vilby

ios Business Cards to EN contacts?

Idea

I have been taking pictures of business cards and putting them into Evernote for quite a while now. I just found the ability to have Evernote take a picture, create a contact note, and OCR it into (what it thinks are the) correct fields. Great!

Now, is there any way to take the 100+ notes with pictures of cards and turn them into contact notes? I guess I could print them out and then take pictures of the printed cards, but I was hoping for something greener. Any suggestions?

9 replies to this idea

I started taking pictures of business cards before Evernote Hello came out, which left me with a Notebook of business card images as well.

What I did was title each note with the persons name or business name from the card, by:  Last Name, First Name or Business Name.

Sort them by Title, then Merge the notes into one Note.  

I keep the original "Titled Notes" in a separate Notebook, so when I add a new business card contact to it, I simply repeat the process. I am undecided in keeping them in separate Notes or a Merged Note.

Is this what you are talking about?

To Follow Up:

Well, I now realize that is not what you meant.  But I what I suggested may be a workaround.

• Like 1

Whatever process works..  I was suggesting that rather than print out your card information you simply have it on screen and take a picture with the app - if it'll work with business cards,  it might work with your screen display;  as an option you could just clip that selected information into separate notes to add to your contacts manually.  Maybe.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I just tried putting a stack of business cards through the Evernote ScanSnap scanner.  Some of them worked really well; the EN "Contact Notes" were automatically created with the convenient data fields for name, business, etc.

But many of them only scanned into a picture.  I played with these same cards and Evernote Hello on my phone but it still wouldn't create these "Contact Notes".

And I am completely stumped on manually creating a "Contact Note". 

The business cards that scan as a picture won't even allow me to add text or edit them in anyway.  EN tells me that they were created with a different program and I'll have to use that to edit them (they were most definitely created with EN software and EN hardware). 

Questions:

1) Is there a way to manually create a "Contact Note" with all of the nicely titled data entry areas?

2) Maybe there is a way to modify an existing picture into a Contact Note?

If anyone from EN is reading this, I have a healthy stack of business cards I can send if anyone wants a practice set to work on the card recognition algorithms. 

Many thanks!

I've seen a tip (apologies to the originator,  I lost the note!) that if you photograph a blank card against a contrasting background you'll get the option to manually add details.  Haven't tried this personally,  but it may help.  As to scan fails - I suggest a support ticket (see below).  The scanner is supposed to be pretty foolproof.  If it ain't working you either have an unusual problem or you may be doing something wrong...

• Like 1

I've seen a tip (apologies to the originator,  I lost the note!) that if you photograph a blank card against a contrasting background you'll get the option to manually add details.  Haven't tried this personally,  but it may help.  As to scan fails - I suggest a support ticket (see below).  The scanner is supposed to be pretty foolproof.  If it ain't working you either have an unusual problem or you may be doing something wrong...

Thank you gazumped!  I'll create a ticket.

Hi all,

I just tried putting a stack of business cards through the Evernote ScanSnap scanner.  Some of them worked really well; the EN "Contact Notes" were automatically created with the convenient data fields for name, business, etc.

But many of them only scanned into a picture.  I played with these same cards and Evernote Hello on my phone but it still wouldn't create these "Contact Notes".

And I am completely stumped on manually creating a "Contact Note". 

The business cards that scan as a picture won't even allow me to add text or edit them in anyway.  EN tells me that they were created with a different program and I'll have to use that to edit them (they were most definitely created with EN software and EN hardware). 

With the scanner, if the size / shape of the card is unusual it may be categorized as a receipt.  I've seen this happen with vertical cards.  Check the note title, if it says Scanned Receipt this indicates that the size is the issue.  There is a setting in the ScanSnap manager that will allow you to force the scan as a business card to get around this.  Just remember to set it back to automatic so that you will get the auto filing behavior again.

Another cause may be that the card design e.g. the font, the colors, etc may be making recognition difficult.  If you've tried business card scanning with Evernote Hello and it still isn't picking up any information, this may be the case.

As for the ability to edit the resulting notes in Evernote and the trick I mentioned in this post to manually create cards, you should use the main Evernote iOS client.  

As part of the partnership with LinkedIn, we are offering 1 year of unlimited business card scanning in the main Evernote client for iOS.  You just need to login with your LinkedIn account as your scan your business cards.  This is something you want to do regardless since that will enable us to use the information from the card to search for the person's LinkedIn profile and add that to the resulting note.

Thanks mcheng!

The cards in question are of a normal size.  At least a few of them are black text on a white background, but am still having troubles.

The ScanSnap options are set to force the scans as business cards, and the "Convert business cards to contact notes" option is checked in Tools > ScanSnap Options.  But still these cards become images with no editable fields. 

I've only tried Evernote Hello on an outdated Android phone with no success.  I do not have access to iOS devices. 

The LinkedIn partnership sounds like the beginnings of a science fiction plot to identify and track everyone ...

• Like 1