Last Update of Evernote 5.4 Windows crashes on startup

LazParis

Hello all,

I use Windows Desktop on Windows 7 and 2 step authentication.

Everything was working just fine until yesterday when I updated from the beta version to the last release.

First install was ok and worked all day without problems.

Only this morning when I opened the windows desktop, startup screen ok, window asking for the authentication code and then BAM! Fatal error!

Impossible to close or quit. After a few clicks on the cancel button, a new window asking for my password to be able to sync.

Not working: still crashing and fatal error.

I have to close the application with the Task Manager.

Then the only way is to uninstall and reinstall Evernote. Everything works fine until I disconnect and quit.

And then the whole process again.

Everyone with the same problemn? a solution?

Regards

Hi,

Your situation appears to be very similar with another post: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/59206-cannot-connect-to-evernote-windows-after-54-update/

The difference is that you faced the problem on Windows 7 and you have been able to access your evernote until you logout and attempt to login.  Since most user are login in evernote for 30 days they might not face this problem now.

You might want to follow up the other thread too.

Hopefully they will find a solution soon to this problem.

I've had the exact same experience, under WIN7.  I installed the update, was then asked to sign in, went though the normal process, including two-factor authentication, got a box requesting my password for synchronization -- and then the Fatal Error box appeared.  I tried to send their error report but I don't know if it ever made it.  Then, my system was frozen and refused to respond to Cancel, Send or any effort to get out of the error.  I had to kill Evernote with Task Manager.

I started a problem report last night and they've given me a ticket number and responded with a request for logs, which I've sent. 

Clearly, we all need some real support here.  I don't think E-Mail messages are going to cut it.

I've had the exact same experience, under WIN7.  I installed the update, was then asked to sign in, went though the normal process, including two-factor authentication, got a box requesting my password for synchronization -- and then the Fatal Error box appeared.  I tried to send their error report but I don't know if it ever made it.  Then, my system was frozen and refused to respond to Cancel, Send or any effort to get out of the error.  I had to kill Evernote with Task Manager.

I started a problem report last night and they've given me a ticket number and responded with a request for logs, which I've sent. 

Clearly, we all need some real support here.  I don't think E-Mail messages are going to cut it.

I'd prefer emailing my activity logs over dictating them over the phone ;)

(I posted this in the other similar discussion https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/59206-cannot-connect-to-evernote-windows-after-54-update/, but will also post here in case any of this data is helpful to creating a solution)

Desktop was working great on my windows 8.1 system. Today I installed the offered update, v.5.4.0.3698, and now it crashes the moment I open it. However, by opening it again and again, I was able to collect this data for the developers:

FYI, I don't have "double-authentication" - I get one sign-in box when my week of being logged in expires, I enter username & password, and I'm back in as always.

After installing the latest version, Evernote desktop (Windows 8.1) would open only to show an error window for a split second (so fast I had to chance to read it), then close the entire thing. I kept restarting it until I was able to grab a screen shot of the window, which conveniently caused it to freeze so I could read it! It actually created TWO of the same "Runtime Error" windows that said the exact same words:
"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime Error! Program C:\Program Files (x86) \Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

After I succeeded at reading them and transcribing them into (ironically) a new on-line note (on-line working fine), I closed one of the windows, which caused both boxes and the actual Evernote screen to close simultaneously.

Just out of curiosity, I attempted to open it again. THIS TIME a different pop up window, it said something different and the program didn't close until I "x-ed" out of it. It read:
"Fatal Error: Evernote.exe v.5.4.0.3698 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." 

Since then, when I open it, it begins to open but doesn't completely fill in it's own screen, pauses, and shuts down all within 2-3 seconds. 

I'd love to just roll back to the version right before this pathetic update - was working FINE. Guess I'll have to waste time browsing forums to learn how... SIGH  :wacko:

I know, "submit a ticket," which they will see on Monday & tell me to uninstall & reinstall, which according to my "friends" with the same problem the past few days, won't actually solve it. Can I just have a do-over and click NO to the update?? :blink:

You can roll back to a previous version using FileHippo.  I have something in MY database which causes instabilities in all the 5.x builds and I'm rolled back to a 4.6 version.  Doing over is easy.  Make sure you do a Revo Uninstall to get rid of all the detritus of your current Evernote installation (it cleans associated files and registry entries too) and then download the last good working version, and install/sync from that.

I think I had a similar problem.  The 'Evernote has crashed - please send feedback' dialog appeared, but every time I clicked on it it would reappear straight away.  I had to use Process Explorer to kill the entire Evernote process tree.  A uninstall/reinstall didn't work, so I tried deleting my database files so that the entire local database would rebuild from the EN servers.  This solved the problem, but took some time to recreate my 4 GB+ database!

Just to add to the noise, I've experienced a similar problem. Uninstalled and resinstalled as notes were not properly syncing. Now EN Evernote_5.4.0.3698 crashes on start up as described above. I'm currently installing the Beta...logging in seems to work...notes just syncing now...

• 2 weeks later...

Tried all the old versions and latest Beta 5.4.1.3741 and is still crashing...  I have uninstalled (using REVO) including leftover registry items.  Anymore progress on this matter??

Tried the following steps:

Thanks for contacting Evernote! My name is Nefre and I'll be more than happy to assist with your issue.
I'm sorry that you're having issues with our client. I believe that the following may assist you.
First:
- Select the Windows Explorer icon on the bottom left
- Once open, from the left navigation bar, select Computer
- Double click the C: Drive from the center body
- Double click the Users file
- Double click your user
- In the file path bar at the top type the following: \AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases
- Copy the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
Then:
Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link:
Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system (Run it in Advanced mode, and delete every item that is found for Evernote) and then Reboot your computer.
Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:
Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.
I'm attaching instructions with visuals to make it easier to follow.

Tried all the old versions and latest Beta 5.4.1.3741 and is still crashing...  I have uninstalled (using REVO) including leftover registry items.  Anymore progress on this matter??

Tried the following steps:

Thanks for contacting Evernote! My name is Nefre and I'll be more than happy to assist with your issue.
I'm sorry that you're having issues with our client. I believe that the following may assist you.
First:
- Select the Windows Explorer icon on the bottom left
- Once open, from the left navigation bar, select Computer
- Double click the C: Drive from the center body
- Double click the Users file
- Double click your user
- In the file path bar at the top type the following: \AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases
- Copy the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
Then:
Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link:
Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system (Run it in Advanced mode, and delete every item that is found for Evernote) and then Reboot your computer.
Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:
Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.
I'm attaching instructions with visuals to make it easier to follow.

I'm responding to my own fix.  I was able to access the EV Notebook via the web. A particular note that was a list- when trying to access it - was really slow.  When trying to print it (which only should have been 6 pages) it was 169 pages.  This note somehow was corrupted.  Deleting the note and then clearing out the local cached database (\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases) and resynced - everything is working

• 1 month later...

I suddenly lost over 4000 records from my Desktop client in mid-May, and none of my records from prior to mid-May had attachments. Since nearly all of my data consists of attachments, I effectively lost all of my data except what I had entered since mid-May of 2014. I had been using Evernote since 2007, and since a car hit me in 2011, causing a brain injury that took away all of my current event memory except for a short window that eventually completely fades within two weeks, Evernote has been my life-line to vicariously experiencing my own life through all of my captured notes, phone calls, and scanned snail-mail. Around the beginning of June I discovered I could go into the history of each note and restore a version prior to mid-May to recover my notes, and I did that with hundreds of notes, to the exclusion of any other activity (I know because of all of the notes and correspondence from that time.) The end of the first week of June, Tech support finally had me uninstall Evernote and install a version from last March. Then they had me delete a file from my data directory that forced Evernote to reindex every record. Back in March, I had purposely reverted the version of Evernote I had been using, because that March update slowed down my computer to the point that I could not do anything. I experienced the same slowness when I reinstalled that update in June. It took that old update six weeks to reindex the first 3000 of those 4000 records, and finally all Evernote activity ground to a halt. Worse, I could not get a response from tech support for nearly a week, and the automated messages I did get were in Russian. My simple question that I kept repeating in my tech support requests was "Evernote appears to be failing to run because it wants to update itself rather than continuing to reindex records." I finally got a reply from someone who assigned a new issue number, and seemed to have had no idea of what I had been experiencing. I replied asking to speak only to the specific tech support person who had previously helped me get the reindexing started. I don't remember what happened after that, and I don't have any more notes from then. My next note was a summary I had written for myself that said I finally allowed Evernote to update, and once it did, it started slowly reindexing a remaining 1500 records (a larger number than my previous notes said remained to be reindexed). It took three days to finish reindexing the remaining records. When it was done, My oldest records were back, but I would occasionally still find records with no attachments. I discovered that each of the records with missing attachments had duplicate records that did have attachments. I also discovered a pattern that allowed me to do a search that included only those records, unfortunately I did not record what that pattern was, so that's also forgotten. In the end, about ten days into July, I stopped finding records with missing attachments. I never want to go through that again.

Yesterday, I discovered I could not use Evernote at all, and the problem continues today. I have sent many reports to Evernote, and have not received any responses. I get a Microsoft C++ runtime error that says it cannot find Evernote.exe. I found a Microsoft page that offers to fix the problem, but first I need to know which version of the runtime Evernote uses. I was searching for that information when I encountered this forum thread.

(Disclaimer: It is tough trying to function as if I remember things that I only know because I read them in my notes. Fortunately, my memory for facts has not been affected by my brain injury. My neuro-psychologist says there is no such thing as "event memory," but rather the brain looses its ability to keep track of the sequence of events. Regardless, my memories before my accident are sharp and clear, as are my memories of information I have read, but I stopped experiencing life the way I used to experience it, as of my accident in 2011. Since I do have on-going memory problems, and since there is a tendency for the brain to make up false memories so it can "hook" onto something to assimulate new information, I'm never entirely sure that all of my details are entirely correct. I am confident, because of all of my notes, that the big-picture I'm reporting is correct, but some details may not be true.)

I suddenly lost over 4000 records from my Desktop client in mid-May, and none of my records from prior to mid-May had attachments. Since nearly all of my data consists of attachments, I effectively lost all of my data except what I had entered since mid-May of 2014. I had been using Evernote since 2007, and since a car hit me in 2011, causing a brain injury that took away all of my current event memory except for a short window that eventually completely fades within two weeks, Evernote has been my life-line to vicariously experiencing my own life through all of my captured notes, phone calls, and scanned snail-mail. Around the beginning of June I discovered I could go into the history of each note and restore a version prior to mid-May to recover my notes, and I did that with hundreds of notes, to the exclusion of any other activity (I know because of all of the notes and correspondence from that time.) The end of the first week of June, Tech support finally had me uninstall Evernote and install a version from last March. Then they had me delete a file from my data directory that forced Evernote to reindex every record. Back in March, I had purposely reverted the version of Evernote I had been using, because that March update slowed down my computer to the point that I could not do anything. I experienced the same slowness when I reinstalled that update in June. It took that old update six weeks to reindex the first 3000 of those 4000 records, and finally all Evernote activity ground to a halt. Worse, I could not get a response from tech support for nearly a week, and the automated messages I did get were in Russian. My simple question that I kept repeating in my tech support requests was "Evernote appears to be failing to run because it wants to update itself rather than continuing to reindex records." I finally got a reply from someone who assigned a new issue number, and seemed to have had no idea of what I had been experiencing. I replied asking to speak only to the specific tech support person who had previously helped me get the reindexing started. I don't remember what happened after that, and I don't have any more notes from then. My next note was a summary I had written for myself that said I finally allowed Evernote to update, and once it did, it started slowly reindexing a remaining 1500 records (a larger number than my previous notes said remained to be reindexed). It took three days to finish reindexing the remaining records. When it was done, My oldest records were back, but I would occasionally still find records with no attachments. I discovered that each of the records with missing attachments had duplicate records that did have attachments. I also discovered a pattern that allowed me to do a search that included only those records, unfortunately I did not record what that pattern was, so that's also forgotten. In the end, about ten days into July, I stopped finding records with missing attachments. I never want to go through that again.

Yesterday, I discovered I could not use Evernote at all, and the problem continues today. I have sent many reports to Evernote, and have not received any responses. I get a Microsoft C++ runtime error that says it cannot find Evernote.exe. I found a Microsoft page that offers to fix the problem, but first I need to know which version of the runtime Evernote uses. I was searching for that information when I encountered this forum thread.

(Disclaimer: It is tough trying to function as if I remember things that I only know because I read them in my notes. Fortunately, my memory for facts has not been affected by my brain injury. My neuro-psychologist says there is no such thing as "event memory," but rather the brain looses its ability to keep track of the sequence of events. Regardless, my memories before my accident are sharp and clear, as are my memories of information I have read, but I stopped experiencing life the way I used to experience it, as of my accident in 2011. Since I do have on-going memory problems, and since there is a tendency for the brain to make up false memories so it can "hook" onto something to assimulate new information, I'm never entirely sure that all of my details are entirely correct. I am confident, because of all of my notes, that the big-picture I'm reporting is correct, but some details may not be true.)

It seems like you're not actually getting a ticket filed in our support system. You should get an email confirmation with a ticket number once it is filed. I'm sure one of the support folks can help out with that

• Level 5*

I suddenly lost over 4000 records from my Desktop client in mid-May, and none of my records from prior to mid-May had attachments. Since nearly all of my data consists of attachments,

If you are using Evernote primarily as a place to store your attachments in the Cloud, then you might consider another system like DropBox.  DropBox is a much better file management system, and, given the recent issues with Evernote Syncing, currently a more reliable Cloud storage system that syncs across multiple devices.

Dropbox also has a great system for restoring deleted/changed files.

Finally, as I'm sure you are now painfully aware, you should always backup your critical data locally.

• 3 months later...

Some say here "submit a support ticket..." I just want to say I have submitted two support tickets and Evernote does not even do me the favor of responding to them. Nada. Zip. Nothing.  I am a premium user and have used Evernote for years.  I got a new notebook from HP 2 1/2 months ago with Windows 8.1 and 8 gigs of Ram with a Terrabyte hard drive.  Did a clean install of Evernote and Bam! Fatal Error and crashes immediately.  I have uninstalled Revo and done every other little hint offered up here multiple times to no avail.  I was told by one Evernote tech they have a bug and to be patient while they work on it.  That was two months ago.  I have since searched the web and seen multiple users with the exact problem I have going back over a year.  I would leave Evernote but I can't get my 8 gigs of data off their server to take with me.  I can see my data fine on my ipad but you cannot export it from there.  I am disappointed.

• Level 5*

Some say here "submit a support ticket..." I just want to say I have submitted two support tickets and Evernote does not even do me the favor of responding to them. Nada. Zip. Nothing.  I am a premium user and have used Evernote for years.  I got a new notebook from HP 2 1/2 months ago with Windows 8.1 and 8 gigs of Ram with a Terrabyte hard drive.  Did a clean install of Evernote and Bam! Fatal Error and crashes immediately.  I have uninstalled Revo and done every other little hint offered up here multiple times to no avail.  I was told by one Evernote tech they have a bug and to be patient while they work on it.  That was two months ago. 

There is no doubt that Evernote Support is sub-par.  

Having said that, I have always received a response from a real person to all of my support tickets.  

Most of them have been satisfactory, even if I had to reply several times to clarify the issue.

You should get an auto-response with the hour when you submit a ticket.  If you don't then that means there is something wrong with your email address.  Obviously, check your spam folder.

I am curious about one thing.  At the top of your post you state " I have submitted two support tickets and Evernote does not even do me the favor of responding to them."  Then, later, you say " I was told by one Evernote tech they have a bug and to be patient while they work on it.".

So it appears that you have received a response from Evernote, correct?

Since you are a Premium account owner, then you can contact Support via Chat.  I find this is the fastest way to get things started, and to follow-up if things are taking too long to resolve.

If you can't make the current version of Evernote to work, you can install previous versions.  You might even as this in your Chat session.  You can google "evernote versions" to find sites that have previous versions.

See Evernote Chat Support., available 9am-4pm US PST. (Chat option appears AFTER you click “Continue” on initial “Evernote Support” page.)

I have the same problem. New laptop, Win 8.1, multiple crashes on launching evernote whilst trying to download notes. Deleting partially downloaded database etc doesn't work. EN support suggests waiting for the next version (that was a few months ago and a couple of versions ago).

I've tried a number of earlier versions of evernote via filehippo. While they don't crash, the downloading of the original database is so slow as to be unusable. I never managed to download the whole of my database with the non crashing versions. 

• Level 5*

I just did a fresh install of Evernote's latest (5.7.1.5586) on a machine that's running the Windows 10 preview. The install went fine, and my database downloaded without a hitch. Not sure what your problem is; did you have any indications in the activity log?

To clarify the reply I got yesterday from Explorer:

I have always received an automated reply from support after submitting a ticket.  Yes, I have checked my Spam folder to be sure they never got back.

When I first got my new computer and it crashed immediately I contacted support.  Got an automated response. Then heard from a Tech guy.  He told me they had a problem and couldn't help me.  Told me to wait for future versions.

I have done so.  I have done clean installs on the next three versions.  I sent new support requests in for help two more times.  On each I got an automated response from Evernote and then subsequently never heard from them on either ticket.  This morning I saw a new release to download and so I downloaded and installed it.  Started the first sync and within 30 seconds or so I got a fatal error and it crashed out.  This is version 5.7.1.5586. It amazes me that a program that has been around as long as evernote cannot release a version that runs on Windows. I will try the chat option and see what happens.

• Level 5*

Obviously, Evernote runs on Windows -- I myself have it running on separate machines. You evidently have something special about your system that's causing a problem. When you say that you did a clean install, did you do a full uninstall? Some folks have used Revo uninstaller to do that; I myself would probably just rename any Evernote directories I could find, and probably the main Evernote registry key, and then do an install.

I've heard good things about chat as well, so yes, you should try that.

What was the text of the message that you got from the Tech guy? If you post the ticket number, maybe we can get this escalated.

• Level 5*

I have the same problem. New laptop, Win 8.1, multiple crashes on launching evernote whilst trying to download notes. Deleting partially downloaded database etc doesn't work. EN support suggests waiting for the next version (that was a few months ago and a couple of versions ago).

It is disturbing that Evernote won't install properly on a NEW machine.

Is there anything unusual about your new laptop?  Any unusual apps or system extensions/add-on?

What about anti-virus system?  Have you tried turning it off to install Evernote?

Archived