out how to fix evernote's problems?  I need my notes to be synched immediately, and across all my devices. When this does not happen, it ruins my workflow.

And finally, this really compels me to search for a note app that actually works... I'm sick of notes NOT being synched across my devices with Evernote.

Frustrated. <_<

Hi jOK,

Welcome to the forum. I have read both your post and understand your frustration. It would have been better to have this on your own thread.

But lets start the ball rolling on here.

In the first instance your opening statement seems to imply that you think your computers will sync together? This is not the case. Your account will sync to the web and each device needs to syn after that, giving you the information on each device.

Can you let us know if you synced after inputting on your Macbook?

Best regards

Chris

I have tried to sync both macs CONSTANTLY. Simply pressing the sync button symbol may cause it to spin, but none of my critical content is ever synced/delivered to both devices.

You said, "In the first instance your opening statement seems to imply that you think your computers will sync together? This is not the case. Your account will sync to the web and each device needs to syn after that, giving you the information on each device."

This should never be my problem. If I wanted to be the one paying attention to this process, then I would just use google docs, and go to google docs and work whenever I need to change a document. I chose Evernote because I wanted something more usable and efficient. I like the UI on Evernote for sure, but if I cannot trust Evernote to seamlessly sync my data in the background --which is precisely the reason I downloaded Evernote -- then, again, I might as well use Google.

And I should say this: I'm not a freeloader. I was planning to go premium....Not anymore.

That said, thanks for any help. If there is some kind of breakthrough answer here that I'm missing, then I'll be as glad as anyone.

If not, I'm taking my business elsewhere. Heck, I'd pay $20/month for a service like this that simply WORKED. Sheesh.

• Level 5*

Have you checked the web version to see what is being sync'd? Have you checked your logs? Have you opened a support ticket?

Have you done anything to help yourself?

See?This is exactly why I am coming to completely hate these apps. Dropbox is the SAME WAY. When you have a problem, it's your fault, you're not doing enough, and you should quit griping. You are being patronizing when I have a completely legitimate gripe: your app does not deliver the service it promises to provide. And so here I am, wasting all of my time trying to figure out YOUR PROBLEM.

And in answer to your query, I am on this board right now, am I not? AS a matter of fact, again: I'm wasting my precious time, responding to your condescension and unjustified irritation at my concern about the fact that Evernote does not work.

The fact is this: I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHECK ANYTHING. Evernote should work as promised. And if you think that's unreasonable, then you really do not understand the nature of app marketing and branding these days...... the apps that work well, in delightful ways, with no questions asked, are the ones that will remain in years to come.

And by the way, I use plenty of apps that work as promised, they've worked for years as promised, and I never have to run around trying to figure out deal=breaker problems that literally bring my work to a halt.

• Like 2

The fact is this: I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO CHECK ANYTHING. Evernote should work as promised. And if you think that's unreasonable, then you really do not understand the nature of app marketing and branding these days...... the apps that work well, in delightful ways, with no questions asked, are the ones that will remain in years to come.

If the electricity in your house suddenly stopped working, would you sit in the dark saying" it should just work"? Or would you go check the breaker box? Look out the window to see if your neighbors have electricity or not? 

I will leave aside the discussion over whether technology can work perfectly for another day. The issue at hand is getting your Evernote account working. To do that, you'll need to start with the troubleshooting steps already mentioned. And you may have to do a few more. If you're not willing to do that, there's probably not much we or the Evernote Support folks can do to help you. 

FYI, no one who has answered in this thread works for Evernote. Like you, we are users. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

See?This is exactly why I am coming to completely hate these apps. Dropbox is the SAME WAY. When you have a problem, it's your fault, you're not doing enough, and you should quit griping. You are being patronizing when I have a completely legitimate gripe: your app does not deliver the service it promises to provide. And so here I am, wasting all of my time trying to figure out YOUR PROBLEM.

And in answer to your query, I am on this board right now, am I not? AS a matter of fact, again: I'm wasting my precious time, responding to your condescension and unjustified irritation at my concern about the fact that Evernote does not work.

And by the way, I use plenty of apps that work as promised, they've worked for years as promised, and I never have to run around trying to figure out deal=breaker problems that literally bring my work to a halt.

A very sad reaction from someone who has been offered help by some very experienced users.

As they say, you can lead a horse to water......

If you should decide to give us the extra information we require, perhaps we might be able to help you.

I do wonder if you have done as suggested by Metrodon and checked if you data is on the web? If not, you are not syncing properly. If it is the chances are you may have two different accounts or any number of other things that users sometimes get wrong.

But at risk of offending you any more I will wish you good luck in a search for what appears to have gone wrong with YOUR Evernote.

Best regards

Chris

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

I know this is way out of date but i found this thread yesterday when i was suffering a similar problem after reinstallation of Evernote on OSX. The new Evernote installation as connected and signed into my account, my account had hundreds of documents, and those were visible and sync-able between my iPhone and iPad - but not my MacBook pro. 

Turns out the only thing to fix the problem, was to remove Evernote (in the normal way) by deleting the package from the normal /Applications folder. 

This i noticed leaves residual Evernote files (and state) in the /Users/john/Library/Application Support/com.Evernote folder.

Please note this folder will not be visible in your Finder unless you have hidden files enabled, but you can navigate to it in the terminal if you use quotation marks around the path : cd "/Users/john/Library/Application Support". Also replace 'john' with your username - you can verify that using the whoami command in the terminal. 

So to the solution:

1. Uninstall Evernote application from OSX/mac
  2. Delete the folder /Users/john/Library/Application Support/com.Evernote using the command: rm -rf "/Users/john/Library/Application Support/com.Evernote"
  3. Reinstall Evernote
  4. Sign-in as normal

Synchronisation should continue as normal, it did for me anyway after hours of troubleshooting. I think this also tallies with the earlier solution offered by the person suggesting to download an app-cleaner application. This solution, is far easier and doesn't require a new app to be installed. 

Hop this helps.

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...

I had trouble with syncing my notes after installing on a new mac.  The Evernote Support person gave me this information to force the sync from the server:

1. Open Evernote for Mac 2. Hold the **Shift** and **Option** keys on your keyboard and click the sync wheel. 3. Depending on the number of notes in your account, the amount of time it can take for the force sync to finish will vary. **Please allow the application to complete the sync process before continuing to use the application.**