Evernote In-App Renewal on iPad fails, Card Charged $45

Hi,

I have been using Evernote for more than three years and a Premium user for one year.

When renewing my subscription from within Evernote on iPad, my iTunes registered credit card was charged US$45, but the Evernote app and website does not show my Premium account. All premium features are still disabled and I cannot access many of my notes, when mobile. The subscription is shown as active in the Apple App Store, but not within my Evernote account.

I contacted support with an urgent request for correction, but nothing happened in more than two days.

Christian

See screen shots:

post-146969-0-25307800-1400220776_thumb.

post-146969-0-60083800-1400220775_thumb.

post-146969-0-11880200-1400220774_thumb.

• Level 5*

Did you receive a ticket number from support? If so, stick it in here and one of us will flag it for an Evernote employee.

If you didn't receive a ticket number then I don't think your request went through and you should try and open another one.

Thanks, I hope to hear from Evernote Support soon. In the meantime I also filed a complaint to Apple via the 'Report a Problem' link in the emailed receipt.

What is the expected response time from Evernote support? I'm already at my 60 MB sync limit!

It seems I'm not the only one getting NO TIMELY SUPPORT, even after paying for a subscription:

For weeks I have been trying to speak to someone at Evernote.

They screwed up my accpout and dropped me to FREE. I have paid for buisiness, downgraded, then paid for Premium 3 Times!!!

My account still says FREE even after paying. I cannot contact support because my account STILL SAYS FREE and you don't get technical support if your account is FREE. So I an unable to contact chat support or ANYONE there for help for a legitamate PAID client.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58170-evernote-support-sucks-more-than-any-other-company/

Typically even free users can get pretty speedy responses, under 48 hours (Weekdays only). Sometimes glitches occur. If you didn't receive a ticket # a few minutes after submitting your request, you should re-submit. Sometimes there is a significant up-tick in support requests so a response might take a bit longer, particularly for free users who are at the bottom of the priority list. Even then though it should be days not weeks. 

Since your post and ticket# have been flagged for staff attention, you should get a fairly prompt response. 

Typically even free users can get pretty speedy responses, under 48 hours (Weekdays only). Sometimes glitches occur. ... Even then though it should be days not weeks. 

Since your post and ticket# have been flagged for staff attention, you should get a fairly prompt response. 

The thing is, I have been a Premium user for a year, I paid for another year and the new subscription is even shown in iTunes, but customer service *treats me like a free user*, just because their faulty system failed to update the subscription on their side. 'Premium support promises a reply within one business day, Pacific time', but apparently my ticket was never forwarded to Premium support. Thus now its weekend and it will take another few days to sort this out.

I am unable to contact chat support or ANYONE there for help for a legitimate PAID client.

Just like the user above, this is a problem of a failed priority system at Evernote support.

There should be a way for a user who has paid to get priority support via phone or chat. If they want to verify, that I qualify for priority support, I can tell them my receipt number from iTunes.

Users who have paid DO get priority support with the chat support. However, that is predicated on Evernote knowing that you paid. If your payment was processed through a third-party like iTunes or Google Play, gets bungled, and never makes it to Evernote, then they don't know that you've paid. 

This is the unfortunate thing about getting support when a premium upgrade/renewal fails, your stuck at the low priority tier, even though you should be at premium priority. Posting here, with your ticket number, so we can flag it as you have done, is one way we can try to get things going at least a bit faster for you. 

It is worth noting, I have seen a few failures for upgrades/renewals when going through a third party, but I have seen probably close to zero failures for upgrades or renewals purchased directly through Evernote. If at all possible, upgrading directly through Evernote may be favourable. Fewer links in the chain makes things a bit smoother I suppose. 

Users who have paid DO get priority support with the chat support. However, that is predicated on Evernote knowing that you paid.

It is worth noting, I have seen a few failures for upgrades/renewals when going through a third party, but I have seen probably close to zero failures for upgrades or renewals purchased directly through Evernote. If at all possible, upgrading directly through Evernote may be favourable. Fewer links in the chain makes things a bit smoother I suppose. 

Evernote now knows that I PAID (you said, that you flagged it for me and I PM'd Evernote staff gbarry), I have PROOF of payment, but I am getting NO service. After more than 4 days I am still stuck with this. As a last resort I may have to reverse the charges on my credit card as Evernote is failing to provide the service that I paid for and is making no effort to fix it.

My choice of payment system should not effect the reliability of getting Evernote service. If this is a known issue with 3rd parties like the App Store, then it is up to Evernote to MAKE SURE that their paying customers can get a real human being on the other end to fix any problems that may arise between Apples' and Evernotes system.

This does sound really frustrating. As a premium user I know I'd be annoyed not to have the features I paid for, and furthermore, I'd be unhappy having my money sitting in internet limbo. 

As far as I have observed, there is no known issue with payments through the iTunes or Play stores, and it is not clear whether this or similar issues is on Apple, Google, or Evernote's ends. Quite likely, the rare instances where this does occur are all probably caused by different problems that just look the same on the user end of things. 

I assure you that this will get sorted out, though it seems to be taking longer for some reason than past similar cases.

Users who have paid DO get priority support with the chat support. However, that is predicated on Evernote knowing that you paid.

Evernote now knows that I PAID (you said, that you flagged it for me and I PM'd Evernote staff gbarry), I have PROOF of payment, but I am getting NO service. After more than 4 days I am still stuck with this. As a last resort I may have to reverse the charges on my credit card as Evernote is failing to provide the service that I paid for and is making no effort to fix it.

My choice of payment system should not effect the reliability of getting Evernote service. If this is a known issue with 3rd parties like the App Store, then it is up to Evernote to MAKE SURE that their paying customers can get a real human being on the other end to fix any problems that may arise between Apples' and Evernotes system.

From what I can see, you started this thread late Thursday night of last week.  A couple of hours later, Metrodon flagged it.  Then there is the weekend.  As Scott said, I'm sure it's frustrating but you also have to realize the real life limitations and if EN doesn't recognize you as premium, you are no longer guaranteed a reply within one business day.  Then there was the weekend.  Quite often, it's not financially feasible to have 24/7 manned phone support.  Evernote is not the only company to not provide this.  And yeah, IME, most (all?) the complaints about paying for premium & not getting it are when someone goes through iTunes.  I don't know why but it's out of EN's control if Apple takes your money but has a breakdown or delay WRT notifying EN (or any other iTunes vendor) that the customer paid.

The fact that it has been flagged & that you PM'd Geoff does not mean that EN knows this information immediately.  It does take some time for Geoff (or any other EN staff who gets the notification) to filter through the emails, then contact the powers that can make the change happen,  With 100 million users, the fact that you PM'd Geoff doesn't mean he's going to actually read that email within five minutes is very slim and that's even assuming his only job is to read emails from customers, which it is not.

Good luck.

Sorry for the delay here Chris and thanks for the support everyone above has provided--grabbed the ticket and you should now be taken care of, thanks so much for immediately providing the receipts. I've also replied via PM.

Apologies on the experience with your upgrade--the iTunes Premium upgrade bug is something that we've been as of yet unable to resolve, and while we do have filters in our support system to catch this kind of payment issue, it unfortunately didn't work this time. Happy that we have you sorted however, and thanks for reaching out.

IME, most (all?) the complaints about paying for premium & not getting it are when someone goes through iTunes. I don't know why but it's out of EN's control if Apple takes your money but has a breakdown or delay WRT notifying EN (or any other iTunes vendor) that the customer paid.

As far as I have observed, there is no known issue with payments through the iTunes or Play stores, and it is not clear whether this or similar issues is on Apple, Google, or Evernote's ends.

So, there sometimes are issues, but not one specific issue which is easy to trace as to its source... Well, technically, the transaction was successful on the App Store, but was not registered on the side of Evernote, as the subscription was not actually renewed. This should not even be possible, if the whole system is set up as a transactional system between the two vendors ('Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, Durability is a set of properties that guarantee that database transactions are processed reliably'). Meaning the App Store should wait for a confirmation token from Evernote, before charging the credit card.

Well thankfully gbarry just fixed it and Evernote is working again :D

Sorry for the delay here Chris and thanks for the support everyone above has provided--grabbed the ticket and you should now be taken care of, thanks so much for immediately providing the receipts. I've also replied via PM.

Apologies on the experience with your upgrade--the iTunes Premium upgrade bug is something that we've been as of yet unable to resolve, and while we do have filters in our support system to catch this kind of payment issue, it unfortunately didn't work this time. Happy that we have you sorted however, and thanks for reaching out.

Thank you!

Honestly I don't know how the App Store deals with subscription transactions so I'm just kind of guessing, but it does look like there are periodic communication breakdowns. 

Nevertheless, I'm really glad you got it sorted out!

technically, the transaction was successful on the App Store, but was not registered on the side of Evernote, as the subscription was not actually renewed. This should not even be possible,

Yes, in a perfect world. I don't know about yours, but while my world is pretty good, it's rarely perfect.

Well thankfully gbarry just fixed it and Evernote is working again :D

Glad to hear it.

• 3 years later...

Three years on this is happening to me - money taken through Apple subscription but not registered by Evernote - I've been downgraded to basic and no reply to my contacts ...... Having just found this with advice to tweet, I've just done that and am hoping for a speedy resolution. V annoying, use Evernote most days and this is wasting my time.....

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Edx said:

Three years on this is happening to me - money taken through Apple subscription but not registered by Evernote - I've been downgraded to basic and no reply to my contacts ...... Having just found this with advice to tweet, I've just done that and am hoping for a speedy resolution. V annoying, use Evernote most days and this is wasting my time.....

I flagged your post for admin to look at.  You might get faster response if you post in the Payments forum, also if you can flag down @Ellen G

23 hours ago, DTLow said:

I flagged your post for admin to look at.  You might get faster response if you post in the Payments forum, also if you can flag down @Ellen G

2 hours ago, Edx said:

Thanks, I posted on Twitter too so hopefully will be able to get someone to sort it. Thanks for your help Ed

Thanks for flagging! I'm on it! look for an email from me shortly @Edx !

Archived