NOTIFICATION of a conflict - Add a comment if you want this feature

I see discussions about update conflicts are still going on - what they are, what causes them, how to avoid them...

Here's what I would like, at a MINIMUM: a NOTIFICATION of a conflict when it happens, on whatever platform detects or causes it. And, if possible, when any other platform gets a first sync OF a prior confict.

With mobile devices which are NOT always connected - airplane mode, etc - you can get a conflict by doing an update on the phone while offline, and then, doing an update to the same note on, say, your desktop or laptop PC, before the phone syncs. At some point down the line, when everything does sync, Evernote will create a new note with the title prefix of "Note Confict." (Actually, I don't know that this is the standard way of handling this - it may depend on what platform detects the confict.) Anyway - I think this is particulalry bad because the note does not even alpha-sort near the note where you lost the data. At the very least, the prefix on the title should be a suffix instead. But what the MINIMUM solution should be is a pop-up notification saying "we had a confict."

So - if you agree Evernote needs to do SOMETHING about conficts, please add a comment to this thread, and maybe Evernote will get the message.

Dan Kronstadt

I see discussions about update conflicts are still going on - what they are, what causes them, how to avoid them...

Here's what I would like, at a MINIMUM: a NOTIFICATION of a conflict when it happens, on whatever platform detects or causes it. And, if possible, when any other platform gets a first sync OF a prior confict.

With mobile devices which are NOT always connected - airplane mode, etc - you can get a conflict by doing an update on the phone while offline, and then, doing an update to the same note on, say, your desktop or laptop PC, before the phone syncs. At some point down the line, when everything does sync, Evernote will create a new note with the title prefix of "Note Confict." (Actually, I don't know that this is the standard way of handling this - it may depend on what platform detects the confict.) Anyway - I think this is particulalry bad because the note does not even alpha-sort near the note where you lost the data. At the very least, the prefix on the title should be a suffix instead. But what the MINIMUM solution should be is a pop-up notification saying "we had a confict."

So - if you agree Evernote needs to do SOMETHING about conficts, please add a comment to this thread, and maybe Evernote will get the message.

Dan Kronstadt

Honestly, Evernote does read the posts on the board. They get the message. What you aren't getting is that it's apparently not high on their priority list. I don't know why but I doubt it's just to peeve off users. Or maybe they're working on it & will roll it out tomorrow. No way for us to know. And starting a new thread on an already discussed topic does not bump it up. In fact, it stands a good chance of being merged into existing threads on the topic.

Peace out.

• Level 5*

...and in the latest beta version of the Android app there's already note locking - if the system thinks someone else is editing a note it will warn you when you try to open it;  if you're sure that the warning is a false positive you can push on through and continue to edit.  Evernote have said that they're dealing with conflict problems and will improve handling on all clients.  So they appear to have something in hand already.

Archived