Rense

Feature request: Want a keyboard shortcut for adding and editing reminders

Idea

Well the post title says it all I guess. I'd like to have a method to add or edit reminders without having to mouse to the "reminder" button of the note, for ergonomic reasons. A dedicated keyboard shortcut would be great, but adding more reminder actions to the context menu would already help. I noticed "clear reminder" and "mark as done" are already there.

• Like 4

40 replies to this idea

I completly agree! I'm new to Evernote and have spent practically the last two days soaking up best practices, tips and tricks to fully utilize Evernote to its (and my) full potential. I'm a heavy note-taker, so the faster I can create and manipulate notes the better. Keyboard shortcuts are essential to cutting down time. I realize Evernote is succesful in part due to it's simplicity and ease of use (for such a robust platform), but adding some advanced keyboard shortcuts would be much appreciated for noteaholics like me! Thanks in advance, Evernote Team!

• Like 1

+1

I process all my bills in Evernote and it's a pretty robust process, and I've gotten really good at using those shortcuts to get around.

Shift+Cmd+| - To get to the note list

Shift+Cmd+I - To edit the note info.  Change the created and updated dates.  Assign tags here if I want.

Cmd+' - If I want to handle notes from the note list.

Ctrl+Cmd+M - To assign to notebooks

I feel like I've mastered these and it's nice being able to use over 90% of the app via keyboard.....and then there's reminders.

+1 from me and...

in the reminder menu (When i click the icon) a "today" button in addition to "tomorrow" and "in a week" would be nice. Dunno about you guys, but i would use this button quite often...

• Like 1

You +1ers might think about up voting the request.  The voting control is in the upper left corner of this discussion.

• Like 1

Agree with people above. Short hot keys for reminders will be of great improvement and time savers for my workflow. Now I am processing all my to do list through evernote application and enjoying a lot productivity. 

So, it would be great to have for example Ctrl + R to apply reminder and if we press Ctrl + R + 3 it will put reminder in 3 days. 

Thanks a lot

Regards

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Enkia said:

I'm really surprised there isn't a keyboard shortcut. Mac users can't even create one. 

As a Mac user, I could use an applescript with shortcut key to assign Reminder Date

I agree on having a shortcut for reminders would be really nice. I'd also like to have the "remove date" in IOS version on the Mac version, i.e. keep the reminder, but remove the date. 

Unless I'm missing something (which is highly likely), I have to click the little clock icon twice in order to bring up the "Mark as done" option in the Reminders menu. That's annoying when I'm going through a well of completed articles I need to mark as such. Being able to batch-process the status of articles would be REALLY awesome, but I'd be happy at this point to just eliminate the second click, which ALSO brings up the one option that appears on the first click: Add a date. This first popup is a complete waste of time, but I can't find anything in the prefs where I can disable it. 

reminderpopup-evernote.jpg

reminderpopup2-evernote.jpg

Yet another request for a necessary feature. I mean, how hard could it be to add a menu item on Mac so we can set a shortcut ourselves? 

On 12/17/2016 at 5:41 PM, Amystoneus said:

Unless I'm missing something (which is highly likely), I have to click the little clock icon twice in order to bring up the "Mark as done" option in the Reminders menu. That's annoying when I'm going through a well of completed articles I need to mark as such. Being able to batch-process the status of articles would be REALLY awesome, but I'd be happy at this point to just eliminate the second click, which ALSO brings up the one option that appears on the first click: Add a date. This first popup is a complete waste of time, but I can't find anything in the prefs where I can disable it. 

reminderpopup-evernote.jpg

reminderpopup2-evernote.jpg

Since this thread has been revived, I wanted to address this. The first click on the clock icon activates the reminder (note that the clock turns blue). If you don't select Add a Date at this point, then the note is added to the bottom of your reminder list without a date. The purpose of the second prompt is to allow you to deal with the reminder when the due date/time is reached. So the second Add a Date is there in case you want to push the due date/time on out.

Evernote, I would like to add that I also want this feature. Please add more shortcut keys in general.

Surely it can't be that hard to add more shortcut keys?

+1 

Even keystroke access without a shortcut would be a big improvement. Right now, at least in the Windows app, there is no way to navigate to the Reminders function via keyboard. 

It can be worked around with a script, such as the AutoHotKey script I made for the Windows app (I assume there are similar simple scripting languages for Mac): 

But a native shortcut or even keyboard access (which would simplify the scripting required of the user to create a shortcut) would be preferable.

2 hours ago, jerrylee said:

Please add more shortcut keys in general.

Surely it can't be that hard to add more shortcut keys?

We are using Macs and can add shortcut keys to any menu item using Mac Preferences
58bac142185ac_ScreenShot2017-03-04at5_28_50AM.png.2bbcc674ecfc1895785289d633111ca9.png

Unfortunately Reminders is not a menu item
As a work-around, I made use of Evernote's extensive Mac scripting layer and Fastscripts for shortcut keys
When I add an Appointnent Note, I generate this prompt
58bac24b697a6_ScreenShot2017-03-04at5_19_22AM.png.70bfd1b07265fbc37cc2fcb484fe6a73.png

• Like 1

I agree having shortcut keys to set reminder date and time would be helpful.

also a way to batch tag and set/change reminder date and time is needed.

I am a premium user.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neyghey said:

also all this features should be available on the ios app... without third party apps....

Which features?  IMG_1742.thumb.PNG.804d35937c61708d8f136a4d3d716407.PNG
The Reminder feature is available on the IOS platform

I gave this thread a +1. It is highly disappointing that this feature hasn't been added. In fact, with the latest couple updates, they made it more difficult to access Reminders by moving it to the drop down arrow in the upper right. That means a minimum of 4 mouse clicks to set a reminder. GRRRRR!!!! I am a premium member that has been using the app since 2008. This obviously isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would use the app more and wear my EN t-shirt twice as many times per month if this were added.

reminder.png.d2c86a00d2d76accbdfda267ed1dc46c.png

@Bushgang Great, yet another reason i don't want to update EN for Mac. Thanks for the heads up... Seams like the app gets worse with every update...

@DTLow I was referring to @jtpicards idea to batch tag and set/change reminder date and time

11 hours ago, Neyghey said:

@Bushgang Great, yet another reason i don't want to update EN for Mac. Thanks for the heads up... Seams like the app gets worse with every update...

@Neyghey I believe there is still some work to do with the app, especially around the Reminders. I can't in good consciousness let your statement hang without my overall opinion of EN. I truly believe that EN is the best notes app ever created. I have used OneNote, Google Notes, and many other less known apps but the ease at which EN functions on mobile and desktop for just about anything I want to store and search for later is exceptional. There isn't a product on the market that comes even close! The best feature is the ability to copy the internal link so that you create an ecosystem of personal documentation. I LOVE this more than most software products designed to make life easier. Yes, I am an EN bandwagon fan! And yes, I would love to see continued improvements...especially the ones that get brought up in this forum!

• Like 1