Prioritizing the cloud version over the local version in sync

jbushnell1

Idea

I am in desperate need of help.  I have around 10,000 notes in Evernote, most of them in a stack called "Index."  Within Index there are maybe 50 different sub-notebooks.  I accidentally selected all and directed Evernote to move them all into a single notebook, hopelessly scrambling years' worth of organization.

I quickly disconnected my local computer from the Internet to prevent a disastrous sync.  So consequently the local version is hopelessly scrambled, but the cloud version is still OK-- all the notes in their proper notebooks, etc.  However, I know that generally when syncing, Evernote prioritizes the local version and uses it to overwrite the cloud version-- especially since that reflects the most recent changes.  So I'm terrified to sync-- the first time I sync, it'll move the Web version of those notes out of the proper folder, and then all the versions will be equally ruined.

It seems like there must be a way to tell Evernote "hey, the Web version is the RIGHT version, and the local version is the WRONG version"-- "overwrite the local version, not the other way around."  But I don't know how to do that, and hunting around in the forums for the last half an hour or so doesn't seem to be turning anything up.

Please help. I can't sort all 10,000 of those notes by hand.

JBushnell 

14 replies to this idea

You should be able to just close Evernote, delete your local database (or play it safe, relocate it to a temp location until you verified the re download was a success). Open Evernote, and it should suck your database down from the servers since it won't have any local data.

If you have any local notebooks that you don't sync,you'll want to back those up first so you can load them back in when your local database has repopulated from the server.

• Level 5*

JBushnell, excellent move by " quickly disconnected my local computer from the Internet to prevent a disastrous sync"

So, IF, and the opertive word is IF, you did NOT sync these changes to the Evernote cloud, then ALL you data PRIOR to your intervertent change is still OK in the EN Cloud.

Here is what I would do:

1. Go to Evernote.com, and confirm that ALL your Notes are in the original, proper Notebook.
  2. IF so, then setup Evernote App on a different computer, and sync (download) all your Notes in the correct NB.
  3. Disconnect this 2nd computer from the Internet
  4. Delete the Evernote App and all your Notes from your original computer.
  5. Reboot your original computer
  6. Reinstall Evernote to your original computer, and let it sync all your Notes (which should STILL be in their correct/original NB)
  7. Be warned -- it make take quite a while to download your 10K Notes.

Review this carefully, and make sure you completely understand these steps.  Any questions, post here BEFORE executing this procedure.

They're all synced notebooks, so that's good at least.  I just want to be sure I delete (or relocate) the right file or set of files.  Are we talking (on a Mac) everything in Library/Application Support/Evernote/ or can I go further down the filepath?  Library/Application Support/Evernote/Accounts/Evernote/Jbushnell1/content/ ... where do I stop? :)

Thanks for the seven-step suggestion, JMichael.  Looking at the Web version (Step 1) it appears that everything there is fine-- looks good on my iOS7 phone, too. May I ask what the function of Steps 2 & 3 are in this sequence?   

• Level 5*

They're all synced notebooks, so that's good at least.  I just want to be sure I delete (or relocate) the right file or set of files.  Are we talking (on a Mac) everything in Library/Application Support/Evernote/ or can I go further down the filepath?  Library/Application Support/Evernote/Accounts/Evernote/Jbushnell1/content/ ... where do I stop? :)

To be safe, COPY everything in the Library/Application Support/Evernote/ folder (and below) to another location.

Then, and ONLY THEN, you can Move to Trash the Evernote folder.

I think you could relocate/delete the contents directory. It may mean you need to re-log-in and readjust some preferences though once your back up and running.

There isn't anything else in ./accounts besides the jbushnell1 directory right? If that's the only directory, then it think contents is the way to go.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the seven-step suggestion, JMichael.  Looking at the Web version (Step 1) it appears that everything there is fine-- looks good on my iOS7 phone, too. May I ask what the function of Steps 2 & 3 are in this sequence?   

The purpose of Steps 2 & 3 is to MAKE SURE you have a complete copy of your Evernote account BEFORE you delete anything on your original computer.  Not required, but HIGHLY recommended.

JMichael: I have a reasonably complete copy of my Evernote account on my office computer.  I haven't been in there for a week or so but if I had to go back to that version it would pretty much be fine.  

With regard to getting local Evernote fully deleted--I pulled this from a different thread but am posting it here for the sake of completeness: 

To remove all Evernote software and data from your computer:

From the Evernote icon in the Menu Bar, select Quit
Drag the Evernote application from the "Applications" folder to the Trash on your Mac
If you added Evernote to the Dock on your Mac, then Control-click on the dock icon to remove it from the dock

Open your "home" directory on your Mac in the Finder
Go into: Library / Application Support
Drag the "Evernote" folder there into the Trash

Go back to the "home" directory in the Finder
Go into: Library / Caches / Metadata
If you see a folder there named "com.evernote.Evernote", drag it to the Trash

Reboot your Mac
Empty the Trash on your Mac

• Level 5

With regard to getting local Evernote fully deleted--I pulled this from a different thread but am posting it here for the sake of completeness: 

Good luck with your restore.

I'd add one additional step for the people reading this procedure.

• Maintain a set of backups. 

The cloud and sync process is not always perfect.

With my multiple backups, I have an additional restore solution.

• Level 5

I have 30,000 notes, so I am extra careful in protecting my Evernote content.

One additional comment on backing up - run a backup before any Evernote upgrade.

Archived