Linked Notes on the iPad

For what it's worth, I am developing an iPad app that allows you to store, view, and retrieve data by notelinks (or something very similar to note links).  My app runs on top of Evernote of course.  Let's say you are looking at Note A, and you want to establish a notelink with Note X.  You would:

1. Search for Note X
  2. Slide it on top of Note A.
  3. Finished.  There is now a database record showing a 1-to-1 relationship between A and X. 

So let's say you've linked Note A to 10 other notes.  In the icon for Note A you would see the number 10 next to a LinkView button.  You would tap on the LinkView button and all the notes linked to Note A would be displayed.

My app synchronizes with Evernote.  So let's say you linked Note A and Note X in my app.  The next time it synchs, it would go into Note A in Evernote and place an internal note link for Note X at the bottom of Note A, and vice versa.

Thoughts?

• Level 5*

For what it's worth, I am developing an iPad app that allows you to store, view, and retrieve data by notelinks (or something very similar to note links).  My app runs on top of Evernote of course.  Let's say you are looking at Note A, and you want to establish a notelink with Note X.  You would:

• Search for Note X
  • Slide it on top of Note A.
  • Finished.  There is now a database record showing a 1-to-1 relationship between A and X. 
So let's say you've linked Note A to 10 other notes.  In the icon for Note A you would see the number 10 next to a LinkView button.  You would tap on the LinkView button and all the notes linked to Note A would be displayed.

My app synchronizes with Evernote.  So let's say you linked Note A and Note X in my app.  The next time it synchs, it would go into Note A in Evernote and place an internal note link for Note X at the bottom of Note A, and vice versa.

Thoughts?

Sounds cool in theory. In practice, would there be a note link to click within the note? Otherwise, I'm not sure how you would navigate. I'm going to break this conversation off into its own thread, though, because it is a third-party app discussion, and it is actually quite different than the OP's topic, which was about anchors within notes.

• Evernote Expert

Hi, I like your concept regarding notelinks, considering that they are one of the high points of Evernote. However, please clarify me one issue

Do the notes get cached locally to your app through the device , or are they transferred via an network to your server, and from there downloaded to your app in the ipad?

• 2 months later...

It looks like Grumpy Monkey has moved this thread into Third Party Apps, which is fine.  In the transition I lost track of the post, but I'm happy to answer the old questions.

To answer GrumpyMonkey's question, yes, there will be a note link to click within each note.  That's a really cool feature of the app that saves quite a few steps in creating note links in your respective notes.  BUT...that's not how you would navigate.  The visual navigation is the key to the whole app and that will take place in Ganeeza (working code name, but not the final application name).

Evernote is awesome for storing and finding stuff, but like all databases, its important to have some idea when and how you are going to use your notes.  The answer to the questions when and how are the basis for the tags and notebooks that you use.  

But when it comes to thoughts, Ideas, inspirations, trains of thought, etc. databases don't really work very well.  For that stuff it's all about how things fit together.  We don't search for things or page through lists in our own minds; one idea just naturally leads to another based on how we experienced them.  Those "experiences" are the links you make between notes.

The only way this app will succeed is if we get the visual presentation right.  We've made a million decisions about how we are going to present the notes, and I think we've come up with some really great stuff.

Archived