Files saved in Evernote folder structure not accessible via Evernote. #HoundahSpot

MosesMoses

Idea

I have a file/document/.doc in local Evernote storage on a Mac that is not accessible via Evernote, I use HoundahSpot to find it.

Finder info. on this document:

/Users/moses/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/mosesmoses/external-edits/XXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.backup

The document of interest (.doc) is in that last folder.

I am trying to figure out how this situation came about. 

It is likely that I did this: I used HoundahSpot to locate the document (an older version - see below), opened it via HoudahSpot, edited and then saved it.

(I regularly use Houndah spot to search Evernotes locally but I now suspect this routine maybe causing issues. I like HoundahSpot, and use it to search globally as a gradually transition, e.g., Word docs to Evernote.)

My thinking here being that this was a process that was the same as opening the document via Evernote, editing it and saving it. This appears not to be the case. The unedited version of this document exists in Evernote. The edited version is in a containing folder with a suffix .backup. The unedited version is in another containing folder. Both are findable with HoundahSpot only the unedited version is findable with Evernote.

Any insights on accessing the Evernote file structure and where I may be messing with it, please let me know. 

Thanks

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I didn't understand your reference to Evernote's file structure - attached files are part of the note,  and your suggestion that HoudahSpot may be saving the files you open into a different location,  outside of the note,  seems the most likely explanation.  You need to find a way to save a file back to its original location as part of the note.

• Level 5*

Hi. I also use HoudahSpot. I don't have many attachments myself, but my recommendation would be to find the note, open it (this will launch Evernote), and then open the attachment (the Word document) from the note. This way, Evernote will know that you have updated it. This should avoid the problem you encountered.

Gazumped and GrumpyMonkey

Thanks for the guidance, I have previously followed your guidance to others on this site and thank you.  

Gazumped, 

Hou... does not take any role in save location but it does appear that by editing an attachment independent of the associated Evernote note (Enote) and saving, saves to another location in the E folder structure.

continued reply below,

GrumpMonkey,

There is no Enote associated with the edited attachment.  I am now also worried that I may have documents in the E folder structure that are not indexed and curated by Evernote, … if you know of any method to check this let me know.

I could not use your suggestion -although I like the rationale-

Best,

My current solution: create a new Enote, attach edited .doc to the Enote -relied on Default Folder to record the containing folder (XXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXX.backup) location in the Evernote structure and thus making the Finder path easily retrieve-able, … going forward only open  .doc s via Enote. Clean up loose ends.

I have a file/document/.doc in local Evernote storage on a Mac that is not accessible via Evernote, I use HoundahSpot to find it.

Finder info. on this document:

/Users/moses/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/mosesmoses/external-edits/XXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.backup

The document of interest (.doc) is in that last folder.

I am trying to figure out how this situation came about. 

It is likely that I did this: I used HoundahSpot to locate the document (an older version - see below), opened it via HoudahSpot, edited and then saved it.

(I regularly use Houndah spot to search Evernotes locally but I now suspect this routine maybe causing issues. I like HoundahSpot, and use it to search globally as a gradually transition, e.g., Word docs to Evernote.)

My thinking here being that this was a process that was the same as opening the document via Evernote, editing it and saving it. This appears not to be the case. The unedited version of this document exists in Evernote. The edited version is in a containing folder with a suffix .backup. The unedited version is in another containing folder. Both are findable with HoundahSpot only the unedited version is findable with Evernote.

Any insights on accessing the Evernote file structure and where I may be messing with it, please let me know. 

Thanks

I'm PC, but it sounds like the two desktop version work similarly in this regard.  If you drop a file into an Evernote & you want Evernote to contain the most updated version, you need to open the attachment from within Evernote.  In the Windows desktop, when you open the attachment from within the Evernote, EN opens a temporary/work copy.  When you save the file, EN pushes that copy back into the Evernote.  However, the work/temporary copy may not be deleted.  If someone edits the temp/work copy, it may only edit the temp/work copy on the hard drive & not the copy in the EN database. 

BurgersNFries

Thanks for the guidance.

“If someone edits the temp/work copy, it may only edit the temp/work copy on the hard drive & not the copy in the EN database.“

It appears that I did this and experienced that. The solution: play nice and stay within the Evernote environment. I can do that. But shouldn’t that lauded sync functionality be picking up the changes in the backup (or “temp/work copy”) and syncing across all iterations of the attachment (.doc)? This is clearly not happening, which is a little perplexing.

Some of us just have to tweak the way we do stuff; I much prefer the search function of HoudahSpot to that found in Evernote. I will be paying much more attention to where the searched for attachment (.doc) is located in the Evernote folder structure and avoid opening those in the external-edits folder, the location of the backup / “temp/work copy.”

Thanks

Best,

p.s. Just read on some other thread, that you have 62,000 and advised on a minimalist approach to tags and notebooks, ... great tips, thank you ... I was worried with my 7500+ notes,

• Level 5*

GrumpMonkey,

There is no Enote associated with the edited attachment.

When I use HoudahSpot, I usually see the attachment (it has some kind of code as a name) and then the note that contains it (the green icon). I click on the green icon instead of the attachment and everything works out fine. However, it has been a long time since I have put a word document into Evernote. I have only images and a handful of PDFs (mainly in shared notebooks for my students). It could be that word documents show up differently (perhaps because Free accounts don't index Word documents?), but that seems unlikely, because Spotlight would index them within the note (I would think).

Anyhow, your plan going forward sounds like a good one.

GrumpyMonkey:

Thank you for the replies,

You wrote: “When I use HoudahSpot, I usually see the attachment (it has some kind of code as a name) and then the note that contains it (the green icon). I click on the green icon instead of the attachment and everything works out fine.”

Yes, I see this and sure this works, you are effectively here, if you are on a Mac:

/Users/moses/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXX/ENNote/_records/0/4/2/0

But I am also here:

/Users/moses/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/mosesmoses/external-edits/XXXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

This appears to the location of the backup /“temp/work copy,” that is a local iteration of the attachment/.doc that can be edited and does NOT sync.

I am using a premium account.

Henceforth, I will only be using the former, and quit tinkering in the external-edits folder, I have a suspicion that said tinkering will yield a few issues in the near future.

Thanks for the guidance, 

Best,

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey:

Thank you for the replies,

You wrote: “When I use HoudahSpot, I usually see the attachment (it has some kind of code as a name) and then the note that contains it (the green icon). I click on the green icon instead of the attachment and everything works out fine.”

Yes, I see this and sure this works, you are effectively here, if you are on a Mac:

/Users/moses/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXX/ENNote/_records/0/4/2/0

But I am also here:

/Users/moses/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/mosesmoses/external-edits/XXXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX

This appears to the location of the backup /“temp/work copy,” that is a local iteration of the attachment/.doc that can be edited and does NOT sync.

I am using a premium account.

Henceforth, I will only be using the former, and quit tinkering in the external-edits folder, I have a suspicion that said tinkering will yield a few issues in the near future.

Thanks for the guidance, 

Best,

Well, I just click on the icon and the app opens it up for me, so I don't pay a lot of attention to where each of those Evernote notes are located. My understanding of the CoreData location is that it is actually not where anything is located, but the avenue through which we go to find things. If you look at the size of the CoreData folder, for example, it should be almost non-existent. I admit, I am not clear on its function, because it seems to be a fairly recent addition to the app file structure, so I could be completely wrong.

At any rate, I would avoid the other location you mentioned (and anything that isn't a green Evernote icon), test out the process (clicking on the note containing the attachment, editing it, and saving it) and see what happens. My guess is that you will no longer have any problems.

Archived