How do I stop Evernote from loading at startup?

I have removed Evernote from the startup list, but it continues to load when I power on the mac.  This would not be so frustrating if it were not moving to the forefront every hour or so (when it syncs?).  I have also set the sync to "manual" to no avail.  Help!

• Level 5*

Have a look at your Evernote Options - there should be a setting in General to load on startup,  and in Sync as to frequency (both Windows settings,  but I assume the same in Mac).  If you adjust one or both of those you should be able to lock it down...

Have a look at your Evernote Options - there should be a setting in General to load on startup,  and in Sync as to frequency (both Windows settings,  but I assume the same in Mac).  If you adjust one or both of those you should be able to lock it down...

In the Evernote Mac Preferences dialog there is a checkbox to start the Evernote Helper on log-in, but there is not one (afaict) for Evernote itself.

On my machine (Evernote 5.5.1 on OS 10.8.5) syncing never causes Evernote to become the active app.

Also, it sounds like you've gone into system preferences>Users and Groups>Login to remove Evernote.

It should be the case but try right-clicking the dock icon for Evernote>Options> and ensure that "open at login" is un-checked. It SHOULDN'T be because this setting follows the system preferences setting, but.... you never know. 

Also, are you on the most up-to-date version 5.5.1?

• 2 years later...

I have looked in Preferences in the Evernote app, and I have right-clicked as per above form the dock, but nothing is checked. Not selected in Users and Groups>Login Items, although Evernote Helper is. On version 6.9.  Still launching at startup. Other ideas, dear super users?

I wnt to know exactly the same thing. Since updating Evernote it always open itself at startup which is tedious. And there is no easy way to stop it from doing this. Have you solved this problem? If so, please share how did you do it! Thanks!

I finally figured out how to stop this with version 6.9 today as none of the suggestions above worked for me, either. 

Do the following: Settings > Users & Groups > Login Items > Click the lock at bottom left & input your system password > In your "Login Items" list highlight the Evernote items and click the "-" (minus) sign underneath the list. 

That finally stopped Evernote from auto launching even though neither of the Evernote items in my list were checked. Hope it works for everyone else.

23 hours ago, MacKC said:

I finally figured out how to stop this with version 6.9 today as none of the suggestions above worked for me, either. 

Do the following: Settings > Users & Groups > Login Items > Click the lock at bottom left & input your system password > In your "Login Items" list highlight the Evernote items and click the "-" (minus) sign underneath the list. 

That finally stopped Evernote from auto launching even though neither of the Evernote items in my list were checked. Hope it works for everyone else.

If you are on version 6.9, this option can be turned off in the Evernote application's Preferences by selecting Evernote > Preferences > General from the menu bar and un-checking the box next to Open Evernote when I log into my Computer. See the screenshot below.

Preferences.png

I hope that helps!

@BSR, Thank you for the response, I was just going to comment that I'm having this problem, too. Unfortunately, when I open the Preferences and look at the General panel, the "Open Evernote when I long in to my computer" option is not checked. I also tried unchecking the "Show Evernote Helper in the menu bar" option, but when I turned on my Mac this morning, Evernote started right up again. I have the Evernote icon in my dock and the "Open at Login" option is not selected there either.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Lynnied said:

@BSR, Thank you for the response, I was just going to comment that I'm having this problem, too. Unfortunately, when I open the Preferences and look at the General panel, the "Open Evernote when I long in to my computer" option is not checked. I also tried unchecking the "Show Evernote Helper in the menu bar" option, but when I turned on my Mac this morning, Evernote started right up again. I have the Evernote icon in my dock and the "Open at Login" option is not selected there either.

Amanda had a solution here

20 hours ago, Lynnied said:

If you are on version 6.9 of Evernote for Mac and have the option de-selected but Evernote is still starting up on login, I would suggest giving the steps posted by @amanda_h a shot.

For those of you who want to stop Evernote from launching automatically, navigate to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items, then select and remove Evernote from the list of login items.

21 minutes ago, Lynnied said:

@BSR, Thank you. Evernote started loading at login after I upgraded to 6.9. I've gone through the process that @amanda_h descirbed and will pay attention the next time I login.

Let me know how it goes!

On September 17, 2016 at 2:28 PM, MacKC said:

After trying everything else, this worked for me.

None of the above works for me. I'm running Evernote 6.8, the latest version for my Mac 10.9.5. Evernote 6.8 hasn't the same Preference features as Evernote 6.9 nor is Evernote in the Login Items list. Any more ideas? I'm not ready to update my OS yet, have to upgrade my RAM first.

20 hours ago, Lynnied said:

I've tried all of the above and Evernote 6.9 is still launching when I start up the Mac (late 2013 iMac running El Capitan v. 10.11.6). I also haven't updated to Sierra yet. Any other ideas?

Uninstall and move to one note :P

Seriously though. I have the same issue as above and not one of the suggestions is fixing this. Since the last update something has gone rogue and forces evernote to launch at startup. Not cool.

• Level 5*

Hi.  See posts above @BSR is the fount of knowledge on this - if you can submit a support request*,  I'd suggest doing so and posting the ticket number here so he can pull together the unfixable cases. 

* If that won't work for you - https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/53-reach-out-to-evernote-support-on-twitter-evernotehelps/

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  See posts above @BSR is the fount of knowledge on this - if you can submit a support request*,  I'd suggest doing so and posting the ticket number here so he can pull together the unfixable cases. 

* If that won't work for you - https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/53-reach-out-to-evernote-support-on-twitter-evernotehelps/

Thanks @gazumped.

Our developers are looking into this and are working diligently on a fix. I do not currently have an ETA for when this will be released. If you are able, please submit a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can gather the activity logs from the Evernote application on your system and track the cases for which the workaround discussed above is not resolving the issue. Thanks!

I can get evernote to not open at start up for only one to two start-up sessions, by going to BOTH the startup preferences and the evernote preferences and unchecking startup choices/removing it form the start up list. But after 1 - 2 startups of my mac, it reappears at start up. Very, very annoying...

I'm having the same issues it appears. I've uncheck startup options from my User & Accounts preferences AND unchecked the "open Evernote when I log into the computer" option from Evernote itself. I can't figure out why it keeps starting up. This isn't a critical issue but rather annoying!

Unchecked in the login items on user account. I am hoping it helps. 

I AM NOT SURE WHY EVERNOTE DEVS THOUGHT HAVING A PROGRAM LIKE THEIRS AUTOMATICALLY STARTING WITH MY MAC AND FORCING IT ON US WAS A GOOD IDEA.

I'm also getting a little tired of Evernote opening automatically launching when I boot. I am running v. 6.9.1 on MacOS Sierra. The launch on startup box in preferences is unchecked. Can you fix this with the next version, please?

Thanks.

Hello,

Recent updates to your software cause intentional evernote to launch when I login to my computer. I don't want this at all. This is very heavy on startup resources and Evernote is not what I'm thinking about when I start my machine.

Settings in the preferences to not launch are already checked both in the software itself AND the "work-around" in preferences/accounts/login items.

Please fix this as soon as possible. Thank you!

On 10/4/2016 at 4:45 AM, macuser2 said:

Unchecked in the login items on user account. I am hoping it helps. 

I AM NOT SURE WHY EVERNOTE DEVS THOUGHT HAVING A PROGRAM LIKE THEIRS AUTOMATICALLY STARTING WITH MY MAC AND FORCING IT ON US WAS A GOOD IDEA.

Checking the option to hide Evernote on login in the account preferences does not work. The evernote setting to NOT launch does not work. I am expecting a software fix as soon as possible. Obviously this is a bug.

I do not want to launch Evernote automatically upon login.

I've unchecked the Open on Login preferences for both Evernote and Helper in preferences. However, both launch automatically on login every time regardless.

OSX 10.11.6

Evernote 6.9.2

Preferences_and_Evernote_Basic_and_Post_New_Idea_-_Evernote_User_Forum.png

Just an FYI and Update: it appears that Evernote is no longer opening automaticlly on login for me. I'm on a Mac running Sierra (v. 10.12), and have updated to the latest version of Evernote (v. 6.9.2). I'd previously tried all of the suggestions posted here, without success, so perhaps updating Evernote and system is the answer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, joetallyho said:

I just updated to Sierra 10.12.1 and Evernote 6.10.  Evernote now opens on both startup and wake-up.  Did not happen before on Capitan and 6.9.2?  But like all, I have unchecked this from opening. Very arrogant of Evernote.

I don't think its an intended action by Evernote

Wake-up seems to be a new issue - I've never had applications start up when my Mac wakes

Regarding Startup - did you uncheck this in two places.
The first is in Evernote Preferences
The second place is in Mac System Preferences as per

This problem has been irritating me through several versions of Evernote on two MacBooks I use (currently 6.10 with MacOS 10.10.5; 6.8 with MacOS 10.9.5).  The checked "open at login" option when right-clicking the app icon refused to be toggled to unchecked.  But the earlier suggestion to work through System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items worked for me in both circumstances.  Once I checked Evernote (but not Evernote Helper), unchecking the app icon option to "open at login" now remains unchecked, and the app no longer loads at login.  Indeed, Evernote is not even listed as a login item under System Preferences anymore.  Note that version 6.8 does not even offer an option under Preferences/General to toggle Evernote start-up at login; this only appeared apparently with 6.9.  

I spoke too soon, at least for the older version of Evernote (6.8) on the older MacOS (10.9.5).  Each time I close Evernote, the "open at login" rechecks itself, and even re-installs itself in the System Preferences list of Login Items.  So, that continues to be a problem, doubly so because v6.8 is apparently as good as it gets for this older version of MacOS.  Since this is a company Mac about to be refreshed, I am not about to upgrade to anything current.  But it remains a problem for those not inclined to upgrade to at least Yosemite.  Unless the Evernote folks are willing to issue a backward fix, of course.  Hope. Hope.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2016 at 8:36 PM, tshane said:

I spoke too soon, at least for the older version of Evernote (6.8) on the older MacOS (10.9.5).  Each time I close Evernote, the "open at login" rechecks itself, and even re-installs itself in the System Preferences list of Login Items.  So, that continues to be a problem, doubly so because v6.8 is apparently as good as it gets for this older version of MacOS.  Since this is a company Mac about to be refreshed, I am not about to upgrade to anything current.  But it remains a problem for those not inclined to upgrade to at least Yosemite.  Unless the Evernote folks are willing to issue a backward fix, of course.  Hope. Hope.  

I'd be willing to downgrade to whatever version of Evernote did not do this and call it a day at this point. 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, macuser2 said:

I'd be willing to downgrade to whatever version of Evernote did not do this and call it a day at this point. 

So what's stopping you from downgrading?
It might also require an OS downgrade

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

So what's stopping you from downgrading?
I think it might also require an OS downgrade

I'll have to find the Evernote version and download link

As for reverting my entire OS and go as far as downgrading it??? just because Evernote won't fix their program?? I shouldn't have to do that _ever_. Not for one little program. Evernote should have fixed this a long time ago.  I guess its been over a month since this happend. They obviously don't care to actually acknowledge or fix it. I'm going to uninstall Evernote. I've been a long time user and lover of Evernote but this problem is really starting to annoy the hell out of me. I'm very dissapointed.

No white knight responses needed.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, macuser2 said:

Evernote should have fixed this a long time ago.

Should have/Could have/Would have
I follow George Carlin's philosophy "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"

For me, I acually have Evernote set to load at startup.  Its one of the tools I use constantly

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Should have/Could have/Would have
I follow George Carlin's philosophy "Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"

For me, I acually have Evernote set to load at startup.  Its one of the tools I use constantly

You forgot the part where I said "no white knight responses needed."   And shoudla, woulda, coulda is not what I expect from Evernote either.  Really this conversation ends here.   Only response I care about is from Evernote officials, which hasn't happened. So there you go.. Uninstall and ending subscription too.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

18 minutes ago, macuser2 said:

You forgot the part where I said "no white knight responses needed."   And shoudla, woulda, coulda is not what I expect from Evernote either.  Really this conversation ends here.   Only response I care about is from Evernote officials, which hasn't happened. So there you go.. Uninstall and ending subscription too.

Hi @macuser2, here's the link to my post from earlier in this thread:

Our developers are still investigating the fix for this. Although I still don't have an ETA on when that will be ready for release, I can assure you it's being worked on.

1 minute ago, BSR said:

Our developers are still investigating the fix for this. Although I still don't have an ETA on when that will be ready for release, I can assure you it's being worked on.

Thank you so much for this answer. I am grateful to know that this is being worked on. I guess I will put up with it until there is a fix. Thanks again!

1 minute ago, macuser2 said:

Thank you so much for this answer. I am grateful to know that this is being worked on. I guess I will put up with it until there is a fix. Thanks again!

No problem! Feel free to let me know if I can be of assistance with anything else in the mean-time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-11-10 at 7:40 PM, BSR said:

Yes! Thanks!

Glad I read this thread since I've tried turning the autostart off in both Mac OS X and in the Evernote application preference. No luck.

/Thomas

On 9/17/2016 at 11:28 AM, MacKC said:

Thank you...that worked!

On September 18, 2016 at 2:17 PM, BSR said:

If you are on version 6.9, this option can be turned off in the Evernote application's Preferences by selecting Evernote > Preferences > General from the menu bar and un-checking the box next to Open Evernote when I log into my Computer. See the screenshot below.

Preferences.png

I hope that helps!

These options do not appear in my Evernote preferences window. The only place I find this option is if I right click on the app icon, where it lets me I click the option "open at login." This only works temporarily for about 3-4 startups after doing this, then seems to automatically reset again. It's getting real old.

3 hours ago, MommahB said:

These options do not appear in my Evernote preferences window. The only place I find this option is if I right click on the app icon, where it lets me I click the option "open at login." This only works temporarily for about 3-4 startups after doing this, then seems to automatically reset again. It's getting real old.

What version of the app are you currently using? You can check by opening Evernote and selecting Evernote > About Evernote from the menu bar.

Update on this issue:

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you know that our developers are still working on this and there is a tentative fix on the horizon, though I do not have a firm release date yet. I will provide any updates here as I receive them. Thanks for your patience while we work on fixing this and let me know if you have any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Using Sierra 10.12.2, if you go into System Preferences--> Users . . . you have to put a tick in the box next to Evernote to keep it from loading at startup.  This is the reverse of what you do in the Evernote preferences box.  There you uncheck the "login" option.  In System Preferences, you do the reverse.

It is a pain i. t.. a..

How do I stop Evernote from loading at startup?

I followed all the instructions and evernote turns into like a kind of virus.

Version 6.8 (for mac) there is no other available.

I get into the mac preferences and in "user" at "autostart" i deleted evernote (i never configured evernote to be a autostart app), but when i restart the computer... there it is.

Please need some help here.

Otherwise I will have to discard this app like others good applications with huge bugs that make it impossible to use.

Thank you.

Update:

This issue should be resolved in version 6.11. The fix looks like it's set to be included in the second beta for 6.11, though I don't have an ETA on when that will be and this is always subject to change.

To switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

Let me know if you have any questions!

On 9/17/2016 at 1:28 PM, MacKC said:

THANK YOU!!!! That worked!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 2:28 PM, MacKC said:

Thank you Mac KC... that worked for me when no other suggestions worked!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm also so annoyed by Evernote opening automatically despite having that option UNchecked in both settings and the task bar icon, that I've been considering deleting it!

I've tried to do the procedure above but I see no Login Items list. Also I don't see "Login Items" but "Login Options." Is it the same thing?  There's absolutely nothing listed under it anyway.  I did follow Settings> Users & Groups but see nothing about Evernote.  Can you help?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I've supported macOS for almost 20 years and I cannot figure out how "EvernoteHelper.app" is launching at login.  It's not a LaunchAgent nor a LaunchDaemon (both / and ~), it's not a deprecated "/Library/StartupItems", it's not a login hook nor it is a login item for the user (I've removed the user's entire home folder and it still happens).  I've taken a file change snapshot of the entire boot volume before and after unticking the relevant checkboxes in Evernote's preferences and it reveals nothing.  What the hell did you guys do to auto launch this for the user?  We automate everything for our ignorant users thus I need to know what file(s) to modify.

Do the following to disable it.

if [ -e "/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/EvernoteHelper.app" ]; then
    chmod -R u+r+w-x,g+r+w-x,o+r-w-x "/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/EvernoteHelper.app"
fi

I'm using Evernote 6.11.454874 on macOS 10.12.4.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/16/2014 at 1:06 PM, Chris Patton said:

I have removed Evernote from the startup list, but it continues to load when I power on the mac.  This would not be so frustrating if it were not moving to the forefront every hour or so (when it syncs?).  I have also set the sync to "manual" to no avail.  Help!

try to remove its login items from system folders. You should go to Library and find login file there or you can use a free software App Cleaner & Uninstaller for this task. Her eis more how to do it - https://nektony.com/blog/how-to-stop-chrome-from-automatically-opening-at-login

• 1 month later...

This is still happening in Version 6.11 (454874 Direct) . There are no options under user setting and unchecking in the app does not work. It has been over a year now and still the same issue. Good buy Evernote, you have been uninstalled for a better note taking app that functions.

• Level 5*
On 20/07/2017 at 4:28 PM, swarren said:

This is still happening in Version 6.11 (454874 Direct) . There are no options under user setting and unchecking in the app does not work. It has been over a year now and still the same issue. Good buy Evernote, you have been uninstalled for a better note taking app that functions.

A couple of fixes were posted above - did you try any of those?

Thanks Mac - that fix stopped the Evernote launch and cleaned up other boot-time program issues.

• 1 month later...

I've written an applescript-Program to solve the problem for me (Evernote 6.8 on OS X 10.9.5)

* checks at startup, if Evernote is starting/started

* if Evernote does: Quits Evernote and removes the Evernote login item from User System Preferences

* after that quits itself

* EvernoteHelper is not touched from the script, so that I can use it, if I need it

Try the script by double clicking, when Evernote is started. If you like it, put it in the login items from System Preferences, that itself runs and checks at startup.

killEvernoteStartup.app.zip

• 1 month later...

This has been an ongoing problem since at least 2009(Google it). Every few months BSR (see above) sends a cheering update of non information. Clearly Evernote has no intention to fix it.  One can only assume that if it takes eight years not to fix a known problem, Evernote has some benefit that they don't want to share.  Not renewing.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I am sick and tired of Evernote automatically taking over any browser when it is opened. The problem does not seem to go away and is persistent over the years. I am considering kicking out Evernote. What ever the solutions given over here it is all nonsense. Evernote is neither in the start-up menu, nor is the box ticked "open at start up" which has nothing to do with the problem anyhow, as it impacts only the app and not the browser.

Evernote should simply remove the "quick Start" page. it is worse than any piece of malware ever. it annoys just as much as any program taking over the "search" page of a browser. It is obviously sheer incompetence given the fact that this threat exist since 2014

• 4 months later...

This is happening for me on different Macs running Mojave and High Sierra. I'm on version 7.7 on Evernote. I've tried removing Evernote from System Preferences > Users & Groups as well as unchecking the option to start in the Evernote preferences. Nothing works.

Hey support- is there a fix for this yet???

Archived