Using a scanning app to place documents into Evernote?

I'm going to go through all of the documents in my office and store them in Evernote. I'd like to do this with my Android Note3.

1. As far as I know, if I take a picture from within Evernote, it is just a picture and not a scan, correct?

2. Has anyone tried using an app like Scanbot to scan a document and then place it into Evernote? Any thoughts on doing it this way?

Thanks!

I use Scanner Pro from Readdle regularly on my iOS devices. scanbot should be really nice too, made by the folks who used to make Doo.

There are lots of scanning apps, including the document scanner built into Evernote. They all do great.

• Level 5*

..and although Scanbot is pretty cheap,  there are completely free ones out there that do a good job.  The principle is fine - I'm just mean.  I use CamScanner,  the Evernote page camera,  or just take a picture and add a JPG to be OCR'd

1) Evernote document scanner creates a text-optimized jpeg image with the page edges detected. This is indexed by Evernote and searchable for both free and premium users.

2) Scanning applications typically produce PDFs. Some scanning apps allow you to choose JPG or PDF. They usually do a lot of really good edge detection and image optimization to bring the text out and increase the quality. In many cases with apps like Scanner Pro (and likely Scanbot, which I have bought but haven't tried), I can get photo-copier like scanning results. This is considerably better than just taking a picture. Usually I run these through Adobe to do text recognition and the quality is high enough that Adobe has no problem doing this. 

Really these apps typically range from $1 to $7. Genius Scan+ is an inexpensive Android scanner and Scanbot is on sale for cheap right now, it's low risk to try it out. 

One thing to note is that Free users cannot search within PDF files, that feature is available to premium users only. 

Scott,

Do you (or anyone reading this) happen to know about a *specific* free PDF converter that would play well with Evernote and Windows 7. I've googles this a number of times and tried several that come up, but none seem to do what they promise.

I know paid is better and I'd happily do so if it was an option, but first you need money. ;)

1) Evernote document scanner creates a text-optimized jpeg image with the page edges detected. This is indexed by Evernote and searchable for both free and premium users.

2) Scanning applications typically produce PDFs. Some scanning apps allow you to choose JPG or PDF. They usually do a lot of really good edge detection and image optimization to bring the text out and increase the quality. In many cases with apps like Scanner Pro (and likely Scanbot, which I have bought but haven't tried), I can get photo-copier like scanning results. This is considerably better than just taking a picture. Usually I run these through Adobe to do text recognition and the quality is high enough that Adobe has no problem doing this.

Really these apps typically range from $1 to $7. Genius Scan+ is an inexpensive Android scanner and Scanbot is on sale for cheap right now, it's low risk to try it out.

One thing to note is that Free users cannot search within PDF files, that feature is available to premium users only.

Scott,

Do you (or anyone reading this) happen to know about a *specific* free PDF converter that would play well with Evernote and Windows 7. I've googles this a number of times and tried several that come up, but none seem to do what they promise.

I know paid is better and I'd happily do so if it was an option, but first you need money. ;)

EDIT: And no-one will take my monopoly money! :D

2) Scanning applications typically produce PDFs. Some scanning apps allow you to choose JPG or PDF. They usually do a lot of really good edge detection and image optimization to bring the text out and increase the quality. In many cases with apps like Scanner Pro (and likely Scanbot, which I have bought but haven't tried), I can get photo-copier like scanning results. This is considerably better than just taking a picture. Usually I run these through Adobe to do text recognition and the quality is high enough that Adobe has no problem doing this.

• Level 5*

Scott,

What do you mean by PDF converter? If you want to convert from .jpg to .pdf, Preview on the Mac will do that. The app is free (it comes with your Mac). Personally, I use Adobe Acrobat Pro (not free, by any means, but relatively inexpensive with an education discount). This allows me to do pretty much anything I want with PDF files (OCR, merging, bookmarking, converting, encrypting, etc.). 

Windows, not sure. Perhaps Adobe reader will allow you to save between jpg and pdfs? 

As for OCR.... Adobe Acrobat is all I know and I was able to purchase that with a discount through my university. There may be some other OCR software out there, but I couldn't think of any windows-friendly options at the moment!

But, that said, it depends on what exactly you mean by "converter". 

• Level 5*

Windows Acrobat 9.0 will export an existing PDF to JPG (amongst other save as/ export options).  Word processors will save or export to a variety of formats,  often including PDF.

Windows Acrobat 9.0 will export an existing PDF to JPG (amongst other save as/ export options). Word processors will save or export to a variety of formats, often including PDF.

First, my apologies to anyone who sees this for the use of CAPS throughout this post. I wanted to emphasize several points, but am on my Android phone and it doesn't give me access to the Forum's text editor, so I could use formatting functions like Bold or Italics.

Rest assured, I am not trying to *shout* at anyone, least of, at Gazumped - my favourite historian! :)

Gaz, I know about Windows being able to save documents as a pdf. and about being able to convert PDFs to Jpegs. But as far as I can tell, that still won't allow me to Edit the content, or convert a pdf. into and Editable format, such as Word.

I'm referring to PDFs that I recieve and or acquire by some other means (legal ones), *not* the ones I can create myself on my own computer.

I want the ability to Open, Read, EDIT, and *re-save* the pdf. file that I *was sent,* as EITHER a pdf., under a new name - OR - as a Word document.

If I'm doing something wrong in Windows and there IS a way to do either of the following:

1) Open, Read and EDIT & Save a pdf. document in Windows - that I did NOT originally create, but is one that was Sent to me, as a pdf. document? OR...

2) IF I'm doing something wrong and/or a missing a step where a pdf. document that's been sent to me - and I re-name and save it as a Word 7 document with the file extension (filename.docx), that *should* - IF I understand you correctly - convert the pdf. into and actual Word Document, which I could then easily edit just as I would with any other Word document?

@ Gazumped, please clarify if you know is either or both, of the above two scenarios *should,* work, and IF SO, can you please lay-out the exact steps for me so I can figure out where I'm going wrong?

IF THE ABOVE TO GAZUMPED, TURNS OUT TO *NOT* BE DOABLE, THEN THE FOLLOWING IS ADDRESSED TO EVERYONE:

Unfortunately, I am flat broke for the forseeable future. Even a "little bit of money" is more than I have.

I've heard from a number of people (not from anyone here in the Forum) who say that there are several free PDF to WORD Converter available free online. As that would enable me to edit the text, once it was a Word document, that would be great.

I have spent many an hour looking online and sure enough, I've found several.

The problem is that once you download them, they turn out not to be free at all, despite what the misleading home pages all promise. You don't get to see the small print until *after* you have downloaded the product.

That's when you find out they are really only offering *free* demo videos, or short-term trial offer with limited used of the programs feature, or some other bait and switch tactic to ensure you download what *seems to* be a totally free product.

But once you do, you discover you've been had and if you really want to use this "wonderful free, open-source product," you need to pony up the cash for their "fantastically reduced price!."

Either that or you're allowed convert a couple pdf. files, but you don't realize it at first. It's only *after* you convert the max few you weren't aware are the only *freebies* you're going to get, because NOW the small print appears.

Or any number of other bait and switch tactics are employed.

BOTTOM LINE:

I don't care if it's a PDF to WORD converter or some other kind of program. I just need COMPLETELY FREE App, ot Utility, or Program - or whatever - that will allow me to Open and Edit PDF Files in Windows 7. If such an animal even exists.

Does this clarify what I mean now? If so, does anyone know of something that would work for me?

• Level 5*

@Wordsgood - what you're asking for seem quite simple,  but unfortunately it's not.  When you get past the Open and Read stage with a PDF file,  you're out of the free zone and into paying for the privilege.  Editing and Saving back to PDF or converting the result into Word (or anything esle) on a desktop computer requires (AFAIK) some level of subscription.  

Android weirdly does include a PDF 'annotate' option via Skitch,  but Skitch on the (Windows) desktop won't open PDF files or accept a drag and drop inclusion.  I remember Heather suggesting a PDF editor ages ago whose name I've now totally forgotten (it was installed on a now defunct laptop) which (I think) was free and did lots..  but I don't have time right now to track that down.  

Leave the thought with me for a while and I will (as they say) get back to you.  Meanwhile anyone else with useful suggestions,  please feel free to weigh in...

Okay, thank you, Gazumped. I know it might not be possible with actual funds. But I'll keep hoping. Thought it couldn't hurt to ask. :)

@Wordsgood - what you're asking for seem quite simple, but unfortunately it's not. When you get past the Open and Read stage with a PDF file, you're out of the free zone and into paying for the privilege. Editing and Saving back to PDF or converting the result into Word (or anything esle) on a desktop computer requires (AFAIK) some level of subscription.

Android weirdly does include a PDF 'annotate' option via Skitch, but Skitch on the (Windows) desktop won't open PDF files or accept a drag and drop inclusion. I remember Heather suggesting a PDF editor ages ago whose name I've now totally forgotten (it was installed on a now defunct laptop) which (I think) was free and did lots.. but I don't have time right now to track that down.

Leave the thought with me for a while and I will (as they say) get back to you. Meanwhile anyone else with useful suggestions, please feel free to weigh in...

• Level 5*

OK - the reason I couldn't find that PDF app previously was it's filed under "split and merge" - http://www.pdfsam.org/ - a free utility that was being recommended to chop big PDFs into smaller chunks if they exceeded the note maximum size.  So that was a complete red herring,  sorry!

I've been trying to lateral think an option for editing and re-saving PDFs from an original file when your starting resource is Adobe reader (or Foxit if you're opening from Evernote).  The possibilities depend a lot on the content of your PDFs - whether they're text only,  text with illustrations or lots of design and artwork - and what you need to do in the way of commenting / editing.  Are we talking adding notes,  or major rewrites?

In my version of Adobe reader (Windows v1.1) for instance there's an option to add sticky notes and highlight text which might do for comments on mainly text documents.  It's also possible to highlight and copy text from the PDF into a Word document with 'normal' highlight, Ctrl-C copy and Ctrl-V paste.  In a mainly text document the highlight,  copy,  paste option would allow you to move lots of text content from one format to the other.  Layout and style might be a bit suspect - you;d have to try it out.

For pictures and graphics you could use Skitch and screen-shot the open PDF file to get a something which accurately shows colours and layout.  Skitch has built-in annotation by graphics (arrows etc) and text,  and if you paste into a Word document again you could add further text comments around the Skitch pictures.  (You will have an option to save to Evernote or to a PNG or JPG file which are both compatible with Word)

Other than that I think you're back at the mercy of the 'free' software that will offer conversions from Adobe to Word.  Even with Adobe 9.0 I don't have great results saving from PDF to Word - it seems like the conversion was always meant to be the other way - Word to PDF - because the PDF is just an electronic 'print' picture of the ideal document.  I always save the Word original with any PDF output because I know the reverse process will likely give me weird formatting at some point.  If you go back to looking at some of these options,  remember there are also websites where you can upload files of one type and convert them to something else.

Final suggestion - worst case,  use Adobe Reader to print out your document and re-scan it from paper.  Does your scanner save to Word format?  Done deal.

There's other ideas that I'm sure you will have considered - find a friend with PDF editor software who wouldn't mind converting files for you / check with local print or copy shops to see if they'd offer the same service..

Hopefully there's something in there that will help - best of luck with your search!

Thank you, Gazumped, ScottLougheed and Grumpy Monkey (hope I didn't miss anyone), for all your suggestions and attempts to help! It is very much appreciated. :)

Unfortunately, half our income has been repeatedly sporadic over the last several years, and of late, our senior furbabies seem to be in a contest with each other to see who can spend the most before it's even hit the account. 'S okay though, they're worth it!

Gaz, it never even occurred to me to ask friends if they had software that could convert PDFs for me. I will definitely ask, so thanks for the idea!

If not, then for now, I'll just keep muddling along by Copying and Pasting the text I need most.

Thanks again, one and all. :)

Archived