Automatically editing notes based on reminder

HikariWS

Hello guys.

I've read about GTD and am starting to use Evernote to help me handle my tasks.

I used http://lifehacker.com/5892905/the-secret-weapon-combines-gtd-and-evernote-into-one-synchronized-productivity-system tutorial to create tags to manage notes.

The only thing I'm missing, is a way to better handle timely tasks. Let's say I have a doctor meeting scheduled for a given day and time. When I schedule it, I'll put it into 'Later', 'Waiting' or even a 'Scheduled' tag.

What I'd like, is that when the scheduled day come, that note to be moved from that tag to the 'Now' tag.

The benefit of it is that I can keep future tasks out of my view, all together in a specific tag, and at the same time not need to waste time keeping track of the day I'll have to handle them, because it will be handled for me.

I've seen some apps that integrate Evernote to Google Calendar, but that's not what I want. I can keep it all inside Evernote. What I want is an app to check dialy for reminders, and add notes to a given tag when tueir reminder date is today.

As a minor feature, it would also be cool to have notes scheduled for current week to be added to a second tag, just to remember me something is coming.

Anyone knows an app that does something like that?

ALAIK it doesn't. As I tried it, it shows a quic popup when due date and time comes, then I never see about it again.

What I'd like is the note to move from a tag to another (in dev POV, be added to a tag and removed from another). And also, it should happen in start of the day, regardless of the time.

ALAIK it doesn't. As I tried it, it shows a quic popup when due date and time comes, then I never see about it again.

What I'd like is the note to move from a tag to another (in dev POV, be added to a tag and removed from another). And also, it should happen in start of the day, regardless of the time.

There are many excellent ToDo apps that handle this and other GTD workflows with aplomb.  _My personal opinion_ is that trying to implement GTD on Evernote is like trying to make breakfast with mittens on.  It's do-able, but I can't imagine ever becoming efficient that way, and I can't see the charm of not using a dextrous ToDo app.

Evernote's forte is storage and retrieval of text-based data.  It's calendar-ing functions are only one step above most file managers.

lol nice points

In fact, I'm currently using Conqu for it. It's great for GTD handling, but not so good for storing notes and it takes too much space and also haven't been being updated with new features. I don't wanna use both and I read some GTD implementaton on EN, so I decided to do the swich. EN has the advantage of replacing Backburner for more containers, like Soon, Later and Someday.

TSW is a good template. The issue I have is handling tasks that are scheduled. I know very well GTD is gainst it, but as the example I pointed, there ARE tasks that will happen in a given time, like a meeting.

As I'm testing, I'm also facing the issue of moving a note from (example) Next no Now and it remaining in Next. It would be good if it was removed automatically. I may enhance TSW by moving When containers to Notebooks.

Well I've tried some other alternatives too. Evernote+TSW, Todoist, Trello and Nozbe.

Trello is easy to adapt to GTD but it also doesn't move tasks on due date. Todoist seems to be just a todo-list. Nozbe seems to be cool, I'll take a look later.

None at all beat Conqu in GTD ground. I can live without Soon-Later-Someday containers but I use Conqu in the right way.

I've been using Conqu to add notes that must be shared thru home and work, Now with my Galaxy Note 3, I may just use Evernote for that, removing bloat stuff from Conqu and making it more efficient.

I will also try some Brain Mapping solutions for heavy note taking, but I will probably remain in EN. EN + Conqu will probably fit 98% of my needs.

Hey HikariWS - Have you tried making something more custom using a site like IFTTT or Zapier? Or Taskclone integrates Evernote with a number of popular to do lists so you might find a to do list app there that accomplishes what you need. Also look at Gneo, if you are on iOS. It's a bit buggy, but definitely integrated with Evernote - creates a notebook/ tag setup, and Evertaskz has really good tag handling, but is very basic. 

I find that most of my best integrations are integrating other integrations. Good luck. :)

Well I've tried some other alternatives too. Evernote+TSW, Todoist, Trello and Nozbe.

Trello is easy to adapt to GTD but it also doesn't move tasks on due date. Todoist seems to be just a todo-list. Nozbe seems to be cool, I'll take a look later.

None at all beat Conqu in GTD ground. I can live without Soon-Later-Someday containers but I use Conqu in the right way.

I've been using Conqu to add notes that must be shared thru home and work, Now with my Galaxy Note 3, I may just use Evernote for that, removing bloat stuff from Conqu and making it more efficient.

I will also try some Brain Mapping solutions for heavy note taking, but I will probably remain in EN. EN + Conqu will probably fit 98% of my needs.

lol yes it's very fun to integrate apps, I'd like to have time to develop some!

All I really need is a note to be moved from one tag to another in begining of its due date.

I'll stick with Conqu for that, it's powerful. If I can use Evernote to handle notes that aren't tasks that require action, I'll leave Conqu top efficient for tasks that require action.

And for knowledge base I'm thinking if I remain in Brain Mapping or if EN can do that for me.

I found it!

Zapier does the trick nicely!

With 1 zap I can copy a EN note reminder to Google Calendar as soon as the note is synced with EN server.

And with another zap I can copy a GCalendar event to EN as a note reminder... and it only happens when it gets to 1 day before the event's begin date! :D

I have more tests to do but it looks great!!

It's been working great for these few days.

For any big text I wanna be reminded, I add it to Evernote with a reminder, and it's moved to GCalender.

And for any scheduled task I add to GCalendar, inclusive recurring ones that require repeated reminders. They are all set and organized on GCalendar and copied to EN.

I also installed Business Calendar on my Android. It syncs with GCalendar and I can edit it from my phone. It has a widget that shows first 3 tasks from today or tomorrow. If there's no task soon, it remains empty not bloating me with stuff I still can't act on.

That's great. Because if I always have tasks listed, I may not notice when they are close to happen. In the way it works, I know that if something shows up it's because it's close and need attention.

Archived