Annotation Problems

After pasting in a screen cap from Skitch into a note, most of the time (90+%), I can't annotate the image inside of Evernote for Windows.  If I click on the annotate button or select Annotate from the menu it does nothing.

I've figured out a temporary (but convoluted) workaround.  The "Annotate a Copy of Image" option brings up the annotation window.  If I close it, delete the new annotate image note, I can the reliably annotate the original image I pasted into Evernote.

Thanks for reaching out -- when it does work, is there something different about the image/note that you have noticed? For example, does it only work with certain types of images? We can try to reproduce this and identify the problem if you could give us more details about what images/notes it works with and which ones it does not.

Thanks!

I've not been able to see any pattern with the images.  Everything I paste in from Skitch behaves this way (haven't tried to paste in from other apps).  I did notice that if I leave the image in the note for an extended period of time without attempting to annotate, sometimes, it lets me annotate without doing a copy.

I have the same problem on Win7 64 bit, but only if I'm attempting to annotate a note with the note open in a separate window.  If  I try to annotate the note from the preview pane of the main window it annotates fine.  I paste images from snipping tool into notes, so the image source is the clipboard.

Thanks for the info -- this looks like a bug. I can reproduce the problem, but a temporary workaround is to first paste the image into the note, then select another note (this will cause the first note to save), then switch back to the first note and annotate the image. We will work to get this fixed.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for this same problem, I am also on Win 7, paste, and cannot annotate even though the annotate button is visible, unless I force a save by moving to a different note and back.  I make very long image based notes, and this causes the note to jump back up to the top (my scroll position resets, in other words).  Ditto once I scroll back down, annotate, and save -- the note saves with the new annotated image and then jumps back up to the top.  frustrating if i am in the middle rather than the end of a long note (say, in the middle of a lecture)

• 1 month later...

+1 for this same problem, I am also on Win 7, paste, and cannot annotate even though the annotate button is visible, unless I force a save by moving to a different note and back.  I make very long image based notes, and this causes the note to jump back up to the top (my scroll position resets, in other words).  Ditto once I scroll back down, annotate, and save -- the note saves with the new annotated image and then jumps back up to the top.  frustrating if i am in the middle rather than the end of a long note (say, in the middle of a lecture)

+1 Here as well.

Thank you for bringing Annotatoin to Evernote! It's fantastic.

Does Evernote know when this bug will be fixed? It's pretty time consuming to click out of the note and then back, especially when the note is lenghty and requires scrolling to return to original photo.  B)

Thanks!

Does Evernote know when this bug will be fixed? It's pretty time consuming to click out of the note and then back, especially when the note is lenghty and requires scrolling to return to original photo.  B)

Thanks!

Evernote rarely publishes ETAs.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the exact same issue on Windows 8.1 so it is not an Win 7 related problem.  Thanks for the workaround.

Me too, same problem. Clicking "annotate" doesn't do anything. Clicking "annote" several times successively gets Evernote into a never ending loop without recovery.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if my issue is similar or different.  Running Windows 7, 64-bit, SP1.  Evernote version 5.8.6.7519 (275519) Public.

I am unable to annotate any image.  I typically will gather images using the clipper tool.  Then I want to annotate them.  When I hover I can see the annotate button, but when I click the button, nothing happens.

This is the primary reason I use evernote.  I love it on the mac, but have to use a company PC at work.  Should I just learn how to use Snagit?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oh my god! The topic has more than 1 year but the problem still exists...

Anyway, I have figured out how to "combat" the issue. You should do next "easy" steps:

1. Select pasted image

2. Press ESC button

3. Right-Click on the image and select Rename.

4. It's not obligatory to change the name, just press ENTER.

5. ANOTATE.

• 3 months later...

I annotate off of both my computer and my iPad. Recently, using my computer, it will not sync my changes. On my iPad, as I annotate, the tool (in the right hand corner) that allows you to switch between the highlighter/pen/text etc. goes away. I have to close out of evernote every time just to switch tools. It is a HUGE PAIN, and I'm considering switching to another note taking service after having issues with both my desktop version AND my iPad.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Level 5

Is annotation of images not working for you? I'm using the latest EN for Windows, and when I copy an image to the clipboard and paste it into a note, the Annotate button is there and it does work (see screenshots). What are you seeing?

Image editing 2-50%.jpg

Image editing-50%.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 9/21/2016 at 4:46 PM, Bitterdude said:

I'm having this exact issue on my macos sierra, can not annotate pdf's... I reported the crash to you.

Hi Bitterdude,

I just upgraded to macOS Sierra last night, and now I can't annotate PDFs-- it barely works-- big problem since I Evernote for school. I submitted a support ticket. Keep me posted.

• Level 5
On 9/21/2016 at 4:46 PM, Bitterdude said:

I'm having this exact issue on my macos sierra, can not annotate pdf's... I reported the crash to you.

Please be aware that (1) these are generally user-to-user forums, not direct communication with Evernote staff (though they do check in periodically); and (2) this is a Windows-related thread in a Windows-related forum--try posting in https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/217-mac/, if you haven't yet.

On 9/21/2016 at 3:46 PM, Bitterdude said:

Hi @Bitterdude, have you submitted a support ticket? If so, would you let me know the ticket number here?

15 hours ago, Mike_Rametta said:

Hi Bitterdude,

I just upgraded to macOS Sierra last night, and now I can't annotate PDFs-- it barely works-- big problem since I Evernote for school. I submitted a support ticket. Keep me posted.

Hi @Mike_Rametta, I'm the agent who took your ticket, I appreciate your patience in working through this with me.

For future reference, we have a Mac Help Section where you can get help from our community for all of your EN Mac related issues. You can find that here:

Mac Help thread

I look forward to receiving your responses!

• 1 month later...

Damn, do you guys even have Software testers?!?!?!????!..
This is such a clear bug!!!
As others pointed out, in order for the anotate option to become available, I have to exit and reenter the note, losing the scrolled screen!!!
It's been 2 years since this issue has been pointed!
But maybe it wasn't officially pointed out.

(Windows 7 64 bit)

• 1 year later...

@EverNote - maybe this might help: 

• I'm experiencing the same issue, but haven't always
  • I've recently upgraded to the latest evernote
  • i take screencaps through jing
  • screencaps pasted into note are .png's
  • No action on hover when on desktop and on-click, all it lets me do is view in a larger overlay window. 

Thx!

Archived