Feature request : Password protected notebook

• Level 5*

Is there a way to password protect a notebook or notes so if you post a link somewhere to content it can be protected?

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

You cannot password protect a notebook. You can encrypt the content of a note if you are using one of the desktop clients. See the instructions in my signature for your device.

• Level 5*

... and you can use a password-protected file to limit access to the content of a note, or you could move the content to another notebook and leave a direct link to it in place; if the person viewing the note doesn't have permission to see it in its new location, they won't be able to get through the link. (Provided the new location isn't already open).

... and you can use a password-protected file to limit access to the content of a note, or you could move the content to another notebook and leave a direct link to it in place; if the person viewing the note doesn't have permission to see it in its new location, they won't be able to get through the link. (Provided the new location isn't already open).

1. By "password-protected file" do you mean to use your computer OS to password protect a file that you attach to an Evernote note?

• Level 5*

1. By "password-protected file" do you mean to use your computer OS to password protect a file that you attach to an Evernote note?

Not the computer OS as such, but much software - MS Office, Adobe PDF etc - offer options to save an encrypted file that requires a password before it will show its contents.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

As Grumpy and Gaz have already said above, you cannot password protect a notebook. You CAN individual notes.

As a workaround you may be able to get what you want in setting up a 2nd EN account with ONLY your personal and private notes.

• 3 weeks later...

As Grumpy and Gaz have already said above, you cannot password protect a notebook. You CAN individual notes.

As a workaround you may be able to get what you want in setting up a 2nd EN account with ONLY your personal and private notes.

Ok, but HOW do you password protect an individual note? I am trying on the web (Mac OS) and on my iPhone, and cant see any way to add password protection to an individual note.

• Level 5*

Ok, but HOW do you password protect an individual note? I am trying on the web (Mac OS) and on my iPhone, and cant see any way to add password protection to an individual note.

The desktop versions of Evernote will allow you to select all of the text in a note, and encrypt it using Evernote facilities. This text can be decrypted on any Evernote client, even the mobile ones, I believe, at least you can do this on the Android.

• Level 5*

Only the desktop clients allow you to encrypt a note. You can decrypt a note on any platform (as far as I know), but you can only edit the content using desktop clients (as far as I know). 

• Level 5*

@GM: Two minds that work as one. (or two half-wits making up one mind?) :)

The latter :)

I should have quoted your post. I was just clarifying some of the points about decryption and encryption on different clients. As a side note, as far as I know, the manual (in my link) for OSX doesn't mention encryption at all, even though it is certainly possible. It is a little confusing for users (here I am climbing up on my soap box again to berate the poor folks at Evernote about insufficient documentation of the products they spent all of this time developing!) to know what can / can't be done on each client.

Well, I guess if there was documentation, the forums wouldn't be quite so busy, so it gives us something to talk about!

I'd like to be able to password protect a notebook because I use evernote on an iPad used by my family so I'd like to prevent them from being able to get into certain notebooks.

Not sure if this would work for you or not but I was looking for something similar. My work around was to use aNote app on iPad. I can lock specific folders that then sync with Evernote. I password locked Evernote on my iPad so if someone does need to get to my Evernote notes I let them access it thru aNote not the Evernote app on the iPad. But I do really wish that the locked folders in aNote would automatically be locked folders in Evernote that way they would also be locked on the desktop or web.

I will also add that I don't share my iPad with my family. Im actually very protective of it and really do not like any one else using it. 

I have used the encrypting text for some things but it really is not practical for "journal" like note. I realize that Evernote isn't really intended to be used as journal but it actually works very well for me.

• Level 5*

I realize that Evernote isn't really intended to be used as journal but it actually works very well for me.

Hi. The nice thing about Evernote is how flexible it is, and I doubt the developers could even say everything it is intended to do. I bet they are hoping people will come up with their own ways of working the app into their lives. I find Evernote to be particularly well-suited to journals, and that is one of my main uses for it :)
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to password protect a notebook or notes so if you post a link somewhere to content it can be protected?

Thanks.

I figured out how to password protect an individual note.  First of all I have an iMac and an iphone 5, I use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I needed to password protect because I wanted access to it on my iPhone. The file was password protected in Excel on my iMac so I had to remove the password, then send the file to Evernote via an attachment. I could then open it with no password. I went back into the Excel file on my iMac, added the password, then synced Evernote...Voila. I can now open the file on my iPhone using the password.

I figured out how to password protect an individual note.  First of all I have an iMac and an iphone 5, I use Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I needed to password protect because I wanted access to it on my iPhone. The file was password protected in Excel on my iMac so I had to remove the password, then send the file to Evernote via an attachment. I could then open it with no password. I went back into the Excel file on my iMac, added the password, then synced Evernote...Voila. I can now open the file on my iPhone using the password.

FYI, password protected Excel & Word files are very easy for hackers to get into. The best option is to use a true password manager.

I would also suggest you change your display name from your email address.

I too was wanting a way to password a note but it looks like you can only password/encrypt the text in a note.  While that is pretty good, it doesn't help me in all situations.

For example, I want to make copies of certain documents for an upcoming Italy trip (ie: Driver License, passport, insurance papers, etc.,).  Because those are images, not text, there is no real way to encrypt or password protect them in Evernote.

You could zip them up first and then password protect them but then you need assurances of whatever device you're using has that same type of uncompression program available, plus it's extra steps.

I vote that notes can be password protected or encrypted in some way!

Regarding the previous comment on ease of cracking passwords for Office files, true, if you use weak password, but if you use very strong passwords like I do, then I thik it's unlikely someone would bother after a reasonable amount of time and effort.

• Level 5*

You can add images to PDF files and make a portfolio of your documentation in a password-protected PDF file (If you have/ have access to a PDF editor).  If you're browsing away from home,  it's certain that any computer will have Adobe Reader so you can open the file...

You can add images to PDF files and make a portfolio of your documentation in a password-protected PDF file (If you have/ have access to a PDF editor).  If you're browsing away from home,  it's certain that any computer will have Adobe Reader so you can open the file...

To take this a step further, there is a dfiference between password protecting a PDF & password encrypting a PDF.  Again, encryption is the most secure way to go.

Regarding the previous comment on ease of cracking passwords for Office files, true, if you use weak password, but if you use very strong passwords like I do, then I thik it's unlikely someone would bother after a reasonable amount of time and effort.

All you have to do is Google to find any number of apps that will crack passwords.  Even when using a strong password, if the document is only password protected & not password encrypted, it's one step easier for someone to get into.  It's kind of like locking your door but putting the key under the mat.  I don't see the advantage of using a password protected document when there are other, better, more secure ways to store sensitive data & they don't require any extra effort.  Just like when I lock my door, I take my keys with me.

To take this a step further, there is a dfiference between password protecting a PDF & password encrypting a PDF.  Again, encryption is the most secure way to go.

All you have to do is Google to find any number of apps that will crack passwords.  Even when using a strong password, if the document is only password protected & not password encrypted, it's one step easier for someone to get into.  It's kind of like locking your door but putting the key under the mat.  I don't see the advantage of using a password protected document when there are other, better, more secure ways to store sensitive data & they don't require any extra effort.  Just like when I lock my door, I take my keys with me.

I totally understand what you mean and the difference between regular passwords and encryption.  However, based on several password crack (estimation) sites, it would take over 58 years to crack my password using today's best/fastest computers.  Your point is still valid, but I think I'm safe with my strong password.

reference: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

I love Evernote and use it every day  - a lot. While there are some good ideas presented here, EN will never be accepted as a business solution until it can support password protected, encrypted notebooks. 

I love Evernote and use it every day  - a lot. While there are some good ideas presented here, EN will never be accepted as a business solution until it can support password protected, encrypted notebooks.

I don't know that they are trying to be "accepted as a business solution".

Content posted at http://evernote.com/business/ suggests EN is aiming for acceptance as a business solution, at least in my mind.

I zip files, encrypted with a password - that works great for me, but it's only good for files created with other applications. The option to restrict access at the note or notebook level would be a great enhancement.

-julia

• Level 5*

I think it's more likely that they will be accepted as "Business Solution" if they implement roles and permissions. Password protection and encryption doesn't scale.

Content posted at http://evernote.com/business/ suggests EN is aiming for acceptance as a business solution, at least in my mind.

I zip files, encrypted with a password - that works great for me, but it's only good for files created with other applications. The option to restrict access at the note or notebook level would be a great enhancement.

-julia

Yes, there's that. But as far as a more encompassing "business solution", there are more significant features EB lacks, as Metrodon pointed out. Add to that they have no plans for an Enterprise version (hosting your own cloud) or LAN syncing, either of which would attract companies that want or must use their own servers (IE medical field). What that suggests to me is that EB is really only geared toward light to medium information sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

As I posted in another similar forum, Evernote should take lesson from the creators of the Palm desktop software.  At the bottom of every contact, memo, to do item, or scheduled event there is s small box marked "private" which can be checked or unchecked.  If checked, the individual item is either masked or hidden from view until a password is provided.  Additionally, the entire program can be set to require a password to open it.    The security was so simple and so intuitive, it's amazing that other programs have not incorporated similar protection.

• Level 5

Yeah, but he did actually say the end of the year, I used previous experience to extrapolate to "soon".

You got Reminders in the end :)

I'm running Windows, so Reminders are still coming "soon".

Search Code 47ER92

• Level 5*

Yeah, but he did actually say the end of the year, I used previous experience to extrapolate to "soon".

I'm running Windows, so Reminders are still coming "soon".

Search Code 47ER92

Very true.

• 4 months later...

Help! This forum topic seemed to just die last July without any real resolution or definitive answer as to IF or HOW a Note or Notebook on Evernote can to PW Protected, Encrypted whatever.

Here's my delima/application/question...

I have 100's of various passwords to 100's of applications, websites, banks, etc.

Further I 'live' off various platforms, iPad, MacBook, PC and Android!

Evernote with it's multiplatform support, and it's instant sync-ability seemed to be the perfect solution to what I wanted to do, which was...

.. To write an Evernote note that included ALL of my PW's. So whenever I was on any of my 'platforms', if needed, I would have access to those PW's. The only viable and secure way to implement this idea was to PW protect (with a super high security PW) and/or encrypt the information, preferably both.

So if any of this is possible, can someone tell me step-by-step how this can be done.

PS - I don't need advice on the foolishness of doing what I want to do, I've already heard all that. Just humor me and trust that banking, financial, etc. PW's are probably not going to be included.

Help! This forum topic seemed to just die last July without any real resolution or definitive answer as to IF or HOW a Note or Notebook on Evernote can to PW Protected, Encrypted whatever.

I have 100's of various passwords to 100's of applications, websites, banks, etc.

Evernote with it's multiplatform support, and it's instant sync-ability seemed to be the perfect solution to what I wanted to do, which was...

.. To write an Evernote note that included ALL of my PW's. So whenever I was on any of my 'platforms', if needed, I would have access to those PW's. The only viable and secure way to implement this idea was to PW protect (with a super high security PW) and/or encrypt the information, preferably both.

So if any of this is possible, can someone tell me step-by-step how this can be done.

PS - I don't need advice on the foolishness of doing what I want to do, I've already heard all that. Just humor me and trust that banking, financial, etc. PW's are probably not going to be included.

Of course it's possible. Simply use a true password manager. There are many good ones out there.

Of course it's possible. Simply use a true password manager. There are many good ones out there.

I use PW Managers... But not all are multi-platform, and multi- browser compatible and/or synch-able. Safari on Mac & iPad, Firefox on PC & Mac, iPad, Google on everything, all seem to have solutions, some better than others, some auto-sync, some don't.

Plus there are many websites/apps I use which "block" PW saving. So the PW managers don't help there. So I'm having to revert to the old tried and true pen and paper solution.

I'm open to other creative thoughts.

Oh, and to the person who sent me the Encryption info, how does one do a "right click" on an iPad, sans mouse/keyboard?

• Level 5*

1Password works on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.

I use it on my Mac on Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

It syncs across all my devices.

You can still access the passwords even if the app or website blocks 1Password.

But as I say, it's up to you....

On iOS you can unencrypt text in notes, but you cannot encrypt.

I'd like to be able to password protect a notebook because I use evernote on an iPad used by my family so I'd like to prevent them from being able to get into certain notebooks.

I am having the very same issue. There should definitely be a way to password protect a specific notebook and/or document.

1Password works on Mac, Windows, iOS and Android.

I use it on my Mac on Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

It syncs across all my devices.

You can still access the passwords even if the app or website blocks 1Password.

But as I say, it's up to you....

On iOS you can unencrypt text in notes, but you cannot encrypt.

Great, that's helpful. The iOS issue is bothersome, because once unencrypted, how would I re-encrypt before closing and having the new unencrypted information then re-sync'd with all my other Evernotes?

• Level 5*

I think that when you close the app then the existing encrypted text is locked again - but you can't add to it on iOS.

I never try and use a swimming pool when I need to drive to work (use the right tool for the right job).

I mostly use Roboform.  It's on Windows (FF & Chrome), Mac, iOS, Android, Windows phone, Linux (gasp!) or you can get a version that fits on a USB key (Roboform to go.)

I would sort of guess most good password managers are pretty much multi-platform & not tied to specific browsers.  Otherwise, it's sort of like having a AAA (auto club membership) that only works when you have trouble in your home city.

• Level 5

I tested RoboForm, but dropped it in favor of LastPass.

The security architecture of LastPass mentioned in a Security podcast convinced me it was the right decision.

Quote: "I've spent at least several days, and now even more than that, using LastPass. So this is a complete security analysis and feature walkthrough on what I have to say is, I think, the best solution possible."

The meat of the discussion occurs half-way into the podcast. Here is the text version.

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm

• Level 5

Obviously the year end came and went.

What we got in January was a one liner in the current beta saying evernote encryption was now AES128 instead of RC2.

Not sexy.

But it's at least meat and potatoes. Maybe a side dish, rather than a main course.

• Level 5

Since it's an iPad. If you're premium, you can put a pin code on Evernote.

It's not a specific notebook, but it does allow you to restrict all your Evernote data on a shared ipad.

And to be honest, I wish the desktop had that too.

• 2 weeks later...

After catching up on this thread the points are always hijacked.

At a minimum find a way to encrypt a note. PGP has been around for over a decade, plug it in. Encrypt the note. Done. This isn't rocket science and it's not new tech.

We run a paperless company. I need to be comfortable scanning W4/I9/W9/ID Scans/etc in.

If I had wanted to stay on the file system level I'd have done so. We chose to run with Evernote because of the way it holds, sorts, tags, and fetches data across multiple devices and places. I can dump back to Dropbox for these needs but I'd rather have data when I need it where I need it how I want it.

If this was a new concept not dating back to 1991 I'd understand.

It's not, I don't understand.

At a minimum find a way to encrypt a note. PGP has been around for over a decade, plug it in. Encrypt the note. Done. This isn't rocket science and it's not new tech.

You seem to be making the assumption that Evernote doesn't know how to do what you want. I think you need to consider that it is currently not at the top of their priority list. 

• Level 5

yup.  The rest of the world started moving away from RC2 in 1989/1990 when it was broken too.  2014 betas bring the move from RC2 to AES128 to Evernote.

Priorities Schmiorities...

I reaaaalllly want sexy encryption. 

How is that different from secure encryption?  ;)

If you were an encryption geek, you would understand.

Encryption is not that difficult...but say, ..client side / blowfish / zero knowledge...THAT is sexy! (open source (somehow) would be orgasmic!)

• 1 month later...

You seem to be making the assumption that Evernote doesn't know how to do what you want. I think you need to consider that it is currently not at the top of their priority list. 

No, based on the history of this thread and the web searches where others chime this bell every month I definitely know its not on the top of their priority list.  As such it would not be hard to put a method in there to allow for this from an external provider or a method so widely known. Do what you do great and if you can't do it, allow for others. (Walled gardens vs the Bazaar) That's all. I've thought about just putting Applescripts in place that pull notes PGP them, dump them back in the note, but then I've got a silo solution that only works on the desktops I've implemented that on and we lose a lot of the power of multi-device/location.  I've been in tech for 20+ years its not like I don't have a general clue for scope, priorities, and execution (also within that incorrect priorities, cronyism, meeting hell, and feature creep.) 

I'd like to think if they bumped it up on their list of to-do's business acceptance would be greater since no company worth much would dream of putting sensitive information in a very open system. However it feels so close that's the tantalizing frustration. Just seems like a good thing to tout, which is always good for additional business. 

-1 karma points for not shipping to Canada from your online store BTW.The_Secret_Chocolatier-_IMI6913_small.jp

Hey +1 for trying. We're a family business, if you really want me to quote out something I will but most of the time when I show the shipping numbers people blanch. A digital world we exist but the physical transportation out of country is always a barrier.  

As to any of our secrets, we have so many.. so many.. ;) The only ones really worth protecting our our employees. We're a pretty transparent organization otherwise. Keeps us honest, and we like that.  :D

• Level 5

Hey +1 for trying. We're a family business, if you really want me to quote out something I will but most of the time when I show the shipping numbers people blanch.

Advertising works (even when it's verrry subtle).

We'll see. I once paid $100 shipping for a $40 Espresso tamper out of New York. Seems I'm occasionally immune to that sillyness.

Shipping calculated to my US postal box was a fair bit too.

No understatement on "Heavy Cream". ;-)

May be worth looking at some green icing and an "Evernote" stencil for the carmels.

Evernote Marketplace, lifestyle brand and all...

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

This is my first time using the forum, but I have been using Evernote since it came out. 

I have been wanting to maintain a private journal and I thought of Evernote as the best tool to do this. However the limitation is that I can't password protect my notebooks. I am aware of the encryption method and this is not what I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure there are many practical applications of having a password protection for Notebooks. I tried a few other apps like Penzu, but I would really like to stick to one tool for convenience. 

Thanks heaps for Evernote team for hearing me out  :D

Hi, 

This is my first time using the forum, but I have been using Evernote since it came out. 

I have been wanting to maintain a private journal and I thought of Evernote as the best tool to do this. However the limitation is that I can't password protect my notebooks. I am aware of the encryption method and this is not what I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure there are many practical applications of having a password protection for Notebooks. I tried a few other apps like Penzu, but I would really like to stick to one tool for convenience. 

Thanks heaps for Evernote team for hearing me out  :D

I've merged your thread into an existing one on the same topic.

Archived