Toggle list

ajschmidt
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

On 7/2/2019 at 10:50 AM, DTLow said:

This has been mentioned before and requires directly editing the underlying enml/html code.

I've successfully tested it on my Mac

I actually did get it working . As I mention in the video though, once I navigate away from the note, Evernote strips out the <details> tag. https://youtu.be/YEFytunlJZg 

• Level 5*

They already have this ability in the left hand pane allowing the collapse of notebooks, shortcuts and tags. Now if they will only add this into the main editor ... he's hoping it will show up in the new editor.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:49 PM, gazumped said:

Whatever

Why so much hostility and defensiveness? Even the behemoths like MS Word and OneNote can collapse text. If MS thought it was a "necessary" feature to include in their package (let alone Workflowy and Notion among the "newcomers" who have actually been around for years at this point ), it's not such a ridiculous thing to expect from Evernote who directly competes with these services. There is no need to admonish a person whose views have obviously been validated by Evernote's competition and are not limited to a single user in any imaginable way.

In my view, the sad part is that even if Evernote does end up introducing this feature, it's still playing catch up (and not just with a very old user request) but also with feature parity with it's competition.  

At some point the users would want to mold the software into something that works for them; and not mold the way they work and think to fit someone else's vision for the software. 

• Level 5*
On 7/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, RY27 said:

Why so much hostility and defensiveness?

As an hostilty example, you chose "Whatever"
I think a better eaxample is "Evernote has shown itself to be a dysfunctional company"

This is a feature request discussion.  Users can indicate their support using the vote button in the top left corner.
This is how I indicate my support.  I'm also interested in work-arounds
I'm not into "BOOHOO, Evernote is so bad" posts

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As an hostilty example, you chose "Whatever"
I think a better eaxample is "Evernote has shown itself to be a dysfunctional company"

This is a feature request discussion.  Users can indicate their suppot using the vote button in the top left corner.
This is how I indicate my support.  I'm also interested in work-arounds
I'm not into "BOOHOO, Evernote is so bad" posts

To clarify, my comment about Evernote being a "dysfunctional company" was not an off-hand remark. It was based on actual tech reporting that you can read. For example:

Evernote lost its CTO, CFO, CPO and HR head in the last month as it eyes another fundraiser

The 3 Stages of Evernote’s Fall

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, RY27 said:

Why so much hostility and defensiveness?

You read a lot into a one-word clip from a couple of paragraphs where I thought I was disagreeing politely with another post and pointing out that Evernote doesn't actually provide the features you apparently need,  so the realistic options available are:  adapt -or- migrate.

I also pointed out later:

On 7/2/2019 at 2:39 AM, gazumped said:

We don't know (and Evernote won't -usually- say) what their priorities are,  so 2025 might be realistic.  Or it might happen 4 or 5 years sooner than that.  Watch this space

When a feature is missing for whatever reason,  adding it isn't a trivial exercise no matter how minor a tweak may be involved.  Evernote probably plans its schedule a couple of years ahead,  so a development has to be planned,  fitted into the calendar,  executed,  tested and released - a process in itself which takes months if not years.  So requests take a l-o-o-o-n-g time to be fulfilled unless they are already in the pipeline.

Other start-ups do have shinier features - largely because they're climbing on the shoulders of 200M users helping develop Evernote's current platform,  without having more than a few hundred users themselves.  I've no doubt they're growing rapidly,  and adding even more new features as they go.  Whether they survive more than a year or two remains to be seen.  For all its faults Evernote has been around for 10+ years and seems currently to be in a better position than it has been.  Until I absolutely have no choice but to change,  I'm staying here.

That's not blind fanboi-ism - I'm a Virgo (similar to being from Missouri).  It's just pragmatic.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, RY27 said:

Why so much hostility and defensiveness?

There is a very small group of forum members who seem to feel the need to always defend Evernote, and to jump on members whose posts they don't like.  They often come across as hostile whether or not they intend to.  My advice:  just ignore them.  They are not going to change, and you will just be wasting your time trying to respond to their defensive posts.

10 hours ago, David N - Research Analyst said:

To clarify, my comment about Evernote being a "dysfunctional company" was not an off-hand remark. It was based on actual tech reporting that you can read

If by "dysfunctional" you mean "not operating normally or properly", or, in my words, "not functioning well enough to deliver a high quality product", then prior to the arrival of the new CEO Ian Small in Oct 2018, I would have to agree. 

My assessment is not just based on third party reviews, but my own personal experience using Evernote for a decade, and observing the many failed attempts of Evernote management.  IMO, the most obvious, egregious, example of dysfunction is that for years Evernote continued to make new releases with substantial new bugs, many of them very obvious.

There's good news and bad news. 😉

The good news is that there is a new sheriff in town.  The new CEO Ian Small seems to clearly understand the issues, and really knows how to listen to his customers/users.  He also once (years prior be becoming CEO) felt Evernote had major issues, and, in his words, "fired Evernote" -- he stopped using Evernote.  So It seems to me that he feels our pain, and has set about trying to restructure Evernote.  For evidence of this, see the Behind the Scenes Series  with Ian Small.

The bad news is that Mr. Small has said that it is going to take some time to first complete the restructuring, then to begin adding features many users have been asking for.  He has NOT given a specific time frame, but I get the feeling that it could be 2020 before we see any new features.  That's just my opinion.

But, for the first time in many years, I am very hopeful about the future of Evernote.  I have 20K+ Notes and don't have any plans to switch, even though it has some bugs that really annoy me, and there are a few features that I would really like to have.

Finally, to the point of this thread, outlining/text collapse is a feature I would much like to have, as it would make longer Notes much more readable/usable.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

There is a very small group of forum members who seem to feel the need to ...

There are forum members who seem to feel the need to always put down Evernote with derogatory comments, and to jump on members whose posts they don't like.  They often come across as hostile and close-minded.  I recommend they switch to a  product they're happy with.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:04 PM, DTLow said:

I know that we're not "being held hostage".  Evernote makes it extremely easy to export our data; it's a 30 minute process I run as part of my backups.

>>it is one of the most disheartening issues with this software ... I'm likely most infuriated ...

I successfully use the Evernote editor, knowing it's adequate for basic notes

For word processing features, I use dedicated editors.  More productive than being infuriated, disheartened.

Hence the reason I used the word *feels*

On 7/5/2019 at 10:49 PM, DTLow said:

I'm not into "BOOHOO, Evernote is so bad"

I agree that it's not necessary helpful. But I'm sure it's also cathartic for people to have a forum to complain and vent their frustration with Evernote (often not undeserved). Frankly, if Evernote we're doing such a bang-up job of keeping up with its users' needs and managing expectations, these conversations would not get as heated. I can't think of a forum for another software platform where people get as nasty and brutal to each other. 

On 7/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, DTLow said:

recommend they switch to a  product they're happy with.

Agree, except that if one has already switched to a different product or tried it, I don't see why that person would not share their experience here. Hopefully, that will save a few other people a few hours or a few dollars. 

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Thomas Oatman said:

I have resolved to using the Encryption feature to hide older entries in the note like so:

That works, but I do question the need for a note that contains "older entries"

I use separate dated notes

Upvoted. My to-do list is a mess. I would very much like to collapse tasks so that their sub-tasks/notes are hidden - then I could also re-order them with ease for the day or week, expanding them as necessary.

Other features are great (drag-and-drop re-ordering for a start) but I can't drag-drop points to any location, as if the line directly above where I'm dropping a point is more indented than the one I'm moving, it will inherit the same indent. Best left alone for now.

Admittedly I've not yet dived into the new beta release which includes one mention of "New to-do lists. Recognize at a glance which to-do list items need your attention." though at first glance it seems to be referring to tighter format options and more highlight-options.

If only Evernote would add collapsing/expanding to lists, it would demo much better to clients who want to organise tasks or projects within. I have 3 screens and still find Evernote desperately needs collapsible lists.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I just use Workflowy for indented stuff

I use a word processing app (Apple Pages); the document is stored in Evernote as an attachment

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use a word processing app (Apple Pages); the document is stored in Evernote as an attachment

Yep,  that sometimes too - with Workflowy though you can save a link to the smallest spur of a long and (AFAIK) almost infinitely deep nested structure,  so as long as you have net access your bullets are available.  Works for me...

20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yep,  that sometimes too - with Workflowy though you can save a link to the smallest spur of a long and (AFAIK) almost infinitely deep nested structure,  so as long as you have net access your bullets are available.  Works for me...

Cool. didn't know about that feature in Workflowy, will be handy, thanks!
I ended up using Workflowy as well for indented todo lists and notes, but it's a shame I can't use Evernote for all of my stuff. So much for the "store everything in evernote" ad...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, renato_ch said:

So much for the "store everything in evernote" ad...

"Store Everything in Evernote" works for me
As to the Evernote Editor/format, I find it limited to basic notes

The more info we can easily manage within Evernote, the more info we'll be able to get into Evernote and into the searchable database. Evernote's really missing a trick here.

Remember to up-vote by clicking the arrow in the top-left corner of this page :)!

Really hoping that the "grab area" in new common editor (as seen in the beta web version) is the first step in getting collapsable sections.  The grab area shows up to the left of the new checklist feature, as well as bullet lists.... and "grabbing" a parent item also grabs all the child items when moving them around.  Really, really, really hoping that the Evernote devs add the ability to collapse these items.  That would be HUGE for me (and I imagine most of the 400+ voters on this thread).

Also hoping that the new "Semantic Headers" (aka styles) in common editor are a sign that Evernote will introduce some sort of outlining feature.... I guess we need to see the new common editor make its way to all the different versions of the app before they can expand on the common editor to add these features.  Really hoping it comes soon.

This is THE MOST lacking feature in Evernote presently. To be frank, I'm shocked. Far less adept notes apps have this ability already.

At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!

I say this as a recent sign up (premium user). I made the forum account just to post this!!!

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!

Hi.  Images in tables don't spread out across the available display...

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

This is THE MOST lacking feature in Evernote presently. To be frank, I'm shocked. Far less adept notes apps have this ability already.

Text collapse (Outlining) is a useful word processing feature
Evernote provides a note editor, storing in note format (enml)
Try using a word processing editor - the documents can be stored as a note attachment

>At least the ability to compress images so they aren't so obnoxiously huge when scrolling or trying to find something... Please!

As per @gazumped, If you use a table, the images size is confined to the cell dimensions

• Level 5*

How can there be 18 most pressing lacking features in Evernote? I thought it was nesting notebooks, or full Boolean searches, or collapsible sections, or in-note links, or... or... Anyways:

I can click on an image in the Evernote for Windows application, and I get a nice resize control that lets me magically shrink an image to a smaller size in the note. Works fine.

You should be aware that you're asking for something different than what the original request asks for. You should, in the future, look for a post that asks for what you want, and add your vote, or if there's no such previous request, make a separate one.

5 hours ago, jefito said:

How can there be 18 most pressing lacking features in Evernote? I thought it was nesting notebooks, or full Boolean searches, or collapsible sections, or in-note links, or... or...

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you refer to the "18 most pressing lacking features"?

I can click on an image in the Evernote for Windows application, and I get a nice resize control that lets me magically shrink an image to a smaller size in the note. Works fine.

I've found Evernote to be a very useful tool, but use it almost exclusively on mobile (I have a Macbook which I use for development but don't use it much for personal use). I've found it hard to work with images as note attachments on mobile, and wonder why they couldn't a.) either be collapsible in a type of stack/outline as proposed in this question (which would kill a few birds with one stone), or at bare minimum allow the possibility of displaying images in the same manner as PDF attachments.

You should be aware that you're asking for something different than what the original request asks for. You should, in the future, look for a post that asks for what you want, and add your vote, or if there's no such previous request, make a separate one.

I'm not. I think the proposal in the original request would address my problems, and satiate the needs of others, so I think it is the best current proposal. And I do not see why it can't be done from a programmatic viewpoint.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Try using a word processing editor - the documents can be stored as a note attachment

I appreciate the suggestion, but this is not very helpful. I switched to Evernote to escape the nightmare of syncing .rtf and .md files to a Nextcloud server. This was doable, but subpar in terms of organization (and attachments!!!). Evernote bases much of its allure on the promise of its storage of attachments, emphasized by the release of the new "Scannable" app. I believe basic organizational methods for image storage and/or document organization are not an outlandish request.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Images in tables don't spread out across the available display...

Thank you... An imperfect solution, but better than nothing!

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, Jonnie Doe said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you refer to the "18 most pressing lacking features"?

A lot of people come into these forums, and often whatever they're requesting is somehow the most important feature that Evernote should implement -- I gave an arbitrary number of 18. But there can can only be at most one "most pressing issue" (and that's obviously the most recent issue I requested). Perhaps I should have added the /s sarcasm tag?

I've found Evernote to be a very useful tool, but use it almost exclusively on mobile (I have a Macbook which I use for development but don't use it much for personal use).

That's why it's usually helpful to specify which Evernote application(s) you're using when you post, unless you know it's a global issue/feature, and why I try to be careful about specifying which of the several Evernote application(s) a particular feature works or doesn't work in.

I'm not. I think the proposal in the original request would address my problems, and satiate the needs of others, so I think it is the best current proposal. And I do not see why it can't be done from a programmatic viewpoint.

It's far from clear to me that an image resizing tool is a fix-all for a general collapsible outlining capability (the original request), or even much related to it. It's generally better to keep separate requests separate, but so that people with the same requests can find and support particular proposed features and Evernote can know what's being proposed and how many people want it. For example, I think that having image resize on all platforms is worthy, but if I upvote the topic, what am I really voting for? Just for reference, see #8 from the forum guidelines (https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/). Just a recommendation, though.

Edit: I see now that I misunderstood your initial post's comment about in-note image resizing to be what you were referring to as a most wanted feature, when instead, you were actually referring to the original request for the topic. The bit about keeping separate requests in separate topics  still stands, but doesn't really apply in this case. In any case: my mistake,and my apologies for getting your comments wrong. Carry on.

10 hours ago, jefito said:It's far from clear to me that an image resizing tool is a fix-all for a general collapsible outlining capability (the original request), or even much related to it. It's generally better to keep separate requests separate, but so that people with the same requests can find and support particular proposed features and Evernote can know what's being proposed and how many people want it. For example, I think that having image resize on all platforms is worthy, but if I upvote the topic, what am I really voting for? Just for reference, see #8 from the forum guidelines (https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/). Just a recommendation, though.

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline. There are many things collapsible sections could be used for....

Hopefully this is part of the planned enhancements after the common editor rolls out.  Has anyone seen any ETA on when the beta version in the web app will make it to other versions?  

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, aukirk said:

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline.

We currently have inline/attachment view options for pdfs and Office/iWork Documents    
It would be great if this was available for images

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, aukirk said:

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline. There are many things collapsible sections could be used for...

OK, I see that the post I replied to was initially referring to was about the ability to have outlining -- which was topical, but then the next sentence referred to the ability to resize an image,. which is a different facility altogether. My bad that I conflated them.

1 hour ago, aukirk said:

Hopefully this is part of the planned enhancements after the common editor rolls out.  Has anyone seen any ETA on when the beta version in the web app will make it to other versions?  

ETAs have not been provided for roll-out of any features, nor indeed whether collapsible outlines would be part of the planned roll-out at all.

16 hours ago, jefito said:

Edit: I see now that I misunderstood your initial post's comment about in-note image resizing to be what you were referring to as a most wanted feature, when instead, you were actually referring to the original request for the topic. The bit about keeping separate requests in separate topics  still stands, but doesn't really apply in this case. In any case: my mistake,and my apologies for getting your comments wrong. Carry on.

My apologies in return. English is not my mother tongue and in my home language it is possible to say "at least" as a sort of inclusive request... For example you could say - "couldn't you please take care of the baby, at least feed her?" as an expression. This sentence would mean the feeding is an expected part of taking care of the baby. Hopefully that is understandable.

5 hours ago, aukirk said:

I believe the idea would be placing images inside of a collapsible area of the outline. There are many things collapsible sections could be used for....

Thank you for articulating what I meant in a better way! Much appreciated.

• Like 1

The 'toggle list' option in Notion is an absolute game changer and a feature addition which, based on the new list improvements in the web beta, I imagine wouldn't be too difficult to implement in Evernote. 

In terms of the use case(s) the most recent one is my Evernote blog template. In Evernote it consists of a lengthy table filled with bullets and checkboxes. In Notion, using toggle lists I'm currently building it to take up less than a page. I can then expand only the relevant sections while writing the post. 

I really don't want to have to expand my toolbox when Evernote already covers most of the bases but this is one (relatively) quick addition that would make a huge difference. 

Example below of how it looks in Notion

screenshot.png.8305a74738a71962d37bd4d091bd7293.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
On 12/10/2019 at 4:05 AM, James | Headquarters said:

The 'toggle list' option in Notion

I merged your request with the ongoing Outlining request

>>In terms of the use case(s) the most recent one is my Evernote blog template.

A workaround is to link to a second level of notes

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Wilf Forrow said:

Isn't this effectively 'Text Collapse [Outlining]', which was first requested under that name in 2011, and has 458 upvotes and has been in Microsoft Word and Excel forever.  Yes, 2011.  Come on Evernote!  Essential functionality.

I keep checking the (in progress) beta editor on the web to see if I will be pleasantly surprised.

This has been on the books since 2011? Notion has this feature and it is 2019. What is Evernote doing? The lack of this feature has prompted me as a Premium user to start exploring other apps to replace Evernote because EN lacks such a basic feature for bullet point lists.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, ziggymsmudfud said:

This has been on the books since 2011? Notion has this feature and it is 2019. What is Evernote doing? The lack of this feature has prompted me as a Premium user to start exploring other apps to replace Evernote because EN lacks such a basic feature for bullet point lists.

Post back if you find something better.

• Thanks 1

Still not implemented in 2020? Is the Evernote team interested in the user voice at all? Many apps have this feature already, and it is very important for a professional tool. As a developer myself I cannot understand, what's so hard in implementing this. Maybe the Evernote team can enlighten me?

• Level 5*
On 2/16/2020 at 7:52 AM, Jürgen Bayer said:

Still not implemented in 2020? Is the Evernote team interested in the user voice at all? Many apps have this feature already, and it is very important for a professional tool. As a developer myself I cannot understand, what's so hard in implementing this. Maybe the Evernote team can enlighten me?

Hi. The Evernote team don't (usually) comment on what might,  or might not be in development or how they decide between feature requests,  but it is fairly widely known that Evernote has been doing nothing this past year but re-engineer their existing products - so you might be in luck in a few months time.  Meantime the standard choices are (as already mentioned in this thread) - manage without,  or find another app that works for you.

On 6/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, Dgldy said:

+1

The lack of this feature is literally the single driving factor for me to switch to Workflowy

+1 Same. Collapsible bullets is the #1 feature evernote is missing for me to stay. I moved to evernote when Google Notebook was canceled. It has improved a lot since then but I make massive, nested lists that I need to scroll through all the time.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, ArthurPoorweather said:

+1 Same. Collapsible bullets is the #1 feature evernote is missing for me to stay. I moved to evernote when Google Notebook was canceled. It has improved a lot since then but I make massive, nested lists that I need to scroll through all the time.

Don't understand the need to 'switch to' anything.  You may have noticed that I support Evernote rather a lot.  I also use Workflowy (with links between the two)when I need 'advanced' nesting.  Like I use Lightroom for my images - the best software for each specific purpose.

• Level 5*
On 3/20/2020 at 11:15 AM, Ks_ony said:

And can't get, is it so hard to implement it? why evernote team doesn't listen user requests? (especially from premium users)

Hi. Evernote is in process of rebuilding its app in all the available operating systems to improve efficiency and allow for some of the other major features requests they've received.  They don't (usually) comment on what may,  or may not,  be part of that exercise - but anything that it misses out will likely be easier to create in the future. 

• Level 5

Well .... hrrrm ... this thread was stared in 2011. Obviously arguing with being essential defeats the simple logic that we are able to discuss about it 9 years later, and nothing has happened meanwhile to implement it.

If you need full editing capabilities, just use a full text editor to do so. You can still save the file in EN, open it from there, edit it and save it again, collapsing or not. IMHO it just does not make sense to expect from EN to offer the same special capabilities in each field as the programs that do just this, and nothing else.

Personally I will be comfortable once the new editor is rolled out to set headers and sub-headers independently from the.EN client I am using at any moment. If they collaborate to collapse, even better. But I can do without.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Mark3000 said:

I noticed this has 490 upvotes. Is there a good way for viewing the Evernote backlog to see where it ranks? 

No there is no way to view the "Evernote backlog"
There is also  no way to see Evernote's priority list, but I suspect this feature is not near the top

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, mrkmax said:

I noticed this has 490 upvotes. Is there a good way for viewing the Evernote backlog to see where it ranks?  Apologies, curious ScrumMaster speaking here. :)

If you want to know what's on their frontlog, then you should probably check out the Behind the Scenes series of videos, and also look for posts by @Ian Small

This feature is long overdue. The note taking app on my Palm Pilot 20 years ago had the ability to expand and collapse bullet lists, so I'm sure the devs at EN can sort this. It's also a feature of many XML editors, so it's not beyond the wit of man. Also, OneNote has this (and native pen support on a tablet), so excuses that it's 'difficult to implement' don't hold much water IMO.

If Microsoft can do it with OneNote, there's no reason Evernote can't knock this out of the park very easily.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Ekithump said:

If Microsoft can do it with OneNote, there's no reason Evernote can't knock this out of the park very easily.

Except it's a different company, different code base, different management,  different priorities...

• Level 5*
On 4/5/2020 at 7:17 PM, noneoftheabove said:

The Behind The Scenes series hints that it's something that they're considering with the new editor:

Thanks for digging that up before I could get to it.

i did look for any already posted ideas but didnt use the word collapse in the search so might have missed the one you suggested @Wilf Forrow.  My idea was crude and definitely needs loads refining but would really help 

An alternate way i use is changing color of trivial extra notes to a light color but still leads to scrolling a lot. Anyway , if there's a way to promote it to catch attention of someone from devs , it'll be nice to know

• Level 5*

Requests for this feature have been merged
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

On 6/11/2015 at 11:34 PM, mtnbnd said:

As a devoted Premium subscriber whose workflow relies heavily on Evernote, there is literally no feature I want more than this. 

As an equally devoted Premium subscriber, there is no single feature I NEED more than a toggle list feature. Coda has it, Notion has it, Dropbox Paper has it. It is an ESSENTIAL feature if you're working with lengthy text documents. Surely you guys can see how important it is. It'll also improve performance, which I assume is a high priority for you. 

@Shane D. by the amount of scrolling it took for me to get to the bottom of this thread, it's pretty clear that this is a MAJOR deal for many Evernote users - and has been since 2011. Justin Bieber was only just born in 2011 (I imagine). Can you give an update on this? 

This is an absolute must have feature. Looking through the Evernote Behind The Scenes videos, I saw the ability to move bullets around but it didn't look as though you could collapse them at all, so hopefully I'm wrong but it doesn't feel like its on their to-do list. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Kamal.Sharma said:

it doesn't feel like its on their to-do list.

Evernote don't usually comment until something is released,  so I guess we'll just have to wait to find out...

Agreed! Toggle lists are key... Surprised EN's dragging its feet on this one. Hasn't been a real feature update in too long. If notion had the image OCR and adjustable tables, I'd be outa here. En's capture & integrations are also really good... but they can't rely on that to save them from the competition. 

• Like 1

@wolphboy007 I agree with you but not sure this feature will ever be implemented as it has been requested for 9 yrs that I am aware of, perhaps longer. If it still hasn't arrived I am not going to hold my breath. Notion does have adjustable tables, depending what your definition of tables are, I suppose.

I'm struggling to understand why this feature is not yet deployed. Doesn't it take more time to answer customer requests for this feature for 9 consecutive years, than to actually code it?

I don't know if this has been requested before but it most likely has.

I really miss the simple feature of being able to collapse bulleted and numbered lists.

For better organising and clarity.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, la-Cour said:

I don't know if this has been requested before but it most likely has.

Merged with an ongoing discussion   
To indicate support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, beltran said:

@Evernote team... how hard can it be???

Hi.  I understand the frustration,  but this is a -mainly- user-supported Forum. Although Evernote staffers do read the posts here, and there are Admins to keep everyone in line,  there's no guarantee when that will be.

Evernote are (they say) in process of completely re-coding all of their apps for all operating systems (See the Evernote Blog), so they may have already included some upgrades. But they don't preview details, so we'll probably have to wait until the new versions hit the streets to see what new features exist. 

On 2/20/2019 at 11:42 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting the ability to use text collapse/outlining have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for the ability to use text collapse/outlining here!

Is this idea dead?  It is still a very good one and I'm out looking for a tool that will do this for me.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Is this idea dead? 

We haven't seen any action for the Evernote note editor

>> It is still a very good one and I'm out looking for a tool that will do this for me

Various word processors - I use Apple Pages   
The documents are stored in Evernote as note attachments   
edit: Apple Pages no longer supports Outlines; MS Word is a better choice  

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

We haven't seen any action for the Evernote note editor

>> It is still a very good one and I'm out looking for a tool that will do this for me

Various word processors - I use Apple Pages   
The documents are stored in Evernote as note attachments

OK, I will find another add-on tool, thanks!  I'm looking at workflowy maybe.  I didn't know Pages would do that.  Sounds cool but in testing a bullet list in Pages, I don't see it being able to collapse anything. 

• Level 5*

7 hours ago, wealthychef said:

OK, I will find another add-on tool, thanks!  I'm looking at workflowy maybe.  I didn't know Pages would do that.  Sounds cool but in testing a bullet list in Pages, I don't see it being able to collapse anything. 

Workflowy works for me...  and it's capable of a whole lot more!

I think the outlining solution that would feel most natural and valuable to me is simply to present all headings as nodes in a tree (the heading levels give the structure) and the ability to expand/collapse certain levels. This would give users: 1) a really simple way to create outline items (we're already doing it), 2) an excellent overview of the contents of the note, 3) a really convenient and fast way to navigate the note, and 4) a really good way to focus only on what you are working on now.

It feels like the most natural progression from having styles available because this leverages information already in the document - no need to create artificial outline items.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Henning Tegner said:

is simply to present all headings as nodes in a tree...

...As a matter of interest,  which text collapse apps work this way?  Sounds more like mind-mapping,  which Evernote doesn't include - and in any event seems to me this requires a major rewrite of a core feature of something that's in daily use 24/7 by hundreds of thousands of people...

59 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...As a matter of interest,  which text collapse apps work this way?  Sounds more like mind-mapping,  which Evernote doesn't include - and in any event seems to me this requires a major rewrite of a core feature of something that's in daily use 24/7 by hundreds of thousands of people...

There are a few out there.  Google "collapsible outline app" for which ones.  Mind mapping is usually just another way to view an outline, actually.  They are interchangeable.  I don't think it would take much of a rewrite.  But neither of us knows that.  

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, gazumped said:

As a matter of interest,  which text collapse apps work this way? (heading levels give the structure)

MS Word (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/collapse-or-expand-parts-of-a-document-701786e0-95e2-40bf-bfe5-f0233cd3520c)

I like to use the Office/iWork suites because of their compatibility with Evernote 

• Level 5*
On 6/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, wealthychef said:

Is this idea dead?  It is still a very good one and I'm out looking for a tool that will do this for me.

Workflowy if you want outlining plus a bit.

• Like 1

On the off-chance that product management read this thread then I'd like to add my support for the text toggling (text collapsing) feature.

Long term Premium user and I love Evernote but some long notes with different sections of information are impractical to visualize or navigate without this feature. For some of my technical notes, I have to use Notion because it makes the information so easy to consume & navigate (isn't this one of the main objectives of a note-taking app ?). 

This feature has clearly got a lot of interest and requests so please include it so we don't have to use additional tools which fragment our workflow.

Thanks

• Like 1
10 hours ago, PatC said:

On the off-chance that product management read this thread then I'd like to add my support for the text toggling (text collapsing) feature.

Long term Premium user and I love Evernote but some long notes with different sections of information are impractical to visualize or navigate without this feature. For some of my technical notes, I have to use Notion because it makes the information so easy to consume & navigate (isn't this one of the main objectives of a note-taking app ?). 

This feature has clearly got a lot of interest and requests so please include it so we don't have to use additional tools which fragment our workflow.

Thanks

Your point about toolchain fragmentation is a great one.  I currently use Evernote, OmniFocus for my personal organization.  I recently added MindNode to get this "collapsible outline" feature (plus a lot more!).  

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, PatC said:

additional tools which fragment our workflow

Evernote's editor is adequate for basic notes,
and files of any format can be stored as note attachments

My workflow is not fragmented when using word processing apps, spreadsheet apps, ...

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, Soy said:

Please add this feature! Or maybe make it possible to embed a WorkFlowy list right into an Evernote note?

It's already a feature - it's called "copy and paste".

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Soy said:

Please add this feature! Or maybe make it possible to embed a WorkFlowy list right into an Evernote note?

WorkFlowy does not support embedding their lists   
This is do-able, using other editors; for example MS Word lists, and embedding the document

23 hours ago, Soy said:

I don't think the magic of Workflowy lies in the data format.  The magic lies in how they display it.  So to do what you ask would be very difficult, as it would require executing workflowy within Evernote, literally.  

Contrary to the claims of others, I would think expandable lists are not that hard to implement, but my observation of how Evernote handles bullet lists is that they are doing something very weird with their formatting that does not play well with others.  

What I'm doing now is using MindNode.  To get a list from Evernote into it, I have to copy/paste from Evernote into a plain text file (BBEdit) and save that file with ".md" extension for "markdown" format.  I then open that with MindNode and I get a beautiful mindmap with collapsible outline.  

image.thumb.png.466ea7535cddde4c5e93b734e79a99b9.png

• Level 5*

Or maybe Evernote is waiting for other developers to take up some slack here - http://www.moreproductivenow.com/tusktools_treeliner.html

(I just found this...)

TuskTools Treeliner allows you to manage any or all of your Evernote information in an outline tree format. Use it to organize writing and research, projects and tasks, class notes, you name it!

The program's flexible filtering lets you create unlimited virtual outlines.  And it introduces Item Types to your notes, so you can distinguish between different types of notes within your outlines.  Create folders, projects, "waiting for others" reminders, tasks (with due dates), and more.

Correction:

Maybe an 'oops' there - I have trouble signing up for this beta,  and the page seems like it hasn't seen much action since 2016.  This may be an orphaned product...  Sorry... 🤨