Issues with Evernote Touch

AllenS

I'm running Evernote Touch on my Asus T100TA and am finding it extremely frustrating. I'm running WIN 8.1.1... but I've had this same problem before any updates took place.

1) when I open ET, it often, most often, will show 'Create', 'Shortcuts', 'Reminders', 'Get More' and 'Notes' only --- no mention of Notebooks, etc.

If I search for a document, THEN 'Notebooks' will appear after I cancel the search (tap left arrow on top left of screen).

2) when I choose, for instance, a .pdf file to open -- I tap the button, but instead of the pdf document opening, the program just goes back to the Start Screen of WIN 8. The program is still running (e.g. it still appears with a top left rightward swipe), but now 'Notebooks' is missing again.

3) the program spends more time cutting back to the Start screen than it does actually giving me my documents.

4) When it does actually work and let me attempt to edit a document (non-pdf), it keeps refreshing every 10 seconds or so causing me to keep scrolling down within the document to find my place again.

Bottom line -- I can't count on Evernote Touch to actually work when and where I need it to work. The WIN 8 desktop version works fine, but is miserable when it comes to scrolling, etc. The print is so small, my apparently fat fingers have trouble selecting the wanted items. Documents don't scroll by touch, only by using the scroll bar on the right... next to impossible to use by touch.

By the way... the same pdf document I can't open in ET without tapping it open, is fully open in the desktop version... no buttons to tap at all.

ET just doesn't seem to be at all stable. 

Allen

• Level 5*

Not sure it's fair to compare Touch and Desktop - they're effectively different operating systems,  so like iOS and Android have their own "personality" and Touch is definitely different from Desktop in a number of ways.  Touch is still being developed,  so within the limits of the OS will come more in line with Desktop over time;  meantime I can only suggest you pick the closest to your needs and stick with it for a while.  There are always annoyances to all software - the trick is to find workarounds that make it at least acceptable for your use case.

• 2 weeks later...

Evernote Touch App crashes after 6 seconds on new Toshiba P50 Windows 8.1 laptop... much the same experience as AllenS...

Open Evernote, get green screen with logo for more than 5 seconds then present the main screen and I can see my notes...but after 6 seconds, the app crashes/goes away.

Not sure it's fair to compare Touch and Desktop - they're effectively different operating systems,  so like iOS and Android have their own "personality" 

Hm, you keep saying that in different threads, but really, Win 8.1 is win 8.1 , whether on desktop or tablet (not sure about the phone version). 

I you are referring to evernote, d'accord, touch and desktop are different programs. running on the same OS. Just saying... :)

• Level 5*

Not sure it's fair to compare Touch and Desktop - they're effectively different operating systems,  so like iOS and Android have their own "personality" 

Hm, you keep saying that in different threads, but really, Win 8.1 is win 8.1 , whether on desktop or tablet (not sure about the phone version). 

I you are referring to evernote, d'accord, touch and desktop are different programs. running on the same OS. Just saying... :)

I did say "effectively",  and you do need software from different sources with different features to run the 'same' app on both platforms,  so I don't know how else to describe the situation...

I did say "effectively",  and you do need software from different sources with different features to run the 'same' app on both platforms,  so I don't know how else to describe the situation...

Hm, not sure who is misunderstanding who here. What I mean is, there is only one platform, windows 8.1. You can install software from different sources, i.e. the windows store or downloaded from a wensite, but they still run on the same OS.

• Level 5*

Hm, not sure who is misunderstanding who here. What I mean is, there is only one platform, windows 8.1. You can install software from different sources, i.e. the windows store or downloaded from a wensite, but they still run on the same OS.

Well,  the Touch version of Evernote doesn't do so well if you only use a keyboard (or according to some folks here,  even then...),  and the Desktop version doesn't work out if you can't do sweeping and dragging - but we seem to be debating the right word to use for explaining the difference between two means of access.  

I just got a Surface 2, not the Pro, this week. I didn't want the pro version.

Evernote Touch seems to be very early and need a lot of work to me. I don't see much use for it on my Surface (which makes me sad). I use it all the time everywhere else (iPad, iPhone, Windows 7, Mac ,etc). I am looking forward to EN Touch to get stable and be a reliable options for as a Windows 8 app.

Just my 2 cents .... Still LOVE EVERNOTE on everything else! :)

• 3 weeks later...

4) When it does actually work and let me attemspt to edit a document (non-pdf), it keeps refreshing every 10 seconds or so causing me to keep scrolling down within the document to find my place again.

This is truly the devil's work. The minute you stop writing to think of the next thing to write, it jumps the cursor around, first to the very end and then to the top, adding a couple of empty lines in the process. So frustrating.

Archived