Request: Add external SD card support

flashingstar

Idea

Hi!, I´m using an android 4,1 pone, I recently bought an external sd card specifically because evernote kept telling me I was running out of memory I use evernote a lot, and now I found that there´s no option to store the notes in the external memory, is this true? is there a way to solve this without tricking the pone?, I can´t believe there´s not  such a simple option in such sophisticated pone and with such a sophisticated app

17 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I was looking at a book about Android 4 recently which adds some background to suggest that it's not possible to access the SD card in that version - (apologies if I posted this here already..) and I think separately I found some stats to the effect that around half of Android users are still on 4 (that's "KitKat") which may explain why Evernote aren't prioritising this yet.

Picture.jpg

Agreed.  See also...

I've read that Evernote previously interacted w/Android in a manner that allowed storage of offline notebooks on a device's SD card.

If Evernote developers can (still) enable storage of offline folders to SD card on current Android OS/platforms via Android APIs, and if concerns about data security are part of Evernote's reason to exclude that capability (as one of the posters to the "Request: Add external SD card support" topic has observed or inferred), consider that Android allows for user-initiated encryption of an SD card inserted in an Android device.

As an alternative or supplement, consider implementing a compromise solution that allows offline storage of SOME content from all -- or a user-specified selection of -- Notebooks, even if the location is limited to the device's fixed internal storage.  For instance, allow offline storage of note body text and metadata WITHOUT attached/embedded content such as document files and images.  This appears to be similar to what Evernote's "Settings in Evernote for Android" article...

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313348

...CLAIMS is available as an option, even though (at least in the current Evernote for Android version) it is not.  [I just received confirmation from an Evernote representative that the article should be modified to remove reference to this claimed but (currently) absent feature.]

I agree. This limitation is just plain stupid. I don't want YOU to care about my security, I want to have an app I can use in all my devices. I want to be able to work offline! I don't use evernote with any data that will need security! SO just open that option for the user who want to use it, and put a big disclaimer before. So the ones who want security, use internal device memory, and the ones who doesn't need it, can use the sd.

Agreed. I just removed Evernote from my new Moto X Pure Edition. It has Android 6 (Marshmellow, for those who only recognize Google's goofy candy-related names!), and this version allows the SD card to be encrypted and considered as internal storage. However they still permit developers who insist on keeping their data off SD cards to do so. So even though I am able to save most of my apps' data on the card I can't with Evernote. So I had to remove it. Sad and unfortunate, really, that they are so far behind the curve with Android.

Jim

18 hours ago, Matt W. said:

Hello all,

I have moved this topic over to the Feedback section so that this can be voted on and seen better by the team. Show your interest by voting!

Matt, can you add a link directly to that section?  It'll encourage people to vote on it (and find that section more quickly).

I agree with the above. I want my notes offline but don't want to take up most of my phone's internal storage with it. It's very inconvenient. My first preference would be storage of data on SD card. Maybe another possibility would be enabling me to access notes but not attachments offline - that would save space.  And another option would be for me to find a different provider...

I concur with the above comments.  I'm using a Samsung S5 phone and one of my notebooks is stored offline.  My notebook is consuming over 800mb and I would really like to see all that data on my SD card as opposed to my main phone memory.  This REALLY REALLY needs to be addressed. 

Smartphone standard storage space are not compatible with this EN policy which doesn't allow to transfer data on SD CARD.

Please support teeam address your attention to fix this problem for the sake of your product ! At present you are in perfect shape but just think about Google realizing of this weakness.... 

Just contacted EN support on this.  They DO NOT HAVE AN OPTION to store offline notebooks on SDCard.  (I think I remember that EN did have this feature in a prior version).  The support technician agreed that the KB articles are out of date when they mention SDCards.

• Level 5*

As far as I know, that's still true. If you're a premium user (I assume you are, elsewise you wouldn't be running out of storage), you should designate some of your notebooks as non-offline. That way, they won't be cached on your device.

Archived