Where are attachments stored

pkondo

Idea

I'm clearly searching incorrectly because this seems like a basic question. Or maybe I don't understanding how it works.

I have a Premium account.  

I use an ix500 scanner which saves as a pdf document to Evernote.

The scanned document also gets saved to the Pictures folder on my computer.

Once the document is scanned and in Evernote, it gets synced to Evernote so it's available on all my devices.

Can I delete the scanned files from my Pictures folder at that point?

Do the scanned files get put somewhere else on my computer (in some Evernote file/folder)?  If so, where are they stored? 

Thanks,

Paul

12 replies to this idea

I'm clearly searching incorrectly because this seems like a basic question. Or maybe I don't understanding how it works.

I have a Premium account.

I use an ix500 scanner which saves as a pdf document to Evernote.

The scanned document also gets saved to the Pictures folder on my computer.

Once the document is scanned and in Evernote, it gets synced to Evernote so it's available on all my devices.

Can I delete the scanned files from my Pictures folder at that point?

Do the scanned files get put somewhere else on my computer (in some Evernote file/folder)? If so, where are they stored?

Thanks,

Paul

It's helpful to mention what client you're using. WRT Windows desktop...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/25418-file-location-of-attached-files/

• Level 5

Windows?

>Tools >Options >Open Database folder

All the attachments, photos, and notes are stored inside the .EXB file

I have 30,000 notes (half of them are scanned PDF's). My .EXB is 6 GB.

Even though you sync, I suggest you maintain some backups of the .EXB file. Don't completely rely on the cloud. And this is especially important if you have any local (non-sync'd) notebooks. Once you are comfortable with the way Evernote works, you could start deleting the scanned files from your picture folder.

• Level 5

Hi,

The content of local notebooks is also in this .exb file ? (that's what I understand, but I would like to be sure)

For Windows...

Yes, but that information is not sync'd to the cloud. That is why I maintain a rotating set of backups.

I don't know how the Mac version is handled.

Hi,

The content of local notebooks is also in this .exb file ? (that's what I understand, but I would like to be sure)

For Windows...

Yes, but that information is not sync'd to the cloud. That is why I maintain a rotating set of backups.

Yes that's for backup local NB too... it's unfortunate that it's not on a separate file, we have to save the whole exb for just a part.

• Level 5

Yes that's for backup local NB too... it's unfortunate that it's not on a separate file, we have to save the whole exb for just a part.

I remain extra cautious and continue to maintain a rotating set of backups.

The data on the cloud can become corrupted and then you are completely hosed. 

It happened to me a couple years ago. 

Sorry, I was careful to explain my what I was doing but somehow forgot my platform.  I'm using Mac OS 10.9. 

I have multiple backups, online and offline so I'm covered for that.

I just don't want to have to have redundant files.

Your local EN database on Mac is stored in a very cryptic array of directories rather than a single database file. If you were crazy and determines, you could dig through this mess of seemingly randomly titled directories to find what corresponds to which note/notebook and isolate those as backups.

Or just let time machine (and if your wise, another back up solution in addition) take care of the whole mess.since it isn't a single database file like on Windows, editing one note won't force an entire new backup of your entire database, just the altered file itself. You won't chew through your TM backup drive with a few note edits this way!

Thanks. Bizarre that it's all over the place. Although I don't love how Apple creates these apps like iphoto and Aperture where everything is stored in one app folder and you have to show contents either. 

Well, it's not "all over the place", it just isn't in a proprietary container. 

I agree, single database files have some drawbacks (and some significant advantages). But nevertheless, Time Machine does a pretty remarkable job with single databases like those produced by Aperture, and with the EN style approach. If you have Time Machine working, that takes care of some of your basic backup needs!

• Level 5*

If you downloaded directly it's in user/library/application support/evernote

If you downloaded from the app store it's here ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote

And, if you have an iMac with a fusion drive, it might be here

/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/  

Archived