Windows version of Evernote crashing on launch

rbaustin

This issue has occurred twice to me.  

First basic info -

Evernote version : 5.2. (all updates so far) + evernote webclipper under chrome

Computer: Lenovo laptop

Issue occurs after clipping an article with webclipper.  Article will successfully clip, then when I launch evernote on my local system it will attempt to sync, then crash. From that point forward Evernote will crash at launch every time I attempt to open it, no way to access the software, it crashes upon launch.  It works fine on my smartphone and on my tablet but the windows version will crash at launch.  

Attempted fixes include -

1) deleting the offending article from evernote via web access.  Evernote windows continues to crash.

2) Deleting evernote from laptop, completely removing all files and associated files.  Download and install latest version of evernote.  Launch, will crash as it is syncing with cloud.  Further when you load a new version of evernote it installs a "virus" by putting a add-in into outlook without permission.  There is no way to stop Evernote from doing this, it does it without your permission, and inserts itself into other programs, hence the word "virus".

3) submitted 2 different support tickets - providing details and explanations.

a sample response from evernote tech support -

First:
In Evernote:

If you do have any Local Only notebooks or unsynced notes, right-click the notebook name in the left-hand notebook pane and select "Export", then export the notebook to .enex format, exporting tags if desired. If you have some unsynchronized notes, you can go to the Note List view, sort by the "Sync" column, and export any notes that have a * in that column to .enex format before following the above instructions. Once those instructions are finished, you can then import the .enex files you created to restore these exported notes.

Go to File > Sign Out
Go to Evernote > Options
Click on "Open Database folder"
Copy the file with your username (ending in "exb") to a different location. For example, move it to your computer's desktop.
Then:
Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html

Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system (Run it in Advanced mode, and delete every item that is found for Evernote) and then Reboot your computer.

Download and install this pre-release version of the Windows client:
http://www.evernote.com/about/download/get.php?file=PrereleaseWinBeta

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.

I followed the directions, excluding the save part as there is no way to access Evernote (which I had explained to tech support but they ignored).  New beta version crashed upon attempting to sync with cloud.

In the end the solution I have found that worked was to completely remove evernote from my system. Go out on web, search for an older version, (I got version 4.5.10.7472) and load this version.  Works fine so far (4 days).  All notes sync and the software behaves as it should. Best of all, no virus from Evernote in this version, it does not insert add-in's to other software on my system so now no problems with outlook.  Clearly there are issues with the new versions of evernote (even though no one at evernote has acknowledged this). Hope this info assists others as it has taken me nearly two weeks to fix this problem. 

post-162677-0-18087500-1396031743_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi - usually the Revo uninstall/ reinstall and/ or the 'move your database' trick work to ensure a clean installation and a cure for the 'crashing' issue.  Sorry it didn't do so in this case.  There's no 'virus' problem here,  and as far as I'm aware many users are happily loading the new version on their systems.  I'm running the same beta version on my Windows laptop without problem.  However I'd suggest you run with the older version you currently have for a while,  and try to update to the next new version when another is launched.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived