The Reminder is not good on windows

blindbeef

• 2 weeks later...

The Reminder feature was highly requested, what we got was better than nothing...that said, I had higher expectations for EN -- slick design, delightful processing, etc.

In addition to the fine points made by blindbeef, I want to add some more ideas.  I just finished a chat with EN support, they offered to take my feature request and forward it to the engineers.  But, I want to copy what I wrote to them here, so others can add to it.

1. On Android, the date picker control of the reminder feature works well, there is a very nice control that looks like a circular radio dial (apparently the system won't let me type k-n-o-b ) that lets me quickly scroll forward and backwards to pick a date. But on Windows, the set date feature of the reminder is very poorly designed, it looks like MS Outlook c. 1996 :-[ So my request is to make the reminder's date picker control work more like the one in Android.  Along those lines: In EN for Windows, the date picker control looks like a calendar, which is boring but reasonable, however, it has NO visual indication on the calendar indicating if a date has already been selected! The selected date, if any, should be highlighted; also, today's date should be highlighted (if visible); Also, there should be controls (and keyboard shortcuts) to move the reminder 1 day forward/back, 1 week forward/back, shortcuts to jump to today, tomorrow, etc.

2. Also, there should be default settings for the reminder feature. If I set a reminder for a date without specifying the time, it currently picks the current time as default. I'd like an option to have it default the time to the start of my day (e.g. 9 am, but that start of day would be defined in an options screen someplace).

3. There needs to be a slick, ergonomic snooze feature in case you can't deal with the reminder right when it pops up.  Reminders need to be persistent, without being too demanding an interruption.  That means if a reminder pops up and you can't deal with it at that very moment, you need a snooze because you don't want to stress your memory to remember about the reminder that you dismissed without fully processing the item! I understand snooze could be controversial, so just make it a feature you can disable.  

4. Finally, a request that I DIDN'T mention in chat, but which would be great:  Reminders should be a searchable attribute, just like tags. So one could search for reminder:true/false, reminder:past/today/future or reminder:[timespan] where timespan could be X hours/days/weeks in the past/future, and finally why not reminder:[daterange]
Others - please add, comment, criticize.
  • Level 5*

Finally, a request that I DIDN'T mention in chat, but which would be great:  Reminders should be a searchable attribute, just like tags. So one could search for reminder:true/false, reminder:past/today/future or reminder:[timespan] where timespan could be X hours/days/weeks in the past/future, and finally why not reminder:[daterange]

Reminders are searchable: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

The Reminder feature was highly requested, what we got was better than nothing...that said, I had higher expectations for EN -- slick design, delightful processing, etc.

In addition to the fine points made by blindbeef, I want to add some more ideas.  I just finished a chat with EN support, they offered to take my feature request and forward it to the engineers.  But, I want to copy what I wrote to them here, so others can add to it.

1. On Android, the date picker control of the reminder feature works well, there is a very nice control that looks like a circular radio dial (apparently the system won't let me type k-n-o-b ) that lets me quickly scroll forward and backwards to pick a date. But on Windows, the set date feature of the reminder is very poorly designed, it looks like MS Outlook c. 1996 :-[ So my request is to make the reminder's date picker control work more like the one in Android.  Along those lines: In EN for Windows, the date picker control looks like a calendar, which is boring but reasonable, however, it has NO visual indication on the calendar indicating if a date has already been selected! The selected date, if any, should be highlighted; also, today's date should be highlighted (if visible); Also, there should be controls (and keyboard shortcuts) to move the reminder 1 day forward/back, 1 week forward/back, shortcuts to jump to today, tomorrow, etc.

2. Also, there should be default settings for the reminder feature. If I set a reminder for a date without specifying the time, it currently picks the current time as default. I'd like an option to have it default the time to the start of my day (e.g. 9 am, but that start of day would be defined in an options screen someplace).

3. There needs to be a slick, ergonomic snooze feature in case you can't deal with the reminder right when it pops up.  Reminders need to be persistent, without being too demanding an interruption.  That means if a reminder pops up and you can't deal with it at that very moment, you need a snooze because you don't want to stress your memory to remember about the reminder that you dismissed without fully processing the item! I understand snooze could be controversial, so just make it a feature you can disable.  

4. Finally, a request that I DIDN'T mention in chat, but which would be great:  Reminders should be a searchable attribute, just like tags. So one could search for reminder:true/false, reminder:past/today/future or reminder:[timespan] where timespan could be X hours/days/weeks in the past/future, and finally why not reminder:[daterange]
Others - please add, comment, criticize.

I'm not sure what "fine" points you are talking about.  As I indicted in my post to OP, the issues he raised are simply a user not understanding how to use the software.  These are not bugs or missing features.

@jefito,

Thanks.  Turns out I did find the syntax for searching for reminders, probably thanks to the link in your sig on one of the other posts I found later that night. I look forward to giving those attributes the torture test.

@BurgersNFries

I interpreted the OP as a feature request, since the features he pointed out are still not present on my client and I can see why logically an argument could be advanced that they should be there (as well as arguments against it...).  Also, I didn't see any discussion on this post showing that he was using the client wrong.  Unless my browser is fubar, the only post I can see from you on this topic is a repost of the OP's screen grabs? What did I miss that should have clued me in that the OP's points were due to his not understanding the software?

Since I'd already put in a formal feature request via chat, my purpose in posting was to encourage brainstorming about this possible feature set.  Therefore it didn't seem to me to make sense to start my own post when there was a recent post that seemed to me to kick off the discussion.

Is there a more appropriate place for me to join in that discussion other than here?

@Both: Thanks for your help, as always.

@jefito,

Thanks.  Turns out I did find the syntax for searching for reminders, probably thanks to the link in your sig on one of the other posts I found later that night. I look forward to giving those attributes the torture test.

@BurgersNFries

I interpreted the OP as a feature request, since the features he pointed out are still not present on my client and I can see why logically an argument could be advanced that they should be there (as well as arguments against it...).  Also, I didn't see any discussion on this post showing that he was using the client wrong.  Unless my browser is fubar, the only post I can see from you on this topic is a repost of the OP's screen grabs? What did I miss that should have clued me in that the OP's points were due to his not understanding the software?

Since I'd already put in a formal feature request via chat, my purpose in posting was to encourage brainstorming about this possible feature set.  Therefore it didn't seem to me to make sense to start my own post when there was a recent post that seemed to me to kick off the discussion.

Is there a more appropriate place for me to join in that discussion other than here?

@Both: Thanks for your help, as always.

My replies to the OP, explaining how he is not using the app correctly, are in the screen caps.

Archived