Retrieving note lock status

pwarbeck

I run Evernote on Windows 7.  I have been having the same performance issues that others have reported.  I may have found a clue.  What do you think?

I have one particularly long note that I update frequently.  Sometimes I spend an hour or more working on this note.  While I'm typing, Evernote goes into a state of suspended animation every 15 seconds or so.  Sometimes the Windows title bar says the application is not responding.  But Evernote always comes back and lets me continue typing.

I checked the log (Tools -> Options -> General tab -> Open Log Folder) and I see the following 5 lines occurring roughly every 15 seconds!

23:05:22 [8148] 0% Connecting to www.evernote.com/edam/note/s61
23:05:22 [8148] 0% Retrieving note lock status for "Lightroom Notes"
23:05:22 [8148] 0% * guid={A30FABF8-26D3-4D38-B706-0B60FC568E4F}
23:05:23 [8148] 0% * noteUpdateSequenceNumber: 7524
23:05:23 [8148] 0% * viewingUserIds: (me)

Why would Evernote need to connect to the server in order to check "lock status?"  Is it because I am working in a shared notebook?  If I un-share the notebook, will Evernote stop checking the status?  And finally, the most important question: is this connecting/checking business what's killing Evernote performance?

• Level 5*

It needs it to check to see whether the note is being edited on another client / device. This is a new feature to try to help prevent note conflicts.

• Level 5*

I unshared the notebook.  No more lags !!

Jefito: Are you saying that the cost of sharing is unacceptable performance?    

Nope - Jef is just saying that when editing notes in shared notebooks, the process now checks regularly to make sure no-one else is trying to make changes to the same note.

Sometimes I spend an hour or more working on this note

If that's in a shared notebook, someone else could be trying to change the content at the same time...

@gazumped: I understand 100% the technical necessity of going periodically to the server to check the lock.

I'm curious: Have you ever tried typing a long note in a shared notebook?  Say, a note that takes several minutes (or hours, e.g., "my novel") to type?

I suspect that Evernote is designed to cater to users who write very short notes and do so very quickly.

• Level 5*

Jefito: Are you saying that the cost of sharing is unacceptable performance?

I said nothing of the sort. My post was purely descriptive; did you see any qualitative content there?
  • Level 5*

@gazumped: I understand 100% the technical necessity of going periodically to the server to check the lock.

I'm curious: Have you ever tried typing a long note in a shared notebook?  Say, a note that takes several minutes (or hours, e.g., "my novel") to type?

I suspect that Evernote is designed to cater to users who write very short notes and do so very quickly.

No experience with typing long notes in shared notebooks,  but I'd suspect the optimum interval for checking potential conflicts is a pretty short one;  you'd rather catch any potential change before another editor has a chance to make it rather than 30 minutes in,  particularly if it doesn't otherwise affect the experience for either party..

Checking the service certainly shouldn't cause the client to freeze up. Could you send over a screenshot of it freezing up when it happens next (post here or PM me)? You can blur our any sensitive information.

I would just like to add my bit here: 

I found that working on a shared notebook was unexceptionably slow with the new check lock feature and had to stop sharing the notebook to be able to work with it.

I raised an issue at the time (Ticket# 517003) but have not had any response yet

(windows 7, satellite internet )

Archived