Philip A

Text Collapse

Idea

Yes, they have undertaken a huge task and I know that simple is a relative term.
They are rolling out all the time with new features, so I guess they are more than able to handle it  :)

• Like 2

Being not immediately simple doesn't mean it can't be done.

Think of how useful this feature becomes when using Evernote's presentation mode: it clearly helps to make information easier to digest when looking at the main headlines, whereas you could focus only on the collapsed details in case the appropriate audience needs to know. Among the huge benefits of this functionality is time saving as you will not need to rework the information every time your audience changes, as is usually required in the case of standard document and presentation apps such as text editors, PowerPoint and Keynote. Collapsable bullet points bring the best of both worlds of bullet lists, mind maps and/or OPML applications to the fore.

For the sake of getting a better understanding of how well this concept works and to get a grasp of its usefulness, please, take a look at http://www.workflowy.com or their instructional videos.

Evernote coding team, I have every faith in your ability to bring this about and I am genuinely grateful for it. Keep up that excellent work you have been doing and feel proud of what you have achieved

• Like 5

Hey,

I would like to make a feature request for evernote to implement a text collapse, as seen in coding software such as Dreamweaver.

The idea is to make it a little bit easier to organise long lists.

Simply mark the desired text, collapse it and then you're able to toggle on and off and eventually remove the collapse when you don't need it anymore.

Here's a picture I found: 

http://www.creativepro.com/files/story_images/20050926_expand.jpg

It's a really simple feature, but it would make my Evernote life easier!

Philip A

Yes, I have been waiting for this feature for a while...it would be really really helpful! 

• Like 1

Feature Request: I dont know where to submit feaure requests, so i sent it through here. Evernote's notetaking capabilitites are amazing and versatile. Within the text note, users can create outlines with the bullet feature. I would like to see a new feature where after users create bullets, indented bullets, and sub-bullets, users are able to collapse and expand the indented bullets in order to create a more simplified view of the their created outline document.

• Like 2

+1 from me, too. I use a packing list for travel, and have several different sections based on the type of trip. I'd like to collapse the types that aren't currently relevant.

Thanks for considering.

Jay

• Like 1

Collapsible list items are one thing I miss from Omnioutliner. On many topics -- from business strategy to research -- I frequently have the need to embed details into my note. Collapsible list items would allow me to do this while retaining the ability to collapse the details to see the big picture.

• Like 2

+1 - is someone from the Evenote team watching this thread? This feature has been asked for for years now.

+1

The lack of this feature is literally the single driving factor for me to switch to Workflowy

It's a really simple feature...

..Not necessarily if you have to take apart an existing product to shoehorn the code in somewhere...  but it would be kinda nice.  Wikitext also has this option to show / hide lists.  I miss Wikis.

• Like 1

+1, though I'd much rather see this functionality implemented as true electronic outlining (expand/collapse any item to show/hide its children) in the Note body.

Be aware that one of Evernote strengths — that it works as seamlessly as possible on multiple operating systems — means that almost nothing is simple to implement.  "Get dressed" may seem simple.  It gets less simple when spoken to children.  Now imagine a room full of people of all ages from all over the world, each speaking a different language.  That's the task Evernote has undertaken.

• Like 6

Yes, they have undertaken a huge task and I know that simple is a relative term.

They are rolling out all the time with new features, so I guess they are more than able to handle it  :)

And they have a revenue stream any business would envy   ;) .  Afaict.

• Like 1

This is fine. Evernote staffers will read it and put it on the list; I'm pretty sure that it's there already, as this has been requested before. When/whether they'll actually implement it is up to them, though.

• Like 1

Feature Request: I dont know where to submit feaure requests, so i sent it through here. Evernote's notetaking capabilitites are amazing and versatile. Within the text note, users can create outlines with the bullet feature. I would like to see a new feature where after users create bullets, indented bullets, and sub-bullets, users are able to collapse and expand the indented bullets in order to create a more simplified view of the their created outline document.

requests are always welcome, of course, but i will go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be implemented this decade, if ever. they just entirely rewrote the editor for mac without this feature, and the changes have yet to percolate out to the other platforms (as i understand it), so i wouldn't be holding my breath. it's a cool feature to have, of course, but i think it might be best to consider the editor as a fairly basic tool.

• Like 1

Hey, it's great getting out in front and getting all the cool stuff, until you're lying in the mud with arrows in your back. I'm ok with waiting a bit for the common editor.  :)

• Like 1

I quit holding my breath with Evernote a long time ago.  I have also learned that it is very risky to predict what they might, or might not do next.   ;)  But I am still hoping that Evernote will someday soon provide enhanced editing features.  I'm NOT asking for a full-featured editor like MS Word, just more basics that we see in a lot of other HTML editors.

Evernote CEO Phil Libin did say about a month or so ago that Evernote provides a "polished" writing experience.

Who knows what he means by "polished", but I haven't found anyone yet that believes that.

Now, I'm not sure whether that is good news or bad news.  If he really believes it is polished, maybe he thinks what we have is good enough.  Or maybe he was talking future tense, and wants to make it polished.  

Who knows???

. . . i will go out on a limb and say that this will probably not be implemented this decade, if ever. they just entirely rewrote the editor for mac without this feature, and the changes have yet to percolate out to the other platforms (as i understand it), so i wouldn't be holding my breath. it's a cool feature to have, of course, but i think it might be best to consider the editor as a fairly basic tool.

• Like 4

Hey,

I would like to make a feature request for evernote to implement a text collapse, as seen in coding software such as Dreamweaver.

Simply mark the desired text, collapse it and then you're able to toggle on and off and eventually remove the collapse when you don't need it anymore.

Philip A

Is there a status on this?

Does Evernote use uservoice? Or another method of indicating to users what features are being considered or worked on?

Hi.  Evernote don't (usually) comment publicly on anything that may or may not be in development,  nor do they forecast release dates.  The topic has been raised,  so it will have been noted by Evernote.  When or whether it will be released at some stage is entirely up to them...

Hi Jay and Dave,

As Gazumped pointed out a few posts back, there's no way to tell when or IF such a feature will ever be implemented by Evernote. Folks have been asking for a collapsible outlining ability for years now and there's still no indication that it's under consideration for future releases.

In fact, over the last year their company focus seems to be gearered more than ever towards the corparate world. If you look at the Evernote.com website, you'll notice the "Remember Everything" as their tagline has been dropped in favour of promoting EN Accounts as a Virtual Workstation, with an emphasis on collaboration through use of Chat Feature options.

That's not to say they've deprecated the app's notetaking ability or completely dropped the notion of using EN as a virtual filing cabinet for all your digital data. They've de-emphasised filing cabinet metaphor, but it still functions as such.

My best suggestion in both your cases is to take a look at WorkFlowy, a free, online outliner app that has the ability to collapse and expand text and lists. They've been around for years and come highly recommended by other users on this forum. WorkFlowly also intergrates nicely with Evernote. Below is a the link to their sign-up page:

https://workflowy.com/

This below is one of many user made videos available on YouTube, showing some of the cool things you can do with WorkFlowy.

WorkFlowy: How to Stay Productive and Get More Done, by Eric Heavilin:

http://youtu.be/Oo8grkujGd8

Hope this helps!

Collapsible list items are one thing I miss from Omnioutliner. On many topics -- from business strategy to research -- I frequently have the need to embed details into my note. Collapsible list items would allow me to do this while retaining the ability to collapse the details to see the big picture.

+1 from me, too. I use a packing list for travel, and have several different sections based on the type of trip. I'd like to collapse the types that aren't currently relevant.

Thanks for considering.

Jay

• Like 2

I would so so so love this feature.  I've been a longtime paid Evernote user and it's the main reason I have to use other note apps. Expanding/collapsing text/outlines is SUCH a more sane way to handle clutter and focus attention.  Websites this use this feature rock (i.e. Here's our 5 options --simple choice --you click one and get expanded paragraph) and I LOVE using it in Cloud Outliner (though just checked out the above recommended Workflowy...looks very cool. Offline though?)

Thanks!

-Leif

• Like 1

As a devoted Premium subscriber whose workflow relies heavily on Evernote, there is literally no feature I want more than this. 

• Like 4

+1 on this request! For my power information user friends, this is the single biggest feature issue with Evernote as a primary workspace for people who manage information. Workflowy's model just works better for many areas... I like Evernote's outlining functionality, but adding collapse/expand would be a huge improvement for me. I'm a deeply committed Evernote user (paying, have the Fuji scanner, about 4k notes, I develop using the API, etc.) and yet I end up using Workflowy for many areas of research!

• Like 1

Collapsing bullets is a big reason why I still use Onenote for much of my "in depth" notes and I use Evernote for snippets of information. For code and configs, I use notepad++ since they also allow collapsing (known as folding in Notepad++).

Evernote, please implement collapsing bullets or folding or whatever name you would like to use to describe it. Thank you.

• Like 1

You know, I hope so. I started this thread a very long time ago and it's sort of disappointing that it hasn't been addressed by staff yet.

I would also like this feature. In fact, I just googled it and arrived here at this thread. It is nearly the anniversary of this thread, but I'm hopeful...

• Like 1

Perhaps because the most popular comment at the very beginning of the request includes "collapsible sections" and that likely influences people.. it is why I voted that up.  I don't spend lots of time here, and google sent me to that page, I agreed and voted it up in part because of the "collapsible sections" comment by one of the other "Gurus".  So, perhaps the Evernote team are not getting an accurate measure of the interest regarding this collapse feature... because some are voting for it on that thread, as much as they are bookmarks, rather than this thread.

I understand it isn't part of the original request, but obviously now it is prominent, and part of what people are noticing... at least it was for me and I might not be the only one. I have always been interested in both features. At first glance that thread seemed to reinforce my desire for both features.  I don't spend time here browsing through everything and making sure there isn't crossover.. maybe some moderators should do that.

Inline Tags _ Create Anchor Points in Notes - Evernote Feature Requests - Everno-2018-01-24 11_54.png

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

An Evernote Note can contain content of any format.
Check out word processing software like MS Word.

Thanks I'm aware of that. I add Google Docs, Word Docs, PSD files, marked-up PDFs, you name it. Like I mentioned, I've been using this product for years and have used it to the fullest of it's potential. Nevertheless, a text collapse feature, like what is now standard UI on the web would be a wonderful addition to an already wonderful product. It's important enough to me that I took the time to honestly contribute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CraigD said:

Dear Evernote Dev Team,

I am an long-time Evernote Premium user, fan and advocate. It is part of my daily workflow, for hours per day I might add. You guys have done a wonderful job with this product and my hat goes off to you... However, this feature would be HUGE to me, and apparently many others. PLEASE consider adding this feature sooner than later. As mentioned, I am loyal but I have begun to research alternatives that would offer this feature. I really don't want to switch though. just being honest :) You guys rock!!!

Best Regards, Craig

CollapsableTextFeature.gif.cd6d39bef755a4e56691bb39cbb1a88f.gif

It's clearly a must-have feature (already available in Onenote by the way). I'd "Plus" it twice if I could.

• Like 1

Although I'd still LOVE the text collapse feature, here's what I'm using as a compromise... meh...

Inline-Collape.jpg

• Like 1

This is primarily a user forum, if you have a direct question and would like a direct answer then you should open a support ticket.

++++++++1 For business people must!

Thank you so much for such a great product. I use it every day.

I have a business plan as a list of milestones, but I also want to write down more details/subgoals/todos for each milestone. Would be awesome to have an ability to expand and collapse these todos, so I can easily switch between whole and detailed picture quickly.

Evernote has everything what I need to be efficient with task planning activities, except this feature. 

Let’s make it the best Goal management tool!
  • Like 1

Hope,  I believe they say,  springs eternal - which is just as well because that's also the way Evernote's development schedule seems to work sometimes...  meantime there are lots of useful outliners around that will do a similar job - like Workflowy.

Here is a thread with essentially the same request, but since it is in the Windows Feedback forum, you can vote for it:

Collapsible / Expandable Outlines within Notes 

If you want this feature, then you may want to go to the top of the page of that thread, and click the Up Vote button:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

Unfortunately, we still cannot vote in the General Discussion forum.

+1 Please add this feature so I do not have to use OneNote when taking notes on more complex topics. This single fearture has caused me to consider moving fully to Onenote multiple times over the years and so far the paucity of the Onenote iPhone app as stopping me from fully switching. Thank You

• Like 1

I too:

1. Would love this feature

2. Am surprised that, some five years after this request was first mentioned on the thread mentioned by Guru above, the feature is not yet available

What Neil said. It's pretty surprising that this feature is not yet available. The number of posts in this thread is also weird.

I suppose that since people aren't exactly clamoring for this feature it's not at the top of the Evernote team's priority list, but it would be immensely useful.

OK - I moved this to a Feature Request thread  so we can collect votes.  I agree collapsible text would be a nice feature,  but there are already dozens of apps that do this just fine,  and I use Workflowy which works for me.  I don't see this as being a high priority though,  unless it falls in with Evernote's ongoing project to make the editor better...

Edit:  Apologies in advance that this sits in the Windows area - there isn't a general 'all OS' option yet,  but I'm taking it that everyone wants this to apply to ALL Evernote clients. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I agree collapsible text would be a nice feature,  but there are already dozens of apps that do this just fine

and adding one more would be even finer :)

I believe there is another feature request thread out there for this and as I recall it was one of the higher voted ones.  Another reason why it would be nice to have a central location for these client independent requests.

• Like 2

Thanks, gazumped. This is great news! I heart this feature and see it giving me an option to organize notes in an awesome way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

but there are already dozens of apps that do this just fine,

Perhaps so, but having other apps that do this but are NOT tightly integrated with Evernote is if little, actually, no, help.
We don't want just this one feature.  We want it along with all of the other Evernote features.

Having this feature directly in Evernote would be a huge benefit.

• Like 4

+1.  I use bulleted lists all the time in Evernote for lists/outlining. If they get longer than a "page" (what is visible on the screen at one time) or have more than a couple of levels of hierarchy it becomes a bear to try and read/write. You have to constantly scroll up/down to figure out where you are in the hierarchy. I've switched over to Workflowy for some of my lists, but I really wish I didn't have to have notes in multiple places. I have to constantly remind myself where it is. Did I put that in Workflowy or Evernote? This would seem to go against the Evernote brand tagline: Remember Everything. Please add this feature, Evernote! 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2016 at 7:36 AM, gazumped said:

Edit:  Apologies in advance that this sits in the Windows area - there isn't a general 'all OS' option yet,  but I'm taking it that everyone wants this to apply to ALL Evernote clients.

There is now. Fixed that for you, gaz. :) 

• Like 1

Huge +1 on this idea. I use Evernote Web frequently to take class notes or notes from textbooks and the resulting outlines can get huge and nearly unmanageable. Being able to collapse and expand list outlines would be an immense and welcome improvement. 

Another up vote!

I often save details like code and log file snippets that are essential to keep for reference, but I don't always want to scroll past them in the note. I put them at the end now, but it sure would be handy to place them in line/context where they belong.

As @JMichaelTX pointed out. 

There is a near identical request in the Windows Desktop Product Feedback  with +61 votes.

How many folks here would chip in for donuts to the development team that rolls this out? I know I would!

An excellent feature request! If this was implemented I'd immediately sign up for premium.

I would like to use Evernote for everything and don't like the idea of adding yet-another-thing to my ever growing list of productivity gizmos.

In a nutshell:
If possible, Evernote should try to implement a feature that allows u to hide and unhide sections by clicking on a headline.

Background:
I myself am a medical student, and when I write notes in Microbiology I typically make a notebook for that class, and notes on the bacterial genera (see screenshot). In these notes there are typically around 5 different bacteria with detailed descriptions about structure, clinical disease and so on. This arrangement works, but feels a bit overwhelming when I revisit my note. Too much information...

Solution:
However, if I could hide and unhide the different bacteria (by clicking on the 'headlines') it would make it so mush easier to review my notes and find the things i'm looking for.

Hope it makes sense. If implemented correctly I'm sure this could be a GREAT HELP for many users.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 12.50.54.png

+1 Every year for the last five years, I have been checking in to see whether this feature is available. It is also my one big reason for continuing to use Workflowy/OneNote and not adopting Evernote. I have several friends who feel the same. Please give us expand/collapse!

• Like 2

+1  This is probably the main thing holding me back from using evernote as a note taking app. This is SUCH a vital feature!

• Like 2

Moved to Evernote Feature Requests subforum. Now you can go ahead and upvote it...

• Like 3

On 24/11/2016 at 8:46 PM, jefito said:

Moved to Evernote Feature Requests subforum. Now you can go ahead and upvote it...

Thanks Jefito!

There's a chrome extension called "AlterNote Editor" that syncs with your evernote, and it has basic collapsing functionality. Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult for evernote to implement if a third party is able to do it. But hey, maybe there's some technical reason they're holding off on it.

29 minutes ago, pnewcomb said:

There's a chrome extension called "AlterNote Editor" that syncs with your evernote, and it has basic collapsing functionality. Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult for evernote to implement if a third party is able to do it. But hey, maybe there's some technical reason they're holding off on it.

I think having a kazillion other things already scheduled might be part of it...:)

Guys,

I too would really like this feature. Although it is not available explicitly, it looks like there is a workaround using the encryption feature.  When there is long section of text in my note that i would like to collapse, i select the text then choose "Encrypt selected text".  To view in the future just double click enter your encryption password to expand

• Like 1

I'm a self-employed producer/musician, I hold the fabric of my life together in the Evernote app (which was an ENORMOUS upgrade from Apple's Notes.) What I am dying for to appear in any notes program, is the ability to make a folder inside a note; I want to be able to, within a list I've made in a note for example, be able to click on one of my list items and it would drop down a text box where I've expanded on the idea that I've put in my list. I can not believe that it's 2016 and our organizational softwares are still one dimensional!! For me this would be a HUGE game changer in my ability to store ideas but still be able to look at the major points from a bulletpoint format. (read: without having to make a new note or some kind of complex table, just to write about a small point I've made in a note.)

If this is possible and I just don't understand how to do it, I humbly withdraw my comment. And please let me know how to do that! Let me know if I can be more clear, happy to expand on this idea. Do let me know if anybody else thinks this would be INFINITELY USEFUL!!!! 

Evernote with text collapsing will remove all other Outliner software. I read all threads, and noticed the original suggestion was made in 2014. Currently, I use multiple software, OmniOutliner (Mac), UV Outliner (Windows). If Evernote introduces the collapsing text feature, I will subtract all other software, and can totally focus on it. Because of shortage, I use Evernote only as a web clipper and simple note taker, which make me remained in free user state. The new feature will boost my usability, and finally make me sign in the premium feature. Thanks.

On 2016-12-29 at 4:26 PM, jamestakesnotes said:

What I am dying for to appear in any notes program, is the ability to make a folder inside a note; I want to be able to, within a list I've made in a note for example, be able to click on one of my list items and it would drop down a text box where I've expanded on the idea that I've put in my list.

fwiw  I create a new note (sub-note) and include a link in the master note
         The navigation arrows allow me to move back and forth
         For example: 
Project: aaaaaaaaaa                           (master note)
                               Project: aaaaaaaaaa - bbbbbbbbbb  (sub-note)

1 hour ago, TSung said:

The new feature will boost my usability, and finally make me sign in the premium feature.

If Evernote had a $ for every user that said .......

• Like 3

At the moment (still) clicking the up arrow (top left of page) in my Windows system doesn't add a vote.  If you find the same,  click down!

Are you able to add a feature where you can highlight and designate the highlighted for being collapsible and expandable with a +/- button?

Collapsed:

+ My Notes

Expanded:

- These are my notes
   I can expand and collapse this

3 hours ago, dmcmaste said:

Are you able to add a feature ...

Are they able to?  Sure.  Have they shown any interest in doing this?  Nope.

I would find this very useful as well.

Premium user here. I added my vote for a feature to extend sections of text to Evernote. This is something that adds a lot of clarity to my Confluence documents.

From what I can see. Over three years ago this "collapsible" outline capability has been requested. Can we at least get a hint that 

a. It will be satisfied ( and when) or

b. We better forget it.

Leon

18 hours ago, rogsonl said:

Can we at least get a hint that 

a. It will be satisfied ( and when)

No hints, we can only post requests and indicate our support by voting

>>b. We better forget it.

Personally, I carry on and work out how I can use features like "text collapse"
My approach is to switch to dedicated word processing apps that offer the feature.  I continue to file the documents in EN.

Someone at this forum suggested 'Workflowy' and soon I came to really love it. It is perfect for bullet point text writing and, of course, it has text collapse feature. You don't need to struggle with lots of document or scrolling long bullet point list any more. 

Currently, I mostly use Workflowy for bullet point writing and Evernote is just for scraping web pages or media things.. 

• Like 1

3 years later and now im looking for this!

Ive kind of found a work around (i dont know if this has been said already) but i found that encrypting selected text bunches it up into a single line with dots over it

Ive encrypted my Chapter 1 Summary notes and put a simple password like "open". Not checking "remember password" means that you can just click out of the note and back into it and its collapsed! Hope this helped!

Having two chapter summaries and lecture notes in the one note is annoying but i have to have it like that otherwise it ruins my system!  Hopefully the simpler hide/show box will be implemented soon.

+1 for text folding/collapse feature. Something like omnioutliner or folding text maybe?

Would be good if we can define the top and bottom area to fold.

Hi Gents,

Text Collapse: I think, technically, something is already available in Evernote, the "encryption" !!

Actually I was creating a note, and I was looking for a feature for collapsing a piece of text, that I would expand later only when I need to read the details, and also to give me a better overview of my complete note on one full screen space. I did not find the "collapse" feature (or "Expand" macro as it is called in "confluence"), but I remembered vaguely that I was using text encryption on evernote about one year ago, and that finally it was exactly acting as a "collapse", with the only difference being that for the "encryption" one needs a passphrase !!

So, for now I will use the text encryption just for my collapse/expand needs and will have to type the passphrase every time. what about simply make available similar function as encryption without "passphrase" and just call it "collapse" ??

Cheers

Pier

PS: sorry is this conversation was outdated or if another was better discussing this topic so that I may have not posting on the right place.

• Like 1

On 2017-06-25 at 9:40 PM, sorochinskijap said:

Still waiting.

Personally, I use editors that provide features I need

Evernote's editor is adequate for notes, but when I need word processing features, I use a dedicated WP app
Evernote works well with Office/iWork files as attachments to notes

I would propose to combine this feature with styles/markdown. If your implement Heading Styles, there could be a automatic possibility to collapse the respective section. Could be similar as document structure view in Word and very very helpful to organize long notes.

1 hour ago, Drexler Mathias said:

If your implement Heading Styles, there could be a automatic possibility to collapse the respective section.

I’m not getting the “automatic possiblity” part.  My understanding of the heading styles was for formatting purpose 

I meant clicking on headers could collapse the section below. Thereba you could structure your note by headers and collapse each one or expand it or select the level of headers, just like an outliner or the word functipn

22 hours ago, Drexler Mathias said:

I meant clicking on headers could collapse the section below. Thereba you could structure your note by headers and collapse each one or expand it or select the level of headers, just like an outliner or the word functipn

Hi.  I use Workflowy to keep outlines handy,  and flesh out / re-order content as necessary. 

Evernote does already provide the resources to do the same thing,  but the execution is a little clunky,  though perfectly usable...

1. Create a new (temporary) notebook for your project.  Add a new note for each main topic.  Add additional comments to the same notes,  or add new notes as required.
  2. Create a Table of Contents note from your notebook content.  This will give you a link to each note file.
  3. Re-order the ToC lines as necessary for your content - indent any child notes under their related parent note link
  4. Use the ToC note to manage your work,  adding content as necessary to each note,  and additional notes as necessary (manually add these links to your ToC in the correct place)
  5. Additional features like copy and merge notes may be hepful here too...
  6. When you're finished,  select all notes and print.  (I'd do that to a file,  then open the output file with Word and add more style)

It's a possibility.  ;)

23 hours ago, Drexler Mathias said:

I meant clicking on headers could collapse the section below.

As a work around, I make use of “subnotes”.  This is similar to @gazumped’s TOC

The main Note contains  links to the subnotes.  Use the navigation keys to move back to the main note

On 4/9/2014 at 1:37 AM, Philip A said:

Hey,

Philip A

This would be super useful for me as well!

Good idea. What’s the closest thing to Evernote that has this?

13 minutes ago, bounce said:

What’s the closest thing to Evernote that has this?

For outlines and other word processing features, I use MS Word, and add the document as an attachment to a note; Evernote works well with office/iwork documents

19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

For outlines and other word processing features, I use MS Word, and add the document as an attachment to a note; Evernote works well with office/iwork documents

Sure, that’s one way. I've always tried to keep everything within a note with no attachments. Works better for my brain and the speed of Evernote unless the latter has changed over the years?

Closest app to Evernote that has this feature?

8 minutes ago, bounce said:

Sure, that’s one way. I've always tried to keep everything within a note with no attachments. Works better for my brain and the speed of Evernote unless the latter has changed over the years?

Closest app to Evernote that has this feature?

The web app Workflowy has the best implementation that I've seen so far.  https://workflowy.com/

• Like 2

On 2017-11-28 at 9:13 AM, bounce said:

I've always tried to keep everything within a note with no attachments.

You're really limited if you restrict yourself to the Evernote editor and format.  I encourage all users to make use of the attachment feature.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:40 PM, DTLow said:

Youkre really limited if you restrict yourself to the Evernote editor and format.  I encourage all users to make use of the attachment feature.

Actually, for me, note links to other notes are far superior to attachments. Those need an overhaul though, per suggestions from another thread.

1 hour ago, bounce said:

Actually, for me, note links to other notes are far superior to attachments. Those need an overhaul though, per suggestions from another thread.

Don't agree with being superior, but I do make use of note links; my notes are heavily cross-referenced

And the note links can be a method of simulating the text collapse requested in this discussion (think Table of Contents)