Lost note - but exists in certain searches

Springboard

I've been using Evernote for class notes, and today I noticed that the last day's note was not showing up.  I'm using Evernote 4.6.3.8096, but I have a version of Evernote 5 on another computer, so I took a look there, and the note showed up.  I went back to the first computer and did a search for some of the text, and it still didn't show up.  I looked in the trash and in the conflicting notes folder, but nothing.  But then I did a search for a longer string that would only exist in that note, and it suddenly appeared as an "untitled" note, although when I opened the note the title appeared at the very top of the screen (not in the title bar though, where it just said to click to set title.).  The note also has no date and won't let me add one.  I'm just going to copy the text into a new note, but I'm weirded out by this and hoping other notes aren't being hidden/lost this way.  Does anyone know what's going on here?

I just did an experiment to see what happens.

Made a new note, clicked out of it, then highlighted the note entry in the list. Pressed the "Del" key and noticed "Trash (1)".

Did a Sync, then logged in to the https://www.evernote.com/Home.action

Sure enough, it is not there - so notes in the Trash don't get sync'd.

For me, a search did not find it unless I was clicked in the Trash already.

So I wasn't able to replicate yours exactly (mine got a note title from the first line soon as I clicked out of it).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think the note is in the trash folder.  I don't see it on either computer when I look in the trash.  On one computer it's sitting in the correct original notebook.  On the other computer it doesn't show up anywhere (including the trash folder) unless I do a search with a long enough string that only that note comes up in the results.  And it shows the original notebook up in the "notebook" area of the note.

I guess for now I'll maybe just copy the text over into a new note, and then delete the old note on one computer and let the other weird hidden note just exist as a duplicate on the other computer.  But it's strange and makes me a bit hesitant, as I'm trusting a lot of info with Evernote.

• Level 5*

So this only happens on the version 4.6 client? I can't say that the scenario sounds familiar to me, either personally or anecdotally. You might consider a support request.

So this only happens on the version 4.6 client? I can't say that the scenario sounds familiar to me, either personally or anecdotally. You might consider a support request.

But one of the first things they will have you do is update to the most current version.  So I'd suggest doing that before submitting a support ticket.

So this only happens on the version 4.6 client?

Yes, only on the computer that has the 4.6 version.

You might consider a support request.

I'll consider it, but it's been a week since I submitted one for another problem, so I'm not getting my hopes up at this point for another request.  I'm kind of surprised by how long it's taking.  I was just hoping this might be a common or easy problem that people had heard of, but I guess not.  So since I found the note, I'm just going to chalk it up to some bug and hope it doesn't repeat itself.  And I don't really want to upgrade right now on the machine I use for classes, as 1) I'm worried something else might get messed up soon before finals and 2) I like the UI of 4 much better than 5, which looks all bulbous and cloudy in a kind of Comic Sans way instead of sleek and straightforward.  

Thanks for taking the time to try to solve this puzzle.

Archived