Cropping Causes Search Errors

Analyst444

When I do a search for a word, EN also searches images in Notes, accurately finds the word in the images, and highlights it in yellow.

However, I have noticed (on 5-6 occasions), that if I crop an image and then do a similar search, EN correctly finds the Note, but the highlighting is now off by as much as 1-2 inches.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Should I submit a problem ticket to the EN support team? 

• Level 5

Yes, I notice this often. The yellow highlighting is usually several lines below the actual location of the word. Not just in jpg's but also PDF's. Other people have mentioned this in the forum.

I don't know if Evernote is aware of the issue. It  wouldn't hurt to let them know about this problem.

I've noticed something similar on the Mac client. Cropped images often get scaled to fit window size, while uncooperative images do not. This usually means cropped images look wonky if the window size is not just right. It could also account for the highlighting offset, for example if EN thinks the word is somewhere but because of the scaling it is actually not in that precise location.

Very odd.

• Level 5*

OCR text is stored with the pixel-based location and size of the text in the image that it came from. If you crop or resize the image, that data is necessarily going to be invalid. Not sure if there's a way to re-do the OCR in that case.

Jefito - What you say makes a lot of sense.

So, what I would like the EN programming staff do when a user crops an image is to send an record back the EN servers that the image needs to be re-OCRed. I'm guessing, but I'd think it would only take 2-6 lines of code to make it happen.

I submitted a ticket requesting this change. We'll see if and how they respond.

• Level 5

Analyst444 - In my case, the highlighting search result is often out of alignment... but what makes my situation a bit different is that I never crop an image. My images always go in at full size and remain at full size. But the alignment problem still occurs.

Just like a person with double vision, I have learned to live with this irritating problem.

Please let us know what the feedback from Evernote Support is.

I just received a response from Evernote on the ticket I submitted on this topic. Here it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello analyst444,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support, we appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

I will certainly submit this as a feature request on your behalf.

Currently the only way to have an image indexed again is to add the image to a new note and then delete the original note from your account.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Dominic A
Evernote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have any idea how many feature requests there might be on their master list. It could be thousands.

• Level 5*

I don't have any idea how many feature requests there might be on their master list. It could be thousands.

Safe bet there, across all of their clients. It's just a mere matter of prioritization...

Archived