Saving Memory with Evernote

Another_Ian

Idea

Hello --

I have Evernote Premium, and have the client software installed on my Mac.  Does anybody know if the documents that I put on Evernote use up storage on my Mac?  I have obtined this script from veritrope (link takes you to the page where script can be obtained and explained), and so my scans go directly into a folder with a folder-action that sends the scans to Evernote.  It seems to work because the documents do indeed show up there.  When I then delete the scans from the folder (the one on my computer with the "folder action"), the document can still be accessed from my Evernote client, as desired.

However, I am new to this, so I'm not sure where my Evernote client program is "looking" in order to display the document to me.  Is it still stored on my machine?  I don't want it to be, because I want to save storage space on my machine.  (I understand the necessity of back-ups, etc. but am planning on using a different solution for that, which I am still exploring.).

Thank you!

5 replies to this idea

Welcome to the Forum!

I too use that script tool.  Veritrope is a great site.

Once the documents are imported into Evernote, they are placed in an Evernote database on your computer. (You can sync to their server as well)  So, you can delete the file as you have been from the Import Folder.  Now, about the Evernote Database.  It is stored here:  Library>Application Support>Evernote

I have over 1200 Notes with hundreds of PDF files, audio & photos, etc.  My EN database is only 2 gb in size.  So, by using EN on your device you are not using an elaborate amount of space.

Thanks, Sentinel I appreciate it.  Even though such files don't take up much space individually, I am a lawyer with clients who have lots of big documents.  So, my databases currently in DevonThink take up 10GB, and I want to future proof my system from becoming too unweildly on my desktop.  Yet, while still preserving iterative back ups at some level. Any suggestions that fit this?  Thank you again!

I am in the legal field as well. (We can Private Message and I will tell you more about that.)  So, I know exactly what kind of documents you are referring to.  Confidentiality is a grave concern as well.  One of the nice things I have found with EN is the ability to Export Notes into .enex files.  EN basically compresses the Notes into very small files for archive/storage purposes.  Test this:  Find a large Note in your account (determine the size), Export it onto your computer and see how small it becomes.  

As my case files close, I will Export them to an external HD for local and cloud storage.  They are easily/readily accessible in the event I need to review them for any reason.  When Importing a .enex file back into EN, it only takes seconds to complete.

That is one way to do it.

• Level 5*

Thanks, Sentinel I appreciate it.  Even though such files don't take up much space individually, I am a lawyer with clients who have lots of big documents.  So, my databases currently in DevonThink take up 10GB, and I want to future proof my system from becoming too unweildly on my desktop.  Yet, while still preserving iterative back ups at some level. Any suggestions that fit this?  Thank you again!

I'm afraid this can be a problem, and some of us are eagerly awaiting selective sync. Here is a solution I have used for the last few years.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit well with my present circumstances at all, and probably won't work for you either. Another simple solution would be to upgrade to Evernote Business. Your documents would then be stored in a library that doesn't have to be downloaded onto your computer. HOWEVER, the problem with this is that you cannot yet search your Business library, so you would have to remember well which notebook you put your stuff into. If you are pretty organized, this is no problem, but for me, it won't work. Here is some info about differences between Free, Premium, and Business.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

As you can see, IF we gain the ability to search notebooks in the library, Evernote Business would be very tempting. In my case (and I suspect in yours), I also need encryption, so that would be pretty much perfect.

Thank you for the responses, Sentinel and GM.

Sentinel - interesting that you are in the legal biz.  Makes me wonder what proportion of EN users are -- probably pretty high.  Eventually I will probably do the experiment you've suggested, by exporting no-longer-active clients.

GM - Thanks for the links to the related articles.

Funny story about my memory concerns (which are no longer as grave as they were when I first posted:  My Mac showed 207 GB of my storage taken up by "other" so at first I was concerned at the rate that my DevonThink data seemed to be growing.  Then I used OmniSweep (a disk diagnostic tool) to figure out what was taking up all the space, and I discovered that 97GB was being taken up by backups from OmniFocus (a productivity tool that makes a great partner for a database app such as EN).  Now I have an extra 100GB back and I am comfortable launching the EN stage of my life, knowing that Biz-version is available if it becomes necessary!

Although, I would still like to see something full-featured designed for cloud-use, with no desk-top storage required.

Archived