ajschmidt

Text Collapse [Outlining]

Idea

Internal note links is another way to handle this type of situation (in this case, at the very top of the note, you'd have internal note links: "Today", "This Week", "This Month", etc.), and is something that has been requested for years.

This is primarily a user forum, if you have a direct question and would like a direct answer then you should open a support ticket.

++++++++1 For business people must!

Thank you so much for such a great product. I use it every day.

I have a business plan as a list of milestones, but I also want to write down more details/subgoals/todos for each milestone. Would be awesome to have an ability to expand and collapse these todos, so I can easily switch between whole and detailed picture quickly.

Evernote has everything what I need to be efficient with task planning activities, except this feature. 

Let’s make it the best Goal management tool!
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I just moved this thread to the Windows Feedback forum so we can vote on it.

If you want this feature, then you need to go to the top of this page and click on the UpVote arrow:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

• Like 1

Hope,  I believe they say,  springs eternal - which is just as well because that's also the way Evernote's development schedule seems to work sometimes...  meantime there are lots of useful outliners around that will do a similar job - like Workflowy.

Here is a thread with essentially the same request, but since it is in the Windows Feedback forum, you can vote for it:

Collapsible / Expandable Outlines within Notes 

If you want this feature, then you may want to go to the top of the page of that thread, and click the Up Vote button:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png.eaf9c6c8398a8943a7e

Unfortunately, we still cannot vote in the General Discussion forum.

Of course 1000000 x !

really love Evenote but have to use Omnifocus in parallel because of this gap ! I think we really need a Collapsible / Expandable outlines within Notes, & the same for notebooks, having the possibility to make sub notebooks !

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matthewzzz said:

Of course 1000000 x !

Don't know what that means.  Did you vote?

Did anyone find any note taking app that does this since it seems like Evernote may not come out with this feature anytime soon (it's been 3 years).

21 hours ago, JL said:

Did anyone find any note taking app that does this since it seems like Evernote may not come out with this feature anytime soon (it's been 3 years).

It has been a while, but no. Recently I tried OneNote by MIcrosoft, but there is no tag system in the app. Also it's kinda weird since they are trying to make it as actual notebook. Anyway, I finished getting back to Evernote. I really wish that Evernote team clarify if this proposed feature can be done or not.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:41 PM, JMichaelTX said:

Hey guys, I just moved this thread to the Windows Feedback forum so we can vote on it.

If you want this feature, then you need to go to the top of this page and click on the UpVote arrow:

EN-Forum-Up-Vote.png

lol I didn't know that. It's been a while since I have read this threat again. Voted!

We have numbering and bullets. It would be way cool to be able to collapse, expand, and move around branches of information a la an outline.

• Like 1

Cloud Outliner connects and interfaces with Evernote. What you shuffle around in one affects changes in the other. So you'll want to do your shuffling around in Cloud Outliner. 

There's now a 3rd-party WorkFlowy app called HandyFlowy, which exports outlines to Evernote... But it's a one-way deal... and it only exports visible/ expanded lists.

1 hour ago, Frank.dg said:

Cloud Outliner connects and interfaces with Evernote. What you shuffle around in one affects changes in the other. So you'll want to do your shuffling around in Cloud Outliner. 

There's now a 3rd-party WorkFlowy app called HandyFlowy, which exports outlines to Evernote... But it's a one-way deal... and it only exports visible/ expanded lists.

Interesting that Cloud Outliner doesn't work in the cloud! I don't have a Mac but it looks pretty nice. I'd really much rather it just be embedded in Evernote though!

Thanks,

• Like 1

+1 Please add this feature so I do not have to use OneNote when taking notes on more complex topics. This single fearture has caused me to consider moving fully to Onenote multiple times over the years and so far the paucity of the Onenote iPhone app as stopping me from fully switching. Thank You

• Like 1

I too:

1. Would love this feature

2. Am surprised that, some five years after this request was first mentioned on the thread mentioned by Guru above, the feature is not yet available

+1 for me. I've really come to like how Evernote keeps me on track with my projects. But having too many details that are important, but aren't required to be visible all the time can complicate my workflow. 

could create separate notes for each and every item that I would like to collapse and create links to them from one main/master note, but I get weary about creating so many micro-notes that they get lost in the shuffle. Expand/Collapse sections would be super handy to keep major themes in one, core note.

If we were able to collapse parts of a note, especially in long notes, would be very useful.

Doesnt any one agree?

is it possible to add that to Evernote?

• Like 1

Others, including me, agree.  FWIW you can vote on the feature request here.

I prefer to stick with short notes.

Long notes are more difficult to search. First I have to do a standard Evernote search for the term, then a 2nd search inside the long note using Ctrl F. Short notes are much more efficient and easier to use.

If I need a collapsible format, I use WorkFlowy.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

Long notes are more difficult to search

I have not found search for these longer notes to be much of an issue.  A few times I have needed to use Ctrl F but I can usually scan the note pretty quick to find what I need.

Notes do not need to be that long for this to be a useful feature.  My main use case is for a development meeting that I run.  I have one note per meeting that is projected to a group.  It would be impractical, even with note links, to break this into smaller notes.  Each note includes the history of the prior meetings and each entry is date coded.  I would use this feature to collapse all sections of the note that do not pertain to the current meeting.  It would allow us to better focus on what is most important that meeting.  I would also use it in other notes to temporarily hide information that may not be of primary importance.  Again, a way to focus on the main points. 

Workflowy is a great tool.  I've used it as well but would still prefer to see the function built into Evernote.  At least into the desktop clients.

This post describes it better than I just did.

Edited by s2sailor
  • Like 1

I would also love this feature! Probably my top request at this point. There are so many potential uses for it.

What Neil said. It's pretty surprising that this feature is not yet available. The number of posts in this thread is also weird.

I suppose that since people aren't exactly clamoring for this feature it's not at the top of the Evernote team's priority list, but it would be immensely useful.

I started using Workflowy for this exact reason as well.  I'm using Evernote less now because of this.  And I'm having to pay for two services.  Really frustrating.  Would highly prefer that Evernote would implement collapsible lists.  

OK - I moved this to a Feature Request thread  so we can collect votes.  I agree collapsible text would be a nice feature,  but there are already dozens of apps that do this just fine,  and I use Workflowy which works for me.  I don't see this as being a high priority though,  unless it falls in with Evernote's ongoing project to make the editor better...

Edit:  Apologies in advance that this sits in the Windows area - there isn't a general 'all OS' option yet,  but I'm taking it that everyone wants this to apply to ALL Evernote clients. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I agree collapsible text would be a nice feature,  but there are already dozens of apps that do this just fine

and adding one more would be even finer :)

I believe there is another feature request thread out there for this and as I recall it was one of the higher voted ones.  Another reason why it would be nice to have a central location for these client independent requests.

• Like 2

Thanks, gazumped. This is great news! I heart this feature and see it giving me an option to organize notes in an awesome way.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

but there are already dozens of apps that do this just fine,

Perhaps so, but having other apps that do this but are NOT tightly integrated with Evernote is if little, actually, no, help.
We don't want just this one feature.  We want it along with all of the other Evernote features.

Having this feature directly in Evernote would be a huge benefit.

• Like 4

Hey evernote team,

during working for my mainjob i had to use everday lotus notes.
i got a lots of ToDo-List. for giving the users a better overview in their lists, the developers inlcuded "sections"
now i could create headlines where its possible to subordinate the text below. with a klick this text is poping up or fade out.

the tables in evernote are really great, but with an long list i have to scroll to many to find the information i need at this moment.
with "sections" i could display me only the important headlines and by clicking on it the text below pops up.

for better understanding i put you some pictures als attachmend.

hope you could unterstand my german-english :D
im open for question - just send me an mail or answer here.

section 1.jpg

section 2.jpg

section 3.jpg

• Like 1

Here's two possible workarounds:

1. Have each section as a separate note and then pull the whole thing together by creating a table of contents note. It's not exactly what you wanted and the main disadvantage is that you need to recreate the TOC note each time you add a new note. 
  2. Another similar approach is to have separate notes again and tag each one with the same tag. Searching for that tag (I suggest saving the search to make it just one click) would pull up all the notes. You could then easily click the one you wanted, especially if you organise notes alphabetically by title. This would be my preferred option. 

I think Evernote works best when you have notes which are just little chunks of information and then create the hierarchy though tags, notebooks or tables of contents. It doesn't really create structures within a note.

Add your vote to the thread above, which discusses the same request

Notelinks are the way to go to replicate this sort of organization. Yes, in Evernote that will mean separate notes, but the effect will be the same.

6 hours ago, Candid said:

but the effect will be the same.

Not necessarity, It depends on your use case.  As an example, I have a weekly status note where I keep track of different topics and provide dated entries in each.  This note gets presented to a group of people.  I would love to be able to collapse any entries that are not important for that particular meeting to help provide focus on the issues that do need to be discussed.  This could be duplicated with many separate notes and links but manuevering through that live in front of a group would be very messy.  Much similar to be able to just collapse or expand sections as needed.

It strikes me that @JayPii81's request is very close to an "outlining" function much like MS Word's for Evernote. It's not there, yet.

Here's another approach with the current version of Evernote:

• Convert your "section" names to Evernote Note Titles.
  • Place (or leave) your information below the "section" names in the body of the Notes.

Then, you can look at a "Note List" to see what you call "sections" and then click on the name of one and see the subordinate information in the "Note Panel".

If you need another level in the hierarchy of your information, then put the Notes in 2 or more Evernote "Notebooks". 

@s2sailor - The same approach might work for you.

Or how about this? Change the structure of your Evernote Notes so one "Note" is one and only one of your "topics". Put the name of the "topic" in the title of the "Note" and details about the "topic" in the body of the "Note".

Then, give an Evernote "Tag" to each "topic" Note that indicates what meeting (or meetings) it applies to. Give each Note another Tag that indicates how "important" it is.

Then, when the meeting starts, have Evernote search for the appropriate meeting "Tag" and those "Notes" which meet your "importance: criteria. 

A side-benefit of this structure is that you could easily develop a list with Evernote that shows all the high "importance" topics, regardless of the meetings they apply to.

@Analyst444, some good ideas thanks, but this would require much more managing of the meeting notes than I currently do.  If I wasn't presenting the note or needing to occasionally jump around to different date entries depending on the discussion flow then I would consider it.  As it is, having it all in one note is better for my workflow.  I appreciate the ideas though.

19 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Not necessarity, It depends on your use case.  As an example, I have a weekly status note where I keep track of different topics and provide dated entries in each.  This note gets presented to a group of people.  I would love to be able to collapse any entries that are not important for that particular meeting to help provide focus on the issues that do need to be discussed.  This could be duplicated with many separate notes and links but manuevering through that live in front of a group would be very messy.  Much similar to be able to just collapse or expand sections as needed.

I'm not sure it is that different.

In your version each project has a name and some kind of button or open arrow beside it. You present the note and for each project you wish to discuss, you click the arrow and it opens that project in the note. If each project only has a few lines as you show above then your use case might prove more slightly more effective.

However if you have less than a screen's worth of projects with only a few lines each project, the most effective thing to do in that case might be not to have any hide or drop down or link at all, with a screen's worth of projects, just list everything out.

But if you have a project with more than a few lines of material underneath it or say meeting notes with third parties then I think the Evernote linking system is similar to the collapse feature. 

Let's look at the steps you'd go through in each system with a large project system.

In your version, you click the project and it opens several screens worth or material or even more sections that you click open to reach whatever section or sections you want to discuss with the group. To move onto another project cleanly, you'll need to scroll up and close up each of these opens OR at least close the big one  up. Or you could continue to scroll down in the note until you reach the next project.

In the current Evernote situation, you open a similar note and click on a project. Instead of opening in that note you are taken to a new note where you may have more sub-projects that you may click to jump to. So far this is similar in ease to your version. How about going back? Use the back arrow button which you've added to your toolbar. This is the one place where your system might have an advantage because in your system if you arr close to the top of a section, you could just close the whole section in one click. On the other hand if you have scrolled down quite a bit the Evernote system will get you back quicker since you don't have to scroll back to the top. 

And the Evernote system has an advantage of opening each project away from other projects which might help with focus and possibly confidentiality. 

One more overall thought. This might be a case where having a small dedicated notebook would be the way to go.Then each project could have its own note and the list of projects is always accessible at the note book level. 

48 minutes ago, Candid said:

I'm not sure it is that different.

In your version each project has a name and some kind of button or open arrow beside it.

It is.  The note is for one project and let's say this project has 10 sections.  In every section there are dated entries.  Typically a new entry for each week.  The weekly discussion may involve only some or all sections and may include only the most recent dated entries or some from weeks before may need discussion.  Using links to jump around from topic to topic and to different dated entries real time would be very messy.  Much simpler to just have it in one note and collapse the sections, and/or dated entries not needed for that day.  Also, and I neglected to mention this earlier, each week I post the status to a wiki for archive and having everything in one note I can quickly just copy and paste.  If the information was spread across multiple notes it would require more steps to first collect the information for posting.

@s2sailor - Unless you are the low man on the totem pole in these meetings, why not consider suggesting to everyone else that they get their own copy of Evernote and then you can share a Notebook (or two) with each of them that has all the potentially relevant information. - - - During a meeting they can look up the information to discuss as well as you can.

If that doesn't work for you, then consider reading up on doing "date" searches with Evernote. Between "Create Dates", "Update Dates", befores and afters, Evernote offers a lot of different search variations.

@Analyst444, I realize that you are trying to help, so thanks for that.  I've very familiar with the search syntax and saved searches but that really doesn't help here.  Let's just leave it at, IMO, links though useful for many situations, don't work for all situations and collapsible sections would be much better.  I've voted this one up even though there is another similar thread out there.

+1.  I use bulleted lists all the time in Evernote for lists/outlining. If they get longer than a "page" (what is visible on the screen at one time) or have more than a couple of levels of hierarchy it becomes a bear to try and read/write. You have to constantly scroll up/down to figure out where you are in the hierarchy. I've switched over to Workflowy for some of my lists, but I really wish I didn't have to have notes in multiple places. I have to constantly remind myself where it is. Did I put that in Workflowy or Evernote? This would seem to go against the Evernote brand tagline: Remember Everything. Please add this feature, Evernote! 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2016 at 7:36 AM, gazumped said:

Edit:  Apologies in advance that this sits in the Windows area - there isn't a general 'all OS' option yet,  but I'm taking it that everyone wants this to apply to ALL Evernote clients.

There is now. Fixed that for you, gaz. :) 

• Like 1

+1 from a premium user.  We NEED this.  I would like to be able to fold on {{{ and }}} or fold from heading to heading.

• Like 1

+1 premium!

Where we can see status of this feature? Any issue tracking system link?

This feature request is really OS independent.  Shouldn't it be combined with the same feature request under General Discussions?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, s2sailor said:

This feature request is really OS independent.  Shouldn't it be combined with the same feature request under General Discussions?

Maybe now that they have a common editor (though I don't know exactly how widespread its use is), that's probably a good idea.

Here it is a year after Michael made his proposal. I got here because i was trying to find out how to do hide and show in one of my notes that is getting very long. So i at least want to second his suggestion.

6 hours ago, Keithen said:

Here it is a year after Michael made his proposal. I got here because i was trying to find out how to do hide and show in one of my notes that is getting very long. So i at least want to second his suggestion.

Hi.  The more votes each suggestion gets,  the more significance Evernote will assign to it.. so after a year and zero votes...

The original advice is still good - don't do long notes,  do lots of short ones...

• Like 1

Please add on this feature as soon as possible. This request has been here since 2011... I am really growing impatient about this...

• Like 1

Another up vote!

I often save details like code and log file snippets that are essential to keep for reference, but I don't always want to scroll past them in the note. I put them at the end now, but it sure would be handy to place them in line/context where they belong.

As @JMichaelTX pointed out. 

There is a near identical request in the Windows Desktop Product Feedback  with +61 votes.

How many folks here would chip in for donuts to the development team that rolls this out? I know I would!

This feature would be very beneficial.  I'm currently looking for this in other programs/apps, lets hope it gets implemented soon so i can stay with Evernote.

• Like 1

PROBLEM:

Sometimes I have multiple PDFs, images, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on a related topic. I want to keep related documents grouped together but adding them all to one note makes it extremely difficult to find what is needed because the documents all seem to run together.

SOLUTION: 

1. Make it easy to place a number of documents in one note in condensed format. Contents should display as a sort of outline of all contents contained therein. Will promote increased organization and easy access.
  2. Create collapsible sections within a note. Each collapsible section has a label/title to identify a sub-topic in the note.
    1. Collapsible sections function like grouping rows in MS Excel allowing you to quickly collapse and expand similar data to create more useful views.
    2. Expand / Collapse button (triangle) left of the title to view or hide section contents.
  3. Within the section, individual documents are displayed with a title and image of the first document page.
    1. Document display concept is similar to how Windows Explorer displays multiple documents in a folder. You see an image of the first page and a label (could be the document name OR user created title).
  4. Moving collapsible sections. In cases where a note contains one document.
    1. Create a collapsible section containing the document.
    2. Right-Click on the collapsible section and select "Move" to move the section from one note to another note.
  5. Within a note you can drag and drop documents between collapsible sections via their document image.
    • Sections can be reordered by dragging and dropping the section title.
  6. Viewing Content
    1. Single click on document image to expand and read it.
    2. Double-click to open it in a separate window or app.

Edited by PGD
Misspelling
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, PGD said:

PROBLEM:

Sometimes I have multiple PDFs, images, documents, spreadsheets, etc. on a related topic. I want to keep related documents grouped together but adding them all to one note makes it extremely difficult to find what is needed because the documents all seem to run together.

I'm not seeing Evernote as the tool for this.  
The editor is good for notes, but I don't think of Evernote's core function as a word processor

fwiw  I keep the my notes short, and use links to "sub notes".
          My version of expanding a section is double clicking a link.
          To compress the section, I click on the back arrow

My response is different from the prior two.  Evernote is not the "current" tool for this, but I agree with you that it should be added.  In at least my opinion, collapsible sections would be a very welcome and useful enhancement to Evernote.  If you need something immediately then definitely take a look at Workflowy.  Its implementation is very smooth.  The table of contents approach with short notes is helpful but not useful in all work flows.  

There are a couple of other requests for this in the forum.  Here is one that you might want to upvote.

+ 1!

Would be much appreciated when it come to long notes!
I think is EN is not only about taking notes, but also the beneficial to read your note afterwords 

In a nutshell:
If possible, Evernote should try to implement a feature that allows u to hide and unhide sections by clicking on a headline.

Background:
I myself am a medical student, and when I write notes in Microbiology I typically make a notebook for that class, and notes on the bacterial genera (see screenshot). In these notes there are typically around 5 different bacteria with detailed descriptions about structure, clinical disease and so on. This arrangement works, but feels a bit overwhelming when I revisit my note. Too much information...

Solution:
However, if I could hide and unhide the different bacteria (by clicking on the 'headlines') it would make it so mush easier to review my notes and find the things i'm looking for.

Hope it makes sense. If implemented correctly I'm sure this could be a GREAT HELP for many users.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 12.50.54.png

+1 Every year for the last five years, I have been checking in to see whether this feature is available. It is also my one big reason for continuing to use Workflowy/OneNote and not adopting Evernote. I have several friends who feel the same. Please give us expand/collapse!

• Like 2

+1  This is probably the main thing holding me back from using evernote as a note taking app. This is SUCH a vital feature!

• Like 2

Moved to Evernote Feature Requests subforum. Now you can go ahead and upvote it...

• Like 3

On 24/11/2016 at 8:46 PM, jefito said:

Moved to Evernote Feature Requests subforum. Now you can go ahead and upvote it...

Thanks Jefito!

There's a chrome extension called "AlterNote Editor" that syncs with your evernote, and it has basic collapsing functionality. Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult for evernote to implement if a third party is able to do it. But hey, maybe there's some technical reason they're holding off on it.

29 minutes ago, pnewcomb said:

There's a chrome extension called "AlterNote Editor" that syncs with your evernote, and it has basic collapsing functionality. Seems like something that wouldn't be too difficult for evernote to implement if a third party is able to do it. But hey, maybe there's some technical reason they're holding off on it.

I think having a kazillion other things already scheduled might be part of it...:)

This is a great idea. I came to the forum looking for this exact feature. Please add!

• Like 1

I'm a self-employed producer/musician, I hold the fabric of my life together in the Evernote app (which was an ENORMOUS upgrade from Apple's Notes.) What I am dying for to appear in any notes program, is the ability to make a folder inside a note; I want to be able to, within a list I've made in a note for example, be able to click on one of my list items and it would drop down a text box where I've expanded on the idea that I've put in my list. I can not believe that it's 2016 and our organizational softwares are still one dimensional!! For me this would be a HUGE game changer in my ability to store ideas but still be able to look at the major points from a bulletpoint format. (read: without having to make a new note or some kind of complex table, just to write about a small point I've made in a note.)

If this is possible and I just don't understand how to do it, I humbly withdraw my comment. And please let me know how to do that! Let me know if I can be more clear, happy to expand on this idea. Do let me know if anybody else thinks this would be INFINITELY USEFUL!!!! 

Evernote with text collapsing will remove all other Outliner software. I read all threads, and noticed the original suggestion was made in 2014. Currently, I use multiple software, OmniOutliner (Mac), UV Outliner (Windows). If Evernote introduces the collapsing text feature, I will subtract all other software, and can totally focus on it. Because of shortage, I use Evernote only as a web clipper and simple note taker, which make me remained in free user state. The new feature will boost my usability, and finally make me sign in the premium feature. Thanks.

On 2016-12-29 at 4:26 PM, jamestakesnotes said:

What I am dying for to appear in any notes program, is the ability to make a folder inside a note; I want to be able to, within a list I've made in a note for example, be able to click on one of my list items and it would drop down a text box where I've expanded on the idea that I've put in my list.

fwiw  I create a new note (sub-note) and include a link in the master note
         The navigation arrows allow me to move back and forth
         For example: 
Project: aaaaaaaaaa                           (master note)
                               Project: aaaaaaaaaa - bbbbbbbbbb  (sub-note)

1 hour ago, TSung said:

The new feature will boost my usability, and finally make me sign in the premium feature.

If Evernote had a $ for every user that said .......

• Like 3

This morning, I opened up Evernote to create some notes about a project that I am the leader for.  As I started writing, it became apparent that an outline form would be more appropriate.  So I clicked on the bullet icon, and started adding thoughts and ideas in a bulleted format.  When I was looking over the document, I realized that I needed to move some of the bullets around.  So I clicked on one of the bullets, and tried to drag it up, but nothing happened.  Of course not.  Because your app does not support true outlining functions like Workflowy.

Please understand that this is not a letter of complaint, but a letter of admiration for the work you have done on your app and a plea to be a little more responsive to the needs of your users. 

I’ve been a premium member of your app for some years and during those years I turned many others on to it. I used it to collaborate in joint projects, also used it for sharing documents that I want feedback on. I absolutely love using the clipper extension on my browser for saving various versions of a webpage to Evernote. It has been one of my primary go-to apps for doing research and organizing. However…

However, I am writing in the past tense because, as my work has evolved, so has my needs, and I am finding that I have to lean on a couple of other apps these days to make my work easier for me and my collaborators.  There are specific shortcoming of EN that have driven me to rely more on other apps.  I have written to support in the past about some of these, and while there was some upgrades that made it easier for users (list view at top, duplicating notes, etc), the blaring one that has not been addressed is the outline function.

I sent this to you back in 20150710

"I love that I can create documents in outline form, both bulleted and numbered.  It is my preferred way of sorting a complex project into its sub-sections, etc.  It would be so much better/easier/faster if I had the ability to move bulleted items up and down and re-arrange a list, again, without having to cut and paste.  Sometimes, when I have an outline with multiple indents, C&P gets a little cumbersome and sometimes it just does not work.  I really don't like having to use the MS Word to work with my lists/outlines, etc, but currently that is my only choice, unless I am not aware of how to move around a list/outline."

Of course, not too long after I wrote that, I discovered WorkFlowy, which by far has the best outlining technology I’ve come across, making MS Word totally obsolete in that respect.  Unfortunately, Workflowy does not have the formatting and note management ability of EN or Scrivener. So I use both EN and WorkFlowy, which gets a little cumbersome, because they don’t (can’t?) talk to each other.

And then there is the limited text processing functions of EN. I have now taken to using GoogleDocs, which has almost totally replaced MS Word for me, for creating work that needs collaborator’s input and comments.  I find it a lot easier to convince many partners to use GoogleDocs for sharing and collaborating, there is no emailing, no back and forth. I write an article, give various sharing options to others, and I get their comments in real time, sometimes as I am writing the document. And since apparently everyone out there uses GoogleDocs, and the learning curve is almost none, everyone so far has agreed to use GoogleDocs to collaborate on a document.

So in my world, I use Evernote for clipping articles for reference -both on my iPhone and Mac; I use Evernote for creating Stacks, Notebooks and Notes for each Department and Division of my work that I am responsible for; I use Evernote for jotting down insights, ideas, etc. as they come to me.

This part EN does wonderfully.  However, I also have to use Workflowy to organize my universe of duties, functions and work activities, because I can very easily isolate a group of functions, and move each step around in their outline form, and create docs that I can publish and share. Of course it totally lacks in word processing functions. And for that I use Google Docs, like I would have used MS Word in the past, to Write.  Write letters, write proposals, write stories, write essays, etc.

While I understand that Evernote can’t be all things to all people, it would be such a super app if it at least incorporated some (all) of Workflowy’s features in the outlining department.  

Have you thought about acquiring Workflowy? Of course there is always the possibility that Google will acquire both Evernote and Workflowy and make GoogleDocs the THE leader in document creating and sharing.

Love to get some feedback or response to this post.

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  and while Evernote employees lean in from time to time to deal with tech issues,  I don't think the folks involved operate at a level that could comment on possible acquisitions,  and I know that Evernote only very rarely comments on works in progress. 

They have been working on the Editor module,  which as of last year is now common to all operating systems,  with a view to developing things like better bulleting tools once,  rather than have to code them individually for iOS,  Mac,  Android and Windows.  This year they're taking a look at Evernote Web to try and bring the browser-based app more in line with the desktop versions.

Better editing tools (of various sorts) have been a common refrain for years,  and hopefully now Evernote will be in a position to deliver them.  Bulleting and tables (believe it or not) are actually better than they were - or maybe they're now just consistent across all platforms.  I'm sure there will be more development in future.

At the moment (still) clicking the up arrow (top left of page) in my Windows system doesn't add a vote.  If you find the same,  click down!

For those of you, who wait as desparately as I am, there is a workaround. Use SUblime Text as frontend for Evernote. All you need is to install the evernote plugin for sublime text and it works

On 2017-01-12 at 5:03 AM, StefanPapp said:

For those of you, who wait as desparately as I am, there is a workaround. Use SUblime Text as frontend for Evernote. All you need is to install the evernote plugin for sublime text and it works

There are many solutions to having word processing features with data stored in Evernote.

I think the consensus of people posting in this discussion is: they only want to use the Evernote editor and the features must be built in.  The use of different editors and formats is not an acceptable solution

My solution is to use the Word/Pages - what are the benefits of SUblime Text?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

They can not accept the fact there are different editors and formats for the data

Not sure about that ..

I think folks are just saying they would find this a beneficial addition to Evernote, at least that is the camp I'm in.

• Like 1

Please add on this feature as soon as possible. This request has been here since 2011... I am really growing impatient about this...

Are you able to add a feature where you can highlight and designate the highlighted for being collapsible and expandable with a +/- button?

Collapsed:

+ My Notes

Expanded:

- These are my notes
   I can expand and collapse this

3 hours ago, dmcmaste said:

Are you able to add a feature ...

Are they able to?  Sure.  Have they shown any interest in doing this?  Nope.

I would find this very useful as well.

Premium user here. I added my vote for a feature to extend sections of text to Evernote. This is something that adds a lot of clarity to my Confluence documents.

From what I can see. Over three years ago this "collapsible" outline capability has been requested. Can we at least get a hint that 

a. It will be satisfied ( and when) or

b. We better forget it.

Leon

18 hours ago, rogsonl said:

Can we at least get a hint that 

a. It will be satisfied ( and when)

No hints, we can only post requests and indicate our support by voting

>>b. We better forget it.

Personally, I carry on and work out how I can use features like "text collapse"
My approach is to switch to dedicated word processing apps that offer the feature.  I continue to file the documents in EN.