Making a notebook not searchable

Hi,

I have been an Evernote user and make use of the application to document my personal, official and confidential data. I create separate notebooks for each of these and also their subsections. Is there a way to make the notebooks containing my confidential data not searchable? I want it to be synchronous notebook (& not just local). And when I am with someone, and search for a particular term, I won't prefer my confidential notes to appear in search results. 

I wonder if I am missing out on some basic functionality in Evernote that allows me to do this. If not, is such a feature being considered? 

Thanks,

Sujit

Hi,

I have been an Evernote user and make use of the application to document my personal, official and confidential data. I create separate notebooks for each of these and also their subsections. Is there a way to make the notebooks containing my confidential data not searchable? I want it to be synchronous notebook (& not just local). And when I am with someone, and search for a particular term, I won't prefer my confidential notes to appear in search results. 

I wonder if I am missing out on some basic functionality in Evernote that allows me to do this. If not, is such a feature being considered? 

Thanks,

Sujit

This is not possible. You would either need to isolate searches to individual notebooks or stacks. Or tag the notes & exclude the notes from a search. The best way would be to put private notes into another account.

• Level 5*

Hi,

Thanks,

Sujit

Selective sync for notebooks and notebook-level encryption (zero knowledge) would be ideal, but I am afraid that is not possible now. Here are some options you may want to consider in combination with Evernote to secure your notes.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1605

[EDIT:] I should have read more closely. If you are just concerned with someone looking at your screen, and not someone else (state-sponsored hackers, etc.) then the separate account is a better way to go. You can toggle quite easily between the two if you have one of them as a Premium account. My advice above is more appropriate for someone who wants to have encrypted data synced to the cloud in some manner. 

• 2 years later...

This would be a very useful feature.

It should be an option for a note (& for a notebook) to flag it as "not searchable". This is different from making the note private. It's just that when you do a text search, that note won't be in the result.

This is extremely useful and it is different from encryption. It's an intermedium level.

Archived