How do I find a searched term inside the indicated documents?

This is no doubt search 101 but its got me stumped. I search for "North Carolina" with no parameters and i get a list of a half dozen documents that meet the criteria. I see the document I am looking for and I can click on it and read it but it is 45 pages long. Where is "North Carolina" within the document? Seems like I should be able to just drill down somehow but it doesn't seem intuitive to me.

Thanks from a newbie.

Ed

This is no doubt search 101 but its got me stumped. I search for "North Carolina" with no parameters and i get a list of a half dozen documents that meet the criteria. I see the document I am looking for and I can click on it and read it but it is 45 pages long. Where is "North Carolina" within the document? Seems like I should be able to just drill down somehow but it doesn't seem intuitive to me.

Thanks from a newbie.

Ed

Welcome to the Forum Ed!

This is simple, but it takes an extra step.

Once you open the Note in which you wish to search, go to Edit>Find>Find Within Note.  In the upper right hand corner of the window that appears, you will find the search bar.  Type "North Carolina", then hit the Return Key.  All of the words North Carolina will appear highlighted.

Hope this helps!

• Level 5

Ed,

It is even easier to just:

Open the note in question, then do Ctrl-f (for "find") and your text in the document will be highlighted.

This is for the Win OS but others are similar.

• Level 5

Thanks from a newbie.

Ed

You are on the right track.

Searching long notes usually require at least two searches.

• Search #1) Find all the notes that meet the criteria "North Carolina"
  • Search #2) If you spot the correct title and note, then click on the body of the note and use Ctrl F to search for the term inside the 45 pages

But if can't find it in the note, you will have to perform the Ctrl F search on the remaining 5 notes found in Search #1) until you find the correct note. Yes, it can be tedious and time consuming.

First, to Jefito, I am in Windows 7 desktop. 

Per Sentinal's suggestion, I did the search all notes thing and get the list of notes. I then highlight one note and Edit, Find and Replace, Find within Note. Obviously Ctrl-F is one's friend here. That seems to work but is a bit variable? I did see a search box on top in one of my attempts but usually there is just a blinking cursor in the lower left. I would sometimes quickly see the desired result already highlighted in the body of the note, but sometimes it seems that after my first keystroke to search within note that it would jump into the note itself and my following keystrokes would be annotating within the note. Not my plan, of course.

Anyway, I think I'm on the right track and will figure out what I might be doing differently in the different situations. Thanks for your help.

OOps, looks like two other answers popped up whilst I was typing. Thanks.

Archived