EN Windows 7 desktop keeps crashing...

lometogo

I power the system up and immediately get the screen saying the program has encountered a fatal error and needs to close...I am given the option to submit a report which I did....BUT it means I am totally without EN.....and don't know when/where i will get help....

Any suggestions?

• Level 5*

Submitting a report from a crash is just to help developers work on improving the app;  if you want assistance,  raise a support request (see below).  If you're a free user that can take a few days,  so meanwhile you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the software - use Revo Uninstaller (free download) to remove the current software completely,  and then download and install the latest version.  (Backup your database first,  and have a search around here for more detailed instructions on that if you need them.)  Any current notes you have created should not be affected by the reinstall,  and will be available as soon as you log in again.

Submitting a report from a crash is just to help developers work on improving the app;  if you want assistance,  raise a support request (see below).  If you're a free user that can take a few days,  so meanwhile you might try uninstalling and reinstalling the software - use Revo Uninstaller (free download) to remove the current software completely,  and then download and install the latest version.  (Backup your database first,  and have a search around here for more detailed instructions on that if you need them.)  Any current notes you have created should not be affected by the reinstall,  and will be available as soon as you log in again.

Hi Gazumped, I submitted a ticket to support and received this reply from Alex in tech support, I presume. I cannot for the life of me find a "my computer tool. I am running Win 7 professional. Since you're such a helpful guy, I thought I would reach out to you. Thanks, Terence

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your Evernote application; I can help you with this!

In order to pinpoint the problem, the first thing I'd like to do is to gather an activity log from you. Can you please attempt to recreate the problem you are experiencing, and then open the "My Computer" tool from Windows and paste the following into the "browser" bar:

(Windows XP)

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

(Windows Vista/7)

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

This should open the logfiles folder. Please attach the most recent files to a reply to this email.

The Activity Log may contain some information about your account and your notes. For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file. We will make every effort to protect the privacy of any information found in this log, but feel free to edit the file to remove anything you do not want to send us.

My apologies again for any inconvenience this issue may be causing. I look forward to hearing from you so we can get it resolved!

• Level 5

Hi Gazumped, I submitted a ticket to support and received this reply from Alex in tech support, I presume. I cannot for the life of me find a "my computer tool. I am running Win 7 professional. Since you're such a helpful guy, I thought I would reach out to you. Thanks, Terence

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your Evernote application; I can help you with this!

In order to pinpoint the problem, the first thing I'd like to do is to gather an activity log from you. Can you please attempt to recreate the problem you are experiencing, and then open the "My Computer" tool from Windows and paste the following into the "browser" bar:

(Windows XP)

(Windows Vista/7)

This should open the logfiles folder. Please attach the most recent files to a reply to this email.

The Activity Log may contain some information about your account and your notes. For example, the titles of some of your notes may be mentioned in this log file. We will make every effort to protect the privacy of any information found in this log, but feel free to edit the file to remove anything you do not want to send us.

My apologies again for any inconvenience this issue may be causing. I look forward to hearing from you so we can get it resolved!

It actually means that you should open the Windows Explorer (in a standard Windows Installation there is a "My Computer" icon and a double click will open the explorer) and paste the text "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs" or "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs" into the navigation bar. This will open the Logs directory/folder containing the log files of Evernote.

(Windows XP)

(Windows Vista/7)

It actually means that you should open the Windows Explorer (in a standard Windows Installation there is a "My Computer" icon and a double click will open the explorer) and paste the text "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs" or "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs" into the navigation bar. This will open the Logs directory/folder containing the log files of Evernote.

Hi, yes, I recollect a 'my computer' icon somewhere in my digital past but this version of Win 7 professional edition has no such icon and I have looked EVERYWHERE and nowhere can I find an icon or a 'my computer' folder...I am hoping tech gets back and suggest an alternative. Thanks for your input.

Terence

Hi, yes, I recollect a 'my computer' icon somewhere in my digital past but this version of Win 7 professional edition has no such icon and I have looked EVERYWHERE and nowhere can I find an icon or a 'my computer' folder...I am hoping tech gets back and suggest an alternative. Thanks for your input.

Terence

In Windows 7 Pro, just paste it in the search bar that comes up when you click the start button.

Or...do exactly what Stuhrer posted. It sounds like you might want to re-read what he posted.

• Level 5

Terence

Yes, what BurgerNFries suggests is actually easier. Pasting '%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs' into the search bar immediately opens the logs directory in the Windows Explorer. Thanks BurgerNFries, great tip.

Terence

In Windows 7 Pro, just paste it in the search bar that comes up when you click the start button.

Or...do exactly what Stuhrer posted. It sounds like you might want to re-read what he posted.

Thanks, Dad.

Yes, what BurgerNFries suggests is actually easier. Pasting '%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs' into the search bar immediately opens the logs directory in the Windows Explorer. Thanks BurgerNFries, great tip.

You're welcome!

• 1 month later...

Evernote has been crashing on me for months on Win7, without any error messages or the option to send a crash report. The window simply vanishes off the screen and when I restart the application, some of my data is gone. It happens mostly when I'm using the scroll bar in a checklist note. I always use the latest version of Evernote and hoping that the next one would fix it but so far no luck...

How do I contact developers..?

• Level 5*

Evernote has been crashing on me for months on Win7, without any error messages or the option to send a crash report. The window simply vanishes off the screen and when I restart the application, some of my data is gone. It happens mostly when I'm using the scroll bar in a checklist note. I always use the latest version of Evernote and hoping that the next one would fix it but so far no luck...

How do I contact developers..?

Well,  firstly that shouldn't be happening (obviously).  Lots of users are on W7 and the last several versions of Evernote have been stable from that point of view.  And second you don't need developers,  you need Support (see below).

• 2 months later...

I have also been dealing with Evernote randomly freezing during the course of normal computer activity on Windows 7 Professional.  I use Evernote all day long every day and i would say that probably 5 or 6 times a day i will click on the Evernote tray icon to add a few notes and the window will display and then gray out showing an additional popup that says Evernote Not Responding and just hanggggggggg.

I am ready to switch back to One Note since they now have the web version but i have 2 years of daily notes in Evernote.

I always upgrade immediately to the latest release when it comes out hoping that will help but it doesn't.

Does anyone have anything that may help?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

<snip>

Well,  firstly that shouldn't be happening (obviously).  Lots of users are on W7 and the last several versions of Evernote have been stable from that point of view.  And second you don't need developers,  you need Support (see below).

Archived