Post-It Notes and File Sizes

QFieldBoden

Idea

Hi

I've just started tinkering with snapping photos of Post-It notes using an iPad. I'm just using standard white Post-It notes and writing on the note with a black pen. An average Post-It note as I plan to use them will contain about 30-50 words.

What I can't understand is why the Post-Its, when they appear in Evernote actually occupy about 0.5MB (500 kilobytes) per 9cmx9cm sheet which sounds like a lot of storage for such a small amount of information. I'm a bit reluctant to go down this route and burn through a great load of storage when the equivalent information typed directly into a note would only be around 700 bytes. Just looks to me as if I am using approximately 10x the storage for the same information?

The other problem when using a mobile device, here anyway, comes if you snap say 6 Post-Its this can cause quite a problem to upload the resulting 3MB file over the mobile network.

If I scan a single Post-It with my scanner it comes out with a file size of 29 kilobytes but if I want the OCR function in Evernote to work it has to be scanned to a JPEG file so only one Post-It can be scanned per note.

Any advice would be much appreciated as this seems to be an excellent feature but very memory and bandwidth hungry, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

:)

7 replies to this idea

Hi,

I don t know if it is overweight but we must take several things into consideration.

The weight of the image alone.

The weight of the text alone.

The weight of the table that will store position and dimensions of shapes for each word.

• Level 5*

I'd suggest raising a support ticket to ensure Evernote are aware of this - they may have some suggestions how to slim down these scans.  Have you checked to see whether there's a difference in image size if you take a standard picture with your device camera vs the Evernote Post-It scanner?

I'd suggest raising a support ticket to ensure Evernote are aware of this - they may have some suggestions how to slim down these scans.  Have you checked to see whether there's a difference in image size if you take a standard picture with your device camera vs the Evernote Post-It scanner?

Hi

Taking a photo of the Post-It with the device camera without using the Evernote iOS application results in a file size which is approximately double the size when taken using the camera via the Evernote application so no gains there but worth a shot so thanks for the thought! So far in space terms the best option appears to be to scan the Post-Its using a ScanSnap scanner or the like which is fine if you have one available to you where you happen to be! It's a shame the file sizes are so large using the iOS application as, for me at least, this is just wasting device space I can make better use of.

Might try the support ticket route.

Hi

The large file size per note in practical terms means that if one were to buy one of the Evernote Post-It holders with a block of the four colours in it one would be buying 4x90 = 360 individual Post-Its. On the assumption that if one is going to use these special Post-Its, which are more expensive than standard Post-Its, one is going to "scan" them in storage terms this single holder of Post-Its will convert to 190MB of device storage being consumed, which is significant for what I feel is a very small data volume.

To scan the same number of Post-Its using say a ScanSnap scanner would create 360 files with a total storage consumption of <11MB.

• Level 5*

Definitely not good..  looks like a good idea in the early stages of implementation.  I'm sure there's better to come - so by the time you get through the first month's upload allowance,  the next iteration of the Post-It software might have gotten a bit more economical with the storage.. but still worth a support ticket to raise it 'officially'.

Definitely not good..  looks like a good idea in the early stages of implementation.  I'm sure there's better to come - so by the time you get through the first month's upload allowance,  the next iteration of the Post-It software might have gotten a bit more economical with the storage.. but still worth a support ticket to raise it 'officially'.

Well, I've raised a support ticket and we shall see what happens. TBH I'm less worried about the monthly allowance than I am about the slow but sure guzzling of my device storage if I were to switch to using the iOS application Post-It scanning feature.

I'll report back when I hear something.

• Level 5*

Good news on one front anyway - your notes aren't held on your mobile device unless you've specified "offline searching" for one or more notebooks.  Notes will persist for a while in a temporary cache,  but once synced and unless you search for a specific note,  the information will be gone from your phone.  You'll have an index so searches can find the note,  but you'll need to be connected to a network to see the content.  

Archived