Why is evernote age restricted? UGH!

No need to cross post three times.

As I replied to your other post, any application with a web browser has to be rated 17+ as per Apple's developer guidelines for the App Store. Theoretically the web browser could allow a user to view adult content. The same applies to 1Password, which is a password manager that has a browser component not unlike Evernote, and Google chrome, a web browser.

Apple will likely reject any app with a web browser if the developer submits it with a lower age rating. This is an apple problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a teacher in charge of our school's 1-to-1 iPad scheme. This update has effectively removed Evernote from over 1000 of our students devices. We rely on Evernote heavily in our workflows, and this change is disastrous for us.

It is not simply a matter of changing our age restrictions up to 17+, as some posters have suggested on similar threads. Our students are aged 11-16.

I don't need browser functionality in Evernote. I have a browser already. If you wanted to add a web-search feature, why couldn't you have done so in a linked app, like you do with Skitch or Penultimate or Peek? We could the choose to add that functionality or not.

This update has crashed the mothership.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure what happened, and hopefully we'll hear from support about it, but it sounds like Evernote may have adjusted something to meet new Apple guidelines. I don't know anything about that. The browser stuff has always been there. Whatever changed was probably not meant to impact schools and I expect there will be some kind of fix.

In the meantime, you may want to use the Puffin browser on iOS devices. It allows you to login and use Evernote on the Web. Unfortunately, Safari and Evernote have never gotten along very well.

Archived