Organize Note in a Custom Sort Order

I have a notebook full of notes that I want to sequence for writing a short book.  Is there any way to give them a custom sort, beyond the pre-set sorting in the program?  And is there any writing tool (software) that I can use alongside Evernote for this purpose?

• Level 5*

Nope, not really. You can simulate it by using special note titles and sorting by Title, but that's a bit awkward. Other idea: you can make a master note and keep in it a list of note links that point to your book notes; the list can be ordered any way you choose. For third-party tools that integrate with Evernote, you should check the Evernote Market.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The rigidity of Notebooks/notes and their inability to be made to behave is what makes me give up on using Evernote as more than just a handy memory or sharing tool.

If I could sort more effecivley or even have a custom order and (god forbid) add a little more hierarchy when needed it would make Evernote as important to me as Lightoom and Photoshop.

Right now it's about as important to me as a spare gmail account.|

Edit: if someone out there has suggestions for how to make Evernote work better for me I'm all ears

• 1 year later...

I am somewhat of a power user - and i find this lack of 'custom' sorting capability very very draining on my productivity, and am just so perplexed as to why this cannot be implemented - even of just for a premium level feature.   Not only is having custom (saved) sorts useful for notebooks, but for Tags too.  Also - even if we couldn't have a custom sort for each notebook or tag - how about just a quick custom-toolbar link to "sort-updated-reverse" "sort-title"  ....  how hard can that be?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, cornell2 said:

how about just a quick custom-toolbar link to "sort-updated-reverse" "sort-title"

I use the top list view which shows the metadata in columns.  
This allows quick changes to sort parameters.

56e0807663fc5_ScreenShot2016-03-09at11.5

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, cornell2 said:

. . . i find this lack of 'custom' sorting capability very very draining on my productivity, and am just so perplexed as to why this cannot be implemented - even of just for a premium level feature.   Not only is having custom (saved) sorts useful for notebooks, but for Tags too.  Also - even if we couldn't have a custom sort for each notebook or tag - how about just a quick custom-toolbar link to "sort-updated-reverse" "sort-title"  ....  how hard can that be?

I agree it would be most useful to have custom sorts, to have a sort order be part of a saved search definition.
It is appalling that, and hard to understand why, Evernote does not have this type of sort facility, given that sorting has been a part of SQL (the most common database query language) for decades, virtually from the beginning.  Since Evernote makes use of an SQL database internally, it should be easy to pass on the sort feature to their users.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree it would be most useful to have custom sorts, to have a sort order be part of a saved search definition.
It is appalling that, and hard to understand why, Evernote does not have this type of sort facility, given that sorting has been a part of SQL (the most common database query language) for decades, virtually from the beginning.  Since Evernote makes use of an SQL database internally, it should be easy to pass on the sort feature to their users.

Appalling?  A might dramatic don't you think?

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, csihilling said:

No I don't think, or I would not have posted it.

Feel free to not be appalled, but don't try to control my view.

But why get hung up on one word, and divert the discussion?  If you have a different view, then just post it.  I don't mind if you disagree with my view.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Now don't try to control my view....

I'm not, not at all.  In fact I just posted above:

1 hour ago, JMichaelTX said:

If you have a different view, then just post it.

But I'm not sure that anyone cares about your opinion of my use of "appalling".  Really, this is what you want to waste your time discussing?

• Level 5*

@csihilling, starting with your first off-topic comment about "drama", we have now generated a total of 8 (counting this one) off-topic posts that no one cares about, but will serve to distract most readers, many who would not bother reading past the first one or two.  I apologize to all readers for my part in this.  I should have just ignored his first post.  I just hope Cal, that in the future you can see fit to comment on content rather than style.  If you don't like my style, just PM me, and save the readers from the noise.

Can we now get back to the topic of this thread, or will your obsession with having the last say generate yet one more off-topic post?
If so, I'll let you have it.  This whole side trail has been really boring.  :(

On 3/9/2016 at 0:59 PM, DTLow said:

I use the top list view which shows the metadata in columns.  
This allows quick changes to sort parameters.

56e0807663fc5_ScreenShot2016-03-09at11.5

Actually - This does not help - since I mostly need the sorting capability on my iPad version of evernote (which has even less capability than the desktop version)

I will also add, that I use the web version too (on my chromebook) which does not have this sorting ability either.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, cornell2 said:

Actually - This does not help - since I mostly need the sorting capability on my iPad version of evernote (which has even less capability than the desktop version)

For the iPad, I think your only choice would be to
- Add a custom prefix (example 0010, 0020, 0030) 

Theres only two sections that allow for custom sort order; Reminders and Shortcuts

iPad DOES allow you to sort  - it's just Manual (ie I have to choose the sort order - and it is the same for all notebooks until i change it again).  But the request here is for Custom sort-order for each notebook (or tag).   Some of my notebooks or tags are more appropriate to view in reverse chronological order... and others in alphabetical order.  I often switch between them and it is a pain to have to keep on clicking (3-5 clicks and scrolling each time)

On 3/10/2016 at 8:45 AM, csihilling said:

FWIW, I think it is appalling. Like many other software products that I've loved over a long period, Evernote seems to have embarked on the "going backwards" phase. They seem to devote a lot of time and energy to introducing features that no one appears to ask for, while getting wrong the really useful, simple stuff that users actually want. Depressing.

• Level 5*

I'm appalled and depressed to have somehow missed this thread so far - not.  Anyone here heard of CardDesk?

"CardDesk is a web application that extends the functionality of Evernote to give you a visual organiser for your notes. With CardDesk your Evernote notes become "index cards" that can be layed out and arranged on any number of virtual desktops."

It didn't exist when this thread started,  but it's a great way to use notes like post-its to sort out ideas...

Mind Mapping is another option - most mind map apps will output a note-attachable JPG file,  and can embed the URL's of individual notes so again you can randomly sort note titles and access the individual contents.

And Workflowy will do the same job.  Bullet point the note titles and links and include the contents as body text.  Sort and shuffle as required.

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

What does CardDesk have to do with sorting notes in Evernote (the subject of this thread)?  I also noticed it is still a beta product.

Like @gazumped said, you can arrange/ sort Evernote notes any which way you want on any number of virtual boards. "Sort" was mentioned 3 times. There were other key words such as "shuffle" and "Mind Mapping"... Stretch your imagination a little... or at least roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. What has beta got to do with sorting (the subject of the thread)?

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to be able to sort / switch between sorts more easily, and I've upvoted your thread. The following would be handy:

• Keyboard shortcuts assigned to particular commonly used sorts - e.g. to "Title, forward" and to "Updated, reverse", so that it is just a quick keystroke combination to toggle between, instead of 6 or 7 clicks
  • Ability to assign user's own keyboard shortcuts to sorts
  • On opening evernote, it would remember and use the last sort from the previous session.
  • Sort being on a "by folder" basis, so that two folders can be sorted on in different ways at the same time
  • The above point, but at the same time, having the option to sort "all folders" with the same sort - i.e. this would be an option, not the default.

OK, that would be my wishlist!

best

helenzie

Archived