Dropdown notebook list should collapse stacks by default

mackiest

I'm using David Allen's GTD for Evernote setup, but the latest update breaks it a little bit.

Now when I click the dropdown list on a note to select the notebook it should be in, the stacks all appear expanded and I have to scroll down a long list of notebooks for the one I want. Previously I could just click the stack which opened the list of notebooks within it. This is easier when you have a lot of notebooks and are using stacks to keep them in order. This update seems to rob stacks of some of their value, at least in terms of filtering the dropdown list.

Don't suppose there's an option I'm missing to enable the old behavior?

• Level 5*

I have the same display - didn't realise it was a change in behaviour though.  I get 20 notes to a 'view' - how many notebooks do you have?  You could change notebook names - preface them with a "!" forinstance - to get them to the top of your displayed list...?

Does it help to type just the first letter of the name (or of one of the words in the name) of the Notebook right after you drop-down the Notebooks list by clicking?  I think the insta-filter of the search field needs improvement, but it is already good and useful.  As soon as your type any character, the list is flattened (and shortened).

Note that the list is hierarchically alphabetized, with Stacks interleaved with Notebooks-not-in-Stacks.  If many of your regularly-used Notebooks are in a common Stack, you can force all of them to the top of this list by renaming the Stack with a one of the recommended characters.

Brett Kelly lists all the characters in his very worthwhile ebook, Evernote Essentials (p. 73 in v. 4).

• Level 5*

Does it help to type just the first letter of the name (or of one of the words in the name) of the Notebook right after you drop-down the Notebooks list by clicking?  I think the insta-filter of the search field needs improvement, but it is already good and useful.  As soon as your type any character, the list is flattened (and shortened).

Good suggestion right there.

Archived