Outlook 2013 Add-in not functioning after upgrade

Bobby Tables

Hello,

I know there are numerous posts regarding this same bug, but after trying all of the solutions presented in them, I am still unable to make the Evernote Outlook add-in functional again.  Everything was working fine until I installed the latest update. When I try to manually add the add-in, I receive the ubiquitous error "...EvernoteOL.dll is not a valid Office Add-in."  Is there any new insight from the community on how to fix this issue? I appreciate any help anyone can offer. Answers to common questions are below.

Outlook version: 2013 32 bit

Evernote version: 5.2.1.3108

Was Outlook closed while installing Evernote?: Yes

Has a reboot been performed?: Yes

Have you tried uninstall/reninstall?: Yes, many times

Have you tried rolling back to a previous Evernote version?: Yes, I have tried several

• Level 5*

I feel kind've guilty that my Outllook plug in has worked more or less seamlessly from 2003 (which wasn't supported) to 2007, 10 and 13 all of which are.  I have had the odd period where the icon doesn't show,  but the right-click context menu still works,  but that's it.  I don't know of any fixes you can apply - I can only suggest that you submit a support ticket and see what the tech team have to say.

We're aware of some intermittent issue after updating from one Win client to the next. We've looked into the code and cannot find anything wrong at this point.

But there are a couple of best practices that I recommend to minimize the risk for problems:

1) Reinstalling the Windows client and make sure you...

- Completely exit all Outlook and IE processes before re-installing. Restart after installation. Then do #2. 

2) Launching Evernote from the Start menu after an update is the trigger that installs the extensions. (don't ask me why but its a Windows thing)

a) start Evernote from Start > All Programs > Evernote > Evernote shortcut and it will install the add-in for the current user.

3) Check your add in settings

- Go to the top of your screen to the little downward arrow where the customized ribbon is. Then near the bottom it says more commands. Click on Add-ins on the left column. 
- Look in disabled applications and you may find Evernote if it is installed on your computer. Highlight it and then press the ‘Go' button. 
- A screen will appear with a list of abled and disabled apps. Click on Evernote.  

Important: If you are part of a network with an administrator you will have to have them change the 'group policy' so that you can enable this app if it still will not allow you to do so. But from there you should be able to get the button and the functionality back.

Let me know if any of the above helps. 

If you've tried a complete uninstall and clean reinstall of Evernote I can only suggest you raise a support ticket (see below)

Thanks. I filed one after you first mentioned it, and just heard back that it's in the queue of bugs to be fixed.  I might try to uninstall and reinstall office too and see if that helps. thanks again for your help.

I've just filed a ticket myself, as the above suggestions by jbignert did not work for me.  Any other suggestions would be great. :)

Outlook version: 2013 64-bit (15.0.4569.1503)

Evernote version: 5.2.1.3108

Was Outlook closed while installing Evernote?: Yes

Has a reboot been performed?: Yes

Have you tried uninstall/reninstall of Evernote?: Yes, many times

Have you tried rolling back to a previous Evernote version?: No, older versions weren't working for me either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue. I got it fixed with the following steps. I have no idea what happened, or why this works, but it did for me.

Jbignert had offered most of this solution. I just didn't want to reinstall the Windows client, so I did the following:

1.On Outlook right-click on the toolbar and select Customize the Ribbon

2. select Add-Ins on the left

3. at the bottom of the box, Manage -> Disabled Items

4. Select Evernote.Outlook and GO

5. Close Outlook and Evernote

6. Here is the wierd thing - Open Evernote from the START menu -> All Programs -> Evernote folder ->Evernote

7. Open Outlook.

The icon came back and the add-in worked again.

I am using Microsoft Office 2010 Ver 14.0.71405002 32 bit, if it matters....

To err is human, but to really foul things up, you need a computer!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Above, Jbignert wrote...

3) Check your add in settings

- Go to the top of your screen to the little downward arrow where the customized ribbon is. Then near the bottom it says more commands. Click on Add-ins on the left column. 
- Look in disabled applications and you may find Evernote if it is installed on your computer. Highlight it and then press the ‘Go' button. 
- A screen will appear with a list of abled and disabled apps. Click on Evernote.  

I tried that and found that Evernote Clipper and Evernote Contact Manager were already checked as though they were active, but there was no icon in the Outlook toolbar.

So I did the following:

• Unchecked both add-ins
  • Closed Evernote and Outlook
  • Re-opened Evernote and Outlook
  • Went back to the add-in list discussed by jbignert
  • Re-checked both Evernote add-ins

The icon then reappeared in my Outlook toolbar.

Archived