How do you clip Facebook posts into Evernote?

hgroteva

Idea

13 replies to this idea

Save the image to your computer then drag it to an Evernote note (or just onto the desired notebook). 

You can drag the photo straight from your browser into Evernote, or into a specific note. 

You could probably just highlight the image, copy (ctrl-c) and paste it into the body of a note (ctrl-v)

You can also try setting up an IFTTT recipe for repeated tasks (www.ifttt.com)

• Level 5*

Facebook posts are a bit complicated - they may contain links / videos / pictures to other services,  and the formatting of the item is pretty variable.  If you're trying to clip more than a picture,  you're probably better off highlighting the area and clipping 'selection' - it won't be an exact copy, and you won't get things like embedded videos.  It might be an idea to raise a support ticket if this is something you do a lot - Evernote might be able to develop something for the future..

• Level 5*

A little known trick of Facebook is that clicking the post's Date will take you to viewing just that particular post (gets rid of the feed/timeline, or anything else surrounding the post). You can then select it all and clip as a Selection. I've had pretty good luck using this method - you don't get the chat sidebar, at least.

Not impressed with the capture of facebook posts. I think this is an essential feature. It should be integrated so you can just click "share to evernote" or something. I can get the clean HTML from the API, so I know it is doable, but it defeats the purpose if I have to code my own. Maybe having an open source "recipe book" would be a good way to go to crowd source some of these things if there are too many things to code.

Hi all, 

This is very interesting and we are pondering building a custom clip for Facebook. We'd like to know a bit about what users would like to see the Web Clipper doing on Facebook and anything that helps us understand the use case better. Please share your ideas and wishes. 

Jbignert, I'm an author, and on Facebook, I often ask my readers/fans questions -- which results sometimes in very useful, but very lengthy discussion threads (with hundreds of messages), which I'd like to archive.  (Recent ones dealt with proposed titles for my upcoming 23rd novel, and a discussion of if the US wanted to annex Canada, how they might go about it.)

I want to archive them in their entirety.  Facebook does let you isolate a single discussion thread by clicking on the subject's posting time/date stamp BUT it doesn't EXPAND all the messages in the thread, if they're lengthy.  Instead, you'll see "See More" after the truncation for some of them, and for others, replies will be nested underneath specific posts, so you'll see "View more replies" after those posts.  And, of course, Facebook only shows you so many message in a thread at at time; you have to keep clicking "View 9 more comments" (or whatever the number happens to be).

So:  I want a clipper for Facebook that unfolds / expands all comments, including sub-comment replies, in their full text, along with the poster's name highlighted, and with the Like (Thumbs up) counts and date stamps, but, ideally WITHOUT the "Like · Reply ·" buttons (which are useless in an archive), and I want it all as editable text (not a PDF).  If you could offer that functionality, it would be AWESOME, and I suspect would (if properly promoted) attract a lot of Facebook users to the Evernote product.

• Level 5*

↑ Everything RobertJSawyer said! I manage the Facebook page for my workplace, and it'd be great to have Evernote support clipping of posts + expanded comments. I'd totally use it as a way to archive conversations on Facebook for future reports and social media strategies. Facebook's new Memories thing they're doing, to show you posts from your past on that day, also helps me realize that just because I put events on Facebook (like travels overseas), years down the road they don't always work like they used to. Comments are missing from people who left Facebook, leaving gaps in conversations. I'd love to have had some way to keep them - and archiving to Evernote would be fantastic!

+1 to what RobertJSawyer said (but I'd like an option to save as PDF as well as editable text).  I am a historical costumer and keep notebooks for specific projects (current and future) as well as notebooks on various time periods I am interested in. I follow quite a few FB costuming boards that are filled with excellent discussions on topics that I may not need immediately, but want to save for future reference. (I may be currently working in the 16th century but find an interesting thread on the Viking board). The primary reason I bought Evernote premium was the webclipper feature, hoping I could use it to keep track of all the good info on FB that I end up not being able to find again when I really need it.  I was a little underwhelmed at the non-intuitive method of saving FB posts.

Since I am clipping as the thread comes up in my news feed, but capturing for future reference, another feature that would be useful for me would be a URL back to the specific clipped thread in FB , rather than the board home page to see if there has been additional info posted since I clipped. 

I use Easy Copy App of Firefox, then just open the Facebook post, and copy the focused text and it will automatialy copied with an URL, and then I paste it into Evernote, in Evernote it looks like below, and ususally I will use "CRTL+;" for an automatic timestamp. That's it.

•   We are excited to announce the new Evernote Web is now out of beta! Give it a look-see., URL, 2015/8/16 下午 03:34
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Facebook doesn't make it easy to copy its content,  and some video sources come copy-protected too.  @chirmer's trick of clicking the date has kept me going since this thread ground to a halt - Evernote's subsequent restructure might have meant the 'Facebook Clipper' project has been shelved for the time being...

I ran into this same problem with Evernote not copying content from Facebook cleanly. There was a huge thread I wanted to copy (over 150 responses) so each one had to be expanded by clicking on "See More" or "Show Comments" many times. Here's the solution I came up with (for now):

1. If you're using Google Chrome, install "Social Fixer"
  2. Open Social Fixer options, then go to General > Comment Navigator > Watch Comment Navigator while expanding (check this off)
  3. When you open a post with a lot of comments/show more, you'll see what's in the attached picture. Select "Click to expand all X hidden items". Note: You may need to click on this several times. As it opens up the hidden items, there may be more items that need to be opened.
  4. Highlight all of the post.
  5. Right click, go to Evernote Web Clipper > Clip Selection

It keeps it pretty clean, plus expands everything.

ScreenClip.png

Archived