sync errors from windows to web

Lucinda

I moved 1450 notes from various folders to a newly created notebook on my windows evernote. at the time i was running EN 5.2.0.2946. the newly created notebook has not synced to the web. The web version only has 4397 notes and the PC has 5637. I also did a lot of housekeeping on tags and only a few of the changes showed up on the web. It looks like every note that is in this new notebook and all the tags of those notes are not showing up on the web version. This is in spite of the fact that EN windows says the sync was completed successfully. though the sync dot is still present I tried it multiple times and closed and opened the program in the process. I also closed chrome and re-opened it to make sure I had the latest view of the web version. the changes are also not appearing on my iPad. 

I then downloaded the latest EN 5.31 (271363) and completed a "successful" sync but nothing changed in the web version.

I also tried editing the body of two of the missing notes and that did not force a sync on those notes either even though the note date updated was correct. Apparently, the note date updated DOES NOT change when tags or notebooks are edited. Is this correct? Does that seem like the way it should work? 

The windows version, thankfully, still has all the data but how can I get it to propagate to the web and my iPad and iPhone? I need this data. 

And yes, in recent weeks I did have a few notes where the sync dot was not removed even though the data went through. This was mentioned on a previous thread but it didn't concern me since the data went through. This is clearly different. Data has been removed from the web version and that is not acceptable. 

BTW, i have a premium account if that makes a difference. 

Thanks for any and all help.

based on the advice from: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58156-renamedmoved-notebooks-not-syncing/

I created a notebook in the web version with the same name as the new one on my PC. Then I synced again from the PC and it is populating the new notebook. This has to be some type of error if it is happening to more than just me. 

Do I have to check note counts to see if the data is being synced correctly? that is crazy. I need to know, with certainty, that everything I add or change in Evernote on every platform is properly synching to each other. 

• Level 5*

So lets see,  you went crazy and changed more than 1,000 notes and tags on the desktop client.,  then changed some more in the web client, and changed the installed version of the windows client.  And are concerned that two are not yet reconciled.  Yes,  the notes are being reconciled - but you might have to be a little patient if you make lots of changes....

No. I made all the changes in the windows version. On after it didn't sync to the web after multiple attempts did I update the windows version, after backing up the exb file. The majority only appeared after I created the new notebook on the web version. This was after the windows version continually saying it was fully synced. which obviously it wasn't. Why would it take time for the windows client to know it has to update the changes? I can see it taking time, which it did after I created the new notebook on the web to actually do the sync. But the windows client should have known, instantly, that notes had been changed. 

I still have missing notes on the web version. Currently 5576 on web and 5644 (two of which are local only) on my windows client. 

One big question remains which I've seen questioned on various forum messages. Does EN windows mark a note as changed and needing to be synced if a tag was added, deleted or changed? The same for notebook? I would certainly think so but apparently something is causing my 1000+ notes to not be queued to sync. 

Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Also, is there a way to see the total number of notes on the iPad or iPhone without having to look at each notebook and add them up? I could then compare and see what might be missing.

• Level 5*

It wouldn't take time for the windows client to know it has to update,  but it would take time for lots of changes to filter back and forth.  The trigger date is when the changes were made would be the date and time at which they were made - so if you change something on the web and on the windows desktop,  the most recent change wins.  Except if you change the web version and it then sees a change stamped before the time its most recent change was made,  but after the last change was recorded on the web,  one of the notes will go to a conflicting changes notebook.  Any change to a note counts as a syncable change - tags or content or title.

I'd suggest you raise a support ticket since the support guys can look under the hood to a greater extent than we can,  but you might also want to look up the steps to export local notebooks and unsynced notes to an ENEX file,  then how to rename and re-download your database.  Re-downloading will get you all the notes currently stored online,  and you can then (re-)import the previously unsynced notes which will then be re-created and (hopefully) will then sync correctly.

• 1 year later...

Syncing notebooks, tags, stacks is bad. Font formatting is bad. And who knows what else. boils down to - unreliable.  All I got to say - Evernote for android is not too good - not very reliable and could cause a serious headache.

Jay

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Syncing notebooks, tags, stacks is bad. Font formatting is bad. And who knows what else. boils down to - unreliable.  All I got to say - Evernote for android is not too good - not very reliable and could cause a serious headache.

Jay

If you have any specific problems with Android,  please give details in the correct forum - this thread is about Windows...

Archived