Jump to content
  • 247

Idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

When I don't want to see a note anymore because I finish the job and I don't want to continue seeing it on the list, it but I don't want to erase it.
How do I do it?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/14/2019 at 2:24 PM, Cris R said:

When I don't want to see a note anymore because I finish the job and I don't want to continue seeing it on the list, it but I don't want to erase it.
How do I do it?

For sure need this Feature. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I believe an archiving system would be very useful, however I don't feel that it should be prioritized if it interferes with more important upcoming improvements.

For me, I use an archive tag to organize data, however, when it comes to removing it from search I would need to search with -tag:Archive.

The solution I am using now, like CalS mentioned, is moving archived data to another Evernote account every year to remove the notes from search, and share the notebooks back to my main account so I can access them.  I still have an archive tag (and notebook stack) so I don't need to go through the notes for what I need to move to a different account.

This is working for me, however, a dedicated feature for this would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
48 minutes ago, Score said:

The solution I am using now, like CalS mentioned, is moving archived data to another Evernote account every year to remove the notes from search, and share the notebooks back to my main account so I can access them. 

I understand archiving by moving notes to a different account

Doesn't sharing the notebooks undo the archive

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've been using Evernote for 11 years and created over 54,000 notes. 

I have a paid PREMIUM and a free BASIC Evernote account. 

My old stuff (5 years old or older) eventually gets ARCHIVED to my basic account.

My current stuff (29,000 notes) stays in my premium account

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
4 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

I have a paid PREMIUM and a free BASIC Evernote account. 

My old stuff (5 years old or older) eventually gets ARCHIVED to my basic account.

My current stuff (29,000 notes) stays in my premium account

Some day, I may have to consider two accounts for performance reasons.

Until then, I'm happier with all notes in a single account, and a switch (tag) to include/exclude archived notes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I may have to consider two accounts for performance reasons.

Until then, I'm happier with all notes in a single account, and a switch (tag) to include/exclude archived notes. 

I moved from Minnesota to Maine 5 years ago. So all my Minnesota stuff is stored in the archived account. As time marches forward, I will start moving some of the Maine stuff. The Evernote basic maximum monthly transfer restriction is one reason that I try to move stuff every month. It also helps keep the premium account toned down to a manageable quantity. I don't have a pressing need for my heating bill (etc.) from 5 years ago, but it is nice to know I can find it if I need it.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've not found the need for an archive solution to date.  My default view is side list sorted by created in reverse order.  Older stuff is naturally on the bottom of the search results.  So, unless or until I run into any performance issues there isn't any real motivation for me to do extra work to archive anything.  Could be a use case thing.

I did move 5800 notes to another account a ways back, project type stuff.  But the reason wasn't archiving, it was to share the info without using my main account.  Were it not for that sharing need those notes would probably still be in my main account.  FWIW.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@DTLow Recently I have been using the Evernote Web beta on my work computers where I couldn't install applications, and it doesn't search the shared notebooks unless I click into them (I don't think that is exclusive to the web beta).  I do recall having the shared notebook appear in general searches on Mac before, in that case I wouldn't share, and I would log into the other account on the rare occurrence it was needed.

On 6/17/2019 at 5:38 PM, CalS said:

I've not found the need for an archive solution to date.  My default view is side list sorted by created in reverse order.  Older stuff is naturally on the bottom of the search results.  So, unless or until I run into any performance issues there isn't any real motivation for me to do extra work to archive anything.  Could be a use case thing.

 

Yes.  In my use case, I search to recall of most of my notes.  The search terms I use usually come up in old notes, which is where archiving comes in handy for me.  It is more of a ease of use thing, than a performance thing, for me, as the performance hasn't too significantly declined when there are a lot of notes (at least not that I notice).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

There is a need to be able to retain notes related to closed activities, but not have them show up in searches by default. Basically, I'm asking that a field be added to show note state (open, closed) and that the default search exclude closed notes, but allow a means to easily change to "ALL" notes should the need arise to include them in a search. 

Without this I get tons of unneeded notes continuing to clutter notebook views causing it to take longer to find what I'm looking for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Hi.  Start tagging unneeded notes with "xArchive" or some such keyword and routinely exclude them with -tag:xArchive from any search.  Or sort notes by created/ updated date to see the most recently actioned.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
19 hours ago, hmo said:

There is a need to be able to retain notes related to closed activities, but not have them show up in searches by default.

As per @gazumped, I use an Archive tag.     -tag:Archive    excludes the notes from searches

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Or if you use reminders, you can use the filter -reminderdonetime:* that excludes notes that were reminders and have been marked as done. For more, see: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

Note that "reminderdonetime" (or "Reminder Done Time" as it's shown in list views) is already a note field.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I have not yet observed an attempt to consolidate all the "Exclude"/"Archive" tag requests into a single topic, so I suspect they might not be considering it seriously. 

Having to use a saved search to manually exclude a special tag on every search is a little inconvenient, but I guess we all do it, until they implement it as an option setting (if ever).

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I have not yet observed an attempt to consolidate all the "Exclude"/"Archive" tag requests into a single topic, so I suspect they might not be considering it seriously. 

Having to use a saved search to manually exclude a special tag on every search is a little inconvenient, but I guess we all do it, until they implement it as an option setting (if ever).

?? If you can provide a list I can have a shot at merging,  though with a single vote on this thread I wouldn't think most users are that worried about it either...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 8/30/2019 at 6:24 PM, gazumped said:

?? If you can provide a list I can have a shot at merging,  though with a single vote on this thread I wouldn't think most users are that worried about it either...

Oh, I thought employees did that, rather than users/moderators. I have personally created a topic on this at least once, and commented on others discussing this at least a couple of times in the last year or two.

Since people word this issue in different ways, it maybe a little challenging finding all of them. ("completed/unneeded" notes is not how I would have worded it for searching purposes, for example).  

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Since people word this issue in different ways, it maybe a little challenging finding all of them. ("completed/unneeded" notes is not how I would have worded it for searching purposes, for example).

Ok, lets get the request merge started

Archive is the more common term.  Completed relates more to reminders, projects and tasks

Share this post


Link to post
  • -5
50 minutes ago, faruk.kutlu said:

The most critically value from Evernote or similar tools is finding your data easily. With no archive feature, you may have to find your file among hundreds of useless search results.

There are various archive solutions presented in this discussion.  My solution is to use an !Archive tag

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...